PDA

View Full Version : Flying winds

2003maryann
04-22-2008, 04:04 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-22-2008/20472_Untitled-Stitched-01SMALL.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-22-2008/20472_origfinishedflywindsSMALL.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-22-2008/20472_finishedflhyingwindsCOMPUTER.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Flyimgs wings
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 7x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Always wanted to do sailboats in action, not my forte but I thought I give it a try. Regattas abound in Grenada and in the Caribbean so this is my presentation of one.I show my initial drawing and colors laid down they the finished piece then the finished piece enhanced by computer.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Colors, composition, water , movement , tell me all.

Corby
04-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Beautifully painted! Is the reality of the image more like the second than the third image? This would attract the attention of any boat lover.

2003maryann
04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi Magnuson, yes the second image is nearer the reality of the original painting. I mispelled Flyings, my eyes are getting bad. Thank you for your comments.
2003maryann

Ronni
04-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Very sensual! I enjoy it, you made me browse many of your previous ones, I like your sensitive observation, this one I love especially it has a beyond power to the details.

2003maryann
04-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Thank you Ronni, that is an interesting critique, sensual. I do better when my total self is involved in my paintings and sensual can be a considered description.

MRSBB
04-22-2008, 09:28 PM
I like the computer enhanced version, simply because I like color. Thanks for sharing............Lenore

maw-t
04-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I like the softness of the second one. I would hang this in my beach cottage... if I had one... Very nice!!!

2003maryann
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Lenore, computer enhanced pictures are very vibrant, but the original
painting is a little richer looking than depicted here.
Maw-t thank you for your comments. Beach house sounds nice to have,
your paintings may get you one, yet.
Best regards maryann

Blayne
04-23-2008, 02:59 PM
I really like this painting--and there's no reason you can't "enhance" the original to heighten the colors, if you choose!

2003maryann
04-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Thank you Blayne, I like the colors as theya re on the original.
Happy days, 2003maryann

tgsloth
04-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Very exciting and subtle use of color in a watercolor. The only weak point to my eyes is that is seems that the line of the yellow hull of the foreground boat is not continuous.

2003maryann
04-23-2008, 06:59 PM
TGsloth, I don't understand what you mean! The line is interrupted by a wave
in the bow and as it continues to the stern you have a hint of the transom.
What line are you referring to?

tgsloth
04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I see the wave interupting the hull. Looking at the two yellow segments and continuing their outline through the wave, they don't seem to line up. I've appended an image with some guidelines to make this point. My eyes are perhaps fooling me but others viewers may see this too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2008/124239-20472_finishedflhyingwindsCOMPUTER.jpg

plindley
04-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I see it too. It is also noticeable on the dark hull line near the water... the first segment actually curves down at the point where the wave interrupts it and then the aft segment scribes a different arc... so it looks like there is a depression in the hull.

I do love the sky and water treament... lovely colour harmony. To a sailor's eye (we have a boat) it looks a little like the mast is a little too far towards the stern and the jib (foresail) doesn't come quite far enough forward (however, there are so many types of rigging and different boat designs that I could be wrong!).

You have captured the 'feel' of sailing very well!

crazywoman53
04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
This is a very lovely painting. I too see the line that makes it appear as though there is a dip there. I am a color person so I like the second version over the first, however if the first shows more contrast in reality I might like it better as it is the lack of contrast in the first one that makes me want to see the front boat set apart more as is shown in the enhanced version. I love watercolors and think you have done a good job of keeping them clean and fresh.

2003maryann
04-24-2008, 04:22 PM
You have great eyes TGsloth, thank you , Patricia. If you have been in regattas or watch them, confusion can reign, boats come so close they look like they aregong to hit and sometimes do. You have pointed out an inportant observation I never even saw. I will take these pointers with me on mynext regatta painting. Crazy womas, thank you for you comments, also.
I liked the feel of the gray day that this regatta was in.
2003maryann