GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hanging Flower
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 5.5x8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have been doing a lot of studies and practices of a few other artist Julie Collins to name one . In here book Painting Flowers with Impact in watercolor I came across a picture on page 103.it sort of took on a mind of its own.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I do think it is a little to centered and my need a back ground to make it feel more real, What do you all think? I am not to sure of the brush strokes and if I am being persize? or are the colors to mute?

Jayde
04-21-2008, 06:52 AM
It is centred but that isn't what bothers me. I think the problem is that the tones are too similar - you need more contrast between light and shade.

tgsloth
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Jayde's comment is right on. I think a little hue variation would spice it up as well. But it's a solid drafting job so you've got the right skeleton.

Dana Design
04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
A beautiful bleeding heart! Have those in my garden.

Agree with Jayde and TG. Don't be afraid of color!

loralee55
04-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Thank you Jayde,TG and Dana.I thought thee was some thing but just could not wrap my touge around it. It is very nice hereing something positive in my work. I usally don't show. I' working on a 1/2 sheet sun flower and a 1/2 sheet of iris's hope they turn out but, i need to work on hanging flowers first.
thanks again, loralee:wave:

KYRed
04-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Hey, more of that heavy color that's on the main petal and the ones below it might work also just as well on the upper petals. This is a watercolor painting so experimenting on it doesn't work well like it would using oil or acrylics. So, be very careful you choose just the right color, very light, if you decided put some color in the background. Maybe on some scraps of paper you could try out a few colors and hold it next to the flower to see if it works. There's not much worse than a stark white background on paper that suddenly shows up a dirty smudge or bit of dust. KYRed

MRSBB
04-22-2008, 12:11 AM
I read an artists comment in a critique on watercolor, that if you take a blank clear sheet of plastic, like from a photo album and lay it over your painting and then just paint in on the plastic different highlights to see if you like them, before actually putting them in your painting. Kind of trial and error. Sounded like a good idea to me, but I haven't tried it yet, but whats to lose? I agree with the others about the values. Nice painting.........Lenore

loralee55
04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
:thumbsup: i realy like that idea. it would be a great way to test your therories before you put them into practice.
Thanks
loralee