PDA

View Full Version : hard and then soft pastels

zedek
04-24-2008, 12:27 AM
what's the advantage of using hard pastels as a base and then adding softer pastels?:confused:

johndill01
04-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Zedek, First, welcome to Wet Canvas.

On a paper with small amount of tooth, it allows a solid underpainting to be applied before applying the final finishing strokes. The hard pastels do not clog the tooth as quickly as the very soft pastels. Both have a definite place in pastel work.

Also can use the harder pastels to blend and soften edges after the softies have been applied.

John

plindley
04-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I find that when I use hard pastels first I can use more than one colour in the base coat and they don't smudge together quite so readily. This allows for 'optical blending' to happen. They are also much easier to use for smaller areas or lines. If you want to create a layer of hatching they work better for that then soft pastels. HOWEVER... I am relatively new to pastels, so other (older and wiser... well, wiser anyway) painters may differ!

Eclectic_Asylum
04-28-2008, 03:39 AM
As others have said it lets you do more layering. Even soft pastels have different hardness and colors within the same brand can vary in hardness. Even when the tooth is completely gone a softer pastel can be added as long as the layer below it is harder. Schminke pastels seem to be the softest and they have a kinda buttery oily feel to them unlike other pastels. They can apply over the top of almost any brand even when there is no tooth.

Jason