PDA

View Full Version : Rocks & Rolls

tonyjazz
04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
16 x 20 canvas, acrylics, knives and brushes and lots of layers. On this piece I didn't want to paint the ref photo as is. I wanted to create a painting of a marriage of rocks and the sea. I wanted to paint what I felt when I saw this. C&C's welcome.................TJ

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2008/103497-100_4348.jpg

climber-man
04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
The rocks are certainly the strong point, very well done and good use of rock colors. The water is good except the splash in my opinion is a bit harsh on the round rocks. I've seen many paintings with the foam added by brush which looked excellent. I've seen many of your other works tho and this is good and shows you definitely put in the effort to make each one better than the last way to go tony!

Frank Walsh
04-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Tony, thats a terrific painting, IMO one of your best. Its great watching so many on this forum show so much improvement and you haven't disappointed.:thumbsup:

Frank

mooz49
04-23-2008, 02:43 AM
WOW! .... Tony this is so real looking :clap: .....I am impressed and :envy:

Gillette
04-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Tony
you're on a winner with this, such life in the ocean, and the rocks are terrific.
Jane.

randalljazz
04-23-2008, 03:36 AM
this is muy bonita, tony. i love the colors in the water, the rocks are "solid", and the little points of light very effective. :clap:

Quinnya
04-23-2008, 03:40 AM
As Anne would say WOW - WOW - WOW - Really great - Top Marks

Quinnya
04-23-2008, 03:42 AM
PS - Do think the splash on the rock could be a tad more real - but unless you are really confident you can fix it - I would leave it

greensyster
04-23-2008, 03:54 AM
I love that you have used the camera in its real purpose (ie a fanstastic sketch pad role) and then taken it from there. Sure there are areas of 'stiffness' but the feeling you swelled into your water and the syvestor stylone stance of the rocks just does it for me. Thumbs up!

CWood
04-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Perfect rocks Tony. Love it!:clap:

Carl

Marty C
04-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Great job on this piece, Tony. Water and rocks are very well done, the foam lines are particularly effective. A very strong piece.
The splash has been commented on a few times. I have noted that you often use a straight brush stroke for splash, which often creates a harsh effect. If you observe most water splash, it has many different shapes, often rounded to some degree. Straight lines can occur in violent, explosive wave conditions, large waves hitting large rocks, but even in those situations straight lines are in a minority. A dabbing action can create good splash. I personally prefer to use a coarse sponge, which I dab, and sometimes drag for more directional effects.

Michaelmcg
04-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Great work Tony. This is seriously good. :thumbsup:

Michael

bypick
04-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Very nice, Tony...another step up. Your doing great!
Byron

tunde olaifa
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Tony this is very natural, i love it, well done

artman42
04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Nice Work ,Tony !

Anthony Dunphy
04-24-2008, 02:27 AM
You just keep raising the bar Tony!!:) This is excellent work my friend!!!

fireman
04-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Tony, Very nice, water and rocks look good. Great colors.
Bob.

tonyjazz
04-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Brian: Thanx for the great comments and input. Still toning down after seeing so many huge waves! Got engraved in my brush stroke,,,,.......TJ

Frank: Your comments honor me , thank you. Hope one day to paint as well as you do!!!! TJ

Anne: Gracias como siempre. Thanx as always. TJ

Jane: Thank you so much for your kind words. It has been a priviledge for me to be among some of the finest water artists around! I remember it was you Jane that answered my naive question about what GWC was. Now I buy 1" thick sided canvases on my 12 x 24's and paint the sides. Thanx for the guidance here, you have been very helpful and constructive. TJ

Randalljazz: Gracias my friend. TJ

Quinnya: Thank you for your comments and input. I stopped painting this one, something just said "stop". I could have gone on painting this one for hours........next one! TJ

Greensyster: I feel passion in your words and that just makes my day. I've been a photographer longer than a painter. I'm glad I can capture what I want to paint then try and add emotions to it......thanx......TJ

Carl: Thanx for the comments......como siempre....as always......TJ

Marty: It's very refreshing to hear your structured inputs! I personally want to thank you for your time and talents here Marty. I want to get better. You've always helped me with that thanx.....Could you Post some pics on your sponge technique for foam? Love to see it........TJ

Michael: Thank you for taking time and posting. I always appreciate your input. TJ

Byron: My mentor.........thanx as always. One day I will paint a wave as good as you do, I promise! TJ

Tunde: Thank you for the comments, from Lagos....TJ

Jim: THanx , as always TJ

Tony: Thanx as always my friend. Good luck with your new studio!

Bob: Thanx for the comments........appreciated lots. TJ

shari814
04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Tony, this is great... and your rocks rock! :lol:

Shari

WILT
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi Tony,

I think if you'd varied the angle & height of the splashes on the rocks it would have been more naturalistic. They seem slightly regimented. Apart from this minor niggle its a great effort, love the colours.

WILT