PDA

View Full Version : Would like to know about shows in Calgary AB

Blue Pencil
04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
So we are moving to Calgary soon and I am hoping to enter some shows there and was wondering if anyone can give me some info on when and where they are or if there are any groups to join>
thanks

~~Kathleen
04-22-2008, 12:05 AM
This may be a good place to begin your search.
You do not say what type of show/gallery you want, if you need an agent/workspace or a grant.
The internet can be your friend!

http://culture.alberta.ca/
Good luck with your search
~~Kathleen

Blue Pencil
04-22-2008, 09:48 AM
i am just looking for some places to display and enter artwork..whether it be juried or not....i dont know...

~~Kathleen
04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Not being familiar with your work, makes it very hard to suggest anywhere/anyplace.
I sincerely suggest you try googling "Arts In Calgary".
Calgary has a very active arts scene, and you would benefit greatly
from the search personally.
There are other frequent posters @ this forum from the area as am I.
They may have ideas for you.
When are you arriving?
~~Kathleen

Blue Pencil
04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
i have googled many times...various combinations of search terms and have found not much other than the art show during the calgary stampede

AMuse
04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
There are roughly a zillion gallery and art spaces in Calgary.

You can look up "Art Central" to start - there is also "Artspace"

I think that it really all depends on your style and subject matter. There are also roughly a zillion art groups in the city starting with the Sketch club and working up ... once again totally depending on your style and subject matter.

Blue Pencil
04-24-2008, 09:46 AM
i am looking for a group that meets monthly to paint together and puts on a show

~~Kathleen
04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
....So, as Kathy and I both have suggested, google the places suggested, and fire off a few emails.
Only you can decide if you are compatable with a group and if your style is in synch with theirs.
As we have both stated, there are countless groups within the city.
Calgary has a wonderful arts scene, and it covers about every art form imaginable.
(Witness the fabulous sidewalk art that graces the downtown area.)
The onus is on you to find your niche, we can only suggest.
Sure, it will take time and effort, but is not that what it is all about?
Happy hunting;
~~Kathleen