PDA

View Full Version : Portrait On The Water

Bongo1
04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-23-2008/129788_Lake_Meade_Drawing.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-23-2008/129788_Lake_Meade_Reference.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait On The Water
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Drawing of a family on a boat on Lake Meade Nevada -- done from the attached reference photo.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I realize that this one needs a lot of work. Please let me know your thoughts. In particular, let me know what I can do to improve the resemblance -- I don't want a photorealistic piece; just want the subjects to be recognizable as the ones in the photos. <br><br>Too much contrast? Poor composition? Poor color choice? <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Bongo

maw-t
04-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Hi Bongo.. One thing that might help on the likeness is to turn your painting & the reference upside down while painting. Also measure how the features relate to one another, like how the space from top of forehead to eyes relates to space from eyes to bottom of nose ..etc.. Hope this helps a little.

thomas w
04-24-2008, 07:38 AM
I think you're off to a good start for the most part. The mother and child seem to be fairly accurate, I especially like the childs big wide eyes. But the mans face looks to be fairly elongated. I haven't worked with pastels in a long time so I couldn't give you any specific tips regarding technique. Good luck.
Thomas W

plindley
04-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I agree... the mother and child look very good... Dad's chin looks too long and wide (I think you probably know that already ;-) ) and his neck is a bit too thick and a little too long. I would guess that that is the reason you elongated the chin... so that the neck wouldn't look too long. That unfortunately pulled the face out of proportion. If you raise the edge of the collar up the side of the neck and adjust the chin it might work. Portraiture is HARD!... I have yet to have the courage to tackle it. Keep going... you are nearly there!

Bongo1
04-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Here's the latest (now a x-post from Pastels, where I've received some great comments). Please let me know your thoughts. Don't hesitate to be brutally frank.

Thanks,

Bongo1

loft artist
04-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Bongo
A very nice family group portrait , I think the back ground needs work on it ! loose the purple colour , highlights are needed on the faces they need more depth . the child in the centre needs to be more defined as this is the focal point of the portrait
great portrait !

John

Corby
04-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Ah this is pulling together nicely and it is richly painted! The womans crooked glasses always attract my attention. You seem to have climed the essence of this family in paint! Nice!

Spyderbabe
04-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Just a quick observation but the childs head is much smaller in the photo.