PDA

View Full Version : quick dry cafe 4/20/08 to 4/26/08

idylbrush
04-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Anybody got a good.....whatever?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2008/36241-MedGard63.jpg
Probably one of the trickier pieces to photograph in recent weeks. Still not happy with it and will try again in the morning to get a better shot in daylight.

Lady Carol
04-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Howard, should this be in WOYE?

idylbrush
04-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Oh maybe, but then again, maybe not.

From the morning garden...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2008/36241-nightbloomer.jpg

This is a delicate pink night blooming water lily. It opens about 7PM and closes as early as 7AM. This is the first of the season. The leaves are a mahogany color and the sepals reflect that color as well. It is a real beauty and quite a delight.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2008/36241-redrose.jpg

This is the Don Juan rose, one stem. It is a rather prolific bloomer this time of year. My Tiffany rose is dying I fear. It is nearly 20 years old now and about at the limit of its lifespan. I am considering replacing it with the same or possibly a traditional Peace rose. Both are exquisite.

dejaa
04-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Good morning everyone,

Howard, Looks like a window on the world to me. Very interesting and I like it.

Finished my work sooner than I thought, Yea. But had a really bad night last night woke up every hour with a pounding sinus headache. Still trying to get rid of it.

Hope everyone is better and having a good weekend. If I can stay awake after church, I may get to paint today.

dejaa
04-20-2008, 08:29 AM
WE must have been posting about the same time. Howard love this mornings flowers. Have you ever tried to root a piece of your Tiffany.

idylbrush
04-20-2008, 10:19 AM
WE must have been posting about the same time. Howard love this mornings flowers. Have you ever tried to root a piece of your Tiffany.

Not being a very good gardner I would probably kill it off in short order. I have enough trouble with plants in containers.:lol:

AMuse
04-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Good Morning all.

If my mom was here, Howard, she would give you some good tips about air rooting your rose to give it a new life... but I am about as good a gardener as I am an airplane mechanic!

eyepaint
04-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Love that nightime lily :)

dejaa
04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Howard with all the beautiful plants you have I have a hard time believing that you have trouble growing anything.

Two ways I have rooted a rose. 1. scrape the skin off of a young stem that is close to the ground then use a brick to hold it down to the ground. The main plant will feed it while the scraped area takes root. Once fully rooted clip from main plant.
2. Scrape an area and place damp peat moss and plastic wrap around it. A little root tone can also help.

Some times it works sometimes it does not take hold. My mom use to just take cutting and place them in the damp dirt on the side of the house.

I don't know if it will work for a hybrid, but it works for the old rose that I have.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. i still did not get any painting done, but am sitting here doing some sketching.

AMuse
04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
2. Scrape an area and place damp peat moss and plastic wrap around it. A little root tone can also help.

This is what my mom does too.. she makes small cuts around the stem (very small) and then brushes with rooting hormone and packs it with wet peat moss and wraps with plastic.

however... (Mom says) if you have a hybrid that is grafted onto hardier root stock the root stock might take over and that will be the rose you get instead of the grafted hybrid...

Dejaa - glad you are sketching... I'm working out a plan for my collage sheep! lol this playing is just way, way, way too much fun. :D

AMuse
04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
yay! I sold one of my collage mushrooms (I posted on the the WOYE thread last week) the brown one.

well - that will keep me in cheezies for another week of painting. (if I sell the other I might get some chocolate milk too! ;) )

eyepaint
04-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Kathy - congrats on the sale. If you don't want all the cheezies, you can send them my way :)

~~Kathleen
04-21-2008, 12:10 AM
You may think you have beaten me to Kathys Cheezies EP, but I live closer, and becaise I can get there first, they are mine!:lol:
Good for you Kathy.
~~Kathleen

idylbrush
04-21-2008, 06:41 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2008/36241-Seagrape.jpg

The Sea Grape trees are shedding their leaves getting ready for the new flush of growth. The colors against the sky are amazing. Ranging from a pale yellow green to a wonderful red it is quite a treat to see. It lasts about 2 weeks and then the new growth takes over.

Katwyld
04-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Pretties! :)

Howdy all... my company is finally gone... and I'm ill. I feel like my stomach is twice its normal size, and my work pants, which are not tight, are tight... and it's rather uncomfortable.

But otherwise, my house is smelling better, and is a LOT quieter... I'm liking that.

Missed y'all terribly. Currently at work, but likely gonna be leaving early today with how I'm feeling... I think a good day of painting is in order. I have plants I really need to get into the ground but with how I'm feeling, that might not be a good idea. But there will (hopefully) be pictures from me to compliment Howard's (if he doesn't mind, that is). Oh, and I got my Don Juan rose! One of our local nurseries had three, so I went and got one... along with some more daliahs, some daisies (that I don't know if they'll live, but I like them), some bleeding hearts to try again this year, and some irish moss that I'm hoping I can get to take over the side yard because we're having problems growing grass there with the dogs... and if there's bare dirt, they dig... and I'm sick of twisting my ankles on holes (had a bad fall Thursday).

Dejaa, good to hear you're sketching.. I need to do more of it, but still too into the painting.

Howard, sorry to hear about your rose.. I can't help ya at all with gardening. I'll be lucky to keep what I've got alive! :p The grape trees are cool looking, though, as is the rose and that water lily... such a beautiful contrast in that lily photo.

Kathy, congrats on the sale! I loved those collages you did, so I'm not surprised it sold. And yay for cheezies! heh

Lady Carol
04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Sorry to hear that you are not well, Kat. Having company can always be stressful even if they are people you really want to have in the house.

Katwyld
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah, we generally like them, but this time... Oh, it was just generally awful... They all seem to have a bit of a smell, and they're slobs as well... and the children aren't very behaved, either (if I'd acted half as bad as they did when I was their age, I STILL wouldn't be able to sit!) So... it wasn't a whole lot of fun... but it's over now. :)

~~Kathleen
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Morning all.
Glad your life is back to normal Kat.
Give yourself a few days to unwind, and things will get back to normal soon.
There are times when I, as well wonder what on Earth some people think, when you see how their kids are allowed to act.
Some children are so good, others are intolerable.
And teaching a child to behave is so easy when they are young.
(My 10 month grandson has just started throwing hissy-fits when he is corrected and doesn't get his way.) We just ignore him, as he does have to learn.
I have a big family, and the rule in all of our homes is, "your welcome, but our rules in our home rule!" We all decided that, when we began to have children and visited each other..
It is so nice to see the children behaving (Well as good as can be expected for kids).
Howard, other than the Palms, do trees there all drop their leaves yearly?
I just thought that they'd regenerate as they died off.
Coffee is on, tea for anyone that may want some as well.
Have a good one all....
~~Kathleen

solocrow
04-21-2008, 02:35 PM
*does a drive by posting*

This is a mostly content-free post made specifically to get the little nagging site banner off the top of my screen that says I'm being anti-social by not posting anything for several weeks. :rolleyes:

As you were.

idylbrush
04-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh my yes, we have seasons, and leaves drop and flowers bloom at the appropriate times. It sure isn't paradise.

OK, can you tell where the new plants are hidden?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2008/36241-garden1.jpg

More from the water garden
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2008/36241-garden2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2008/36241-garden3.jpg

AMuse
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
:) thanks everyone.

I have my daughters virus attacking me. aching all over and feeling generally unwell.

So I'll share my Cheezies.... (this time ;) )

luckily both kids are not sick - so I'm enjoying some quiet time while they are at school and preschool.

I was actually talking about ill-behaved children this weekend. I have to say that I really feel good when people tell me how good my kids are in public, but in reality they are just normal kids... which of course makes me wonder just how bad the other kids are! LOL

~~Kathleen
04-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Sorry your under the weather Kathy....good day here to stay inside anyhow.
Yes, it is still snowing, actually very heavily as I gaze out my window, longingly remembering when we had green that looked almost as good as Howards!:lol:
I am not motivated by any of the four paintings I have on the go right now.
I think I will look for something bright and cheerful to do!
~~Kathleen

idylbrush
04-21-2008, 04:57 PM
"I was actually talking about ill-behaved children this weekend."

I am all for complimenting parents when children are well behaved, I think it is required. As far as ill behaved children, I can easily go the opposite direction

Was at a local restaurant and a small child (3 years maybe), cried the entire meal. It was distressing since the parents did nothing to stop it. If the child doesn't stop screaming, then take the child and leave. When they got up to leave the entire restaurant applauded and the parents hadn't a clue why. Huh! What's up with that.

~~Kathleen
04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Thank-you Howard for your kindness.
I do agree with your take on children in restraunts. I once left a restraunt in the middle of a meal because my daughter was acting up...Last weekend she did the same with my five year old grandson...At McDonalds!
Her reply to him when he asked "why?"...If you can't behave here, you will never behave anywhere else......Obviously my daughter learned, and my grandsons will as well.
Here is a sickening picture of my world today!
I took it ten minutes ago.
(No let-up in sight either)
~~Kathleen (who is severely green deprived)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2008/92567-snow_in_april_006.jpg

AMuse
04-21-2008, 06:59 PM
I've hauled my kids out of all kinds of places... and the result is...

last summer we took them to the Empress Hotel for "princess tea" they were 3 and 5 and were so wonderfully behaved for almost two hours, eating treats and drinking their fruit tea, and the gentleman next to us said that he thought our children were delightful and that we should be commended as good parents.

I told the girls that I was so proud of them and that we would come back for tea again if they could be just as good next time :)

my kids are so used to the "we leaving if you can't be (quiet, still, well mannered... what ever)" that they are just as shocked as we are at bad kids! LOL

Katwyld
04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I've had my share of ill mannered children (worked in retail for 10 years, that'll do it to ya), so I'm quick to commend someone when their children are good... but I also consequently dislike children in general because of it. Jon's sister's boys are horrendous... we won't even go over to her house because of it... What's funny is they're all used to me being the quiet, shy one (Jon and I dated in high school), and I'm not anymore... when the sister walked by me a few years ago at the family reunion with her youngest under her arm, and asked me if I wanted my nephew, I looked her right in the eye, (with my three dogs all quietly sitting on the ground around me, mind you) and said 'No.'. She was a little taken aback... but they're demons! Seriously!

Jon's other brother's kids are generally good... the girl is very good, the boy is still young, so he's still learning.. but they're nice to be around. How weird to me how different the siblings are. :p

Well, I got all my flowers in, and picked up a few more as well to fill out the bed (until I find more I want. heh). Well, all except the peony... not sure where to put it... need to figure out where has enough sun...

PattiLou
04-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Howard I agree with you about children in restaurants. When my daughter was young (many years ago now) I always carried crayons, paper and crackers in my purse to keep her busy. They get bored waiting on the food and keeping them busy works... with a cracker to snack on while drawing/coloring.

On another note I am curious as to what part of Florida you live in? North, middle, south?

Kathleen this is spring don't ya know? Glad I am not there in the snow.

~~Kathleen
04-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I have news for you Patti....It is spring in Alberta as well.
We get snow in April every year. The Farmers wait for it, and always make sure their crops are in before it.
This way the seeds benefit from the much needed moisture.
We all get disgusted with this annual April snow, but it will be gone in a day, and the grass will be green, and the flowers that are blooming under the snow will rear up again in all their glory.
Do not be deceived, it is not cold, as you can see, the streets have water on them.
I actually love where I live. I like my four seasons, and I appreciate the order of progression from one season to another.
To each his own.
~~kathleen

PattiLou
04-21-2008, 09:46 PM
I have news for you Patti....It is spring in Alberta as well.
~~kathleen

Oh Kathleen, I know it is spring in Alberta, and beautiful country too. Traveled through there on the way to Alaska. I think snow is beautiful too, I just don't like cold. :D Actually I'm not 'from' Florida, just my current home and I've grown accustomed to the warm... ok HOT and humid weather. That's what air conditioners are for and... well... my hair is straight anyway so being humid doesn't matter. ;)

idylbrush
04-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Howard I agree with you about children in restaurants. When my daughter was young (many years ago now) I always carried crayons, paper and crackers in my purse to keep her busy. They get bored waiting on the food and keeping them busy works... with a cracker to snack on while drawing/coloring.

On another note I am curious as to what part of Florida you live in? North, middle, south?

Kathleen this is spring don't ya know? Glad I am not there in the snow.

Patti, I live in Sarasota.

PattiLou
04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Patti, I live in Sarasota.

Ah, I see. Some of the plants you show in your garden look like they would be prone to frost damage so I thought you must be further south. Your garden looks lovely and I have been enjoying your pictures. Sarasota is a little further south than where we hangout near Lakeland but we are traveling right now looking for good picture opportunities.

Katwyld
04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, now I've got a gardening bug.... hehehe... I'm thinking of doing some container garden things...

I blame Howard. :p

Lady Carol
04-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi guys :D just popping in. I am off to the artists reception of Yellow Springs Art Show this afternoon. It is always exciting to get a pre-show sneak peek at all the work there, including mine :D

Shirl Parker
04-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Good luck Carol and have fun.

Lady Carol
04-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Thank you Shirl. I will.

AMuse
04-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Good Luck Carol! :-)

dejaa
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Afternoon everyone,

Carol have fun, and good luck.

Kat I know what you mean. Along with the hydrangeas I need to plant I also picked up tomato plants, and some herbs and I to hold Howard and Kathleen responsible for the gardening bug. All the beautiful plants Howard shows us and the garden/yard that Kathleen is building for her daughter make me dream big but plant small.

Have a great afternoon all.

idylbrush
04-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Carol, pictures, lots of pictures please.

I have been nursing along some tritoma plants, they are delicate at best and for some reason they are being particularly difficult for me. One which I finally have coaxed a leaf shoot out of was just acting like it was turning around when a neighbor came over and walked through the flower bed to get at a bush jasmine to smell it. My face must have crunched up like a wad of aluminum foil. She realized something was awry. Backed off and let me suffer the pangs of a stomped plant. I hope it comes back. It has taken a month to get this little shoot to appear.

ARGH!

AMuse
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
:(

I had that happen last year Howard. I was having a really difficult time getting anything to grow on the north side of our house (except mildew) finally I got some ferns and a really nice hosta going there and put in a stepping stone for the meter-reader to use.... he seems to have stomped all over the garden and completely avoided the stepping stone!

AMuse
04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
LOL... I just spent a few minutes wandering around trying to find the source of the wierd noise I was hearing...

it's my cat.... snoring!

:D

Lady Carol
04-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Carol, pictures, lots of pictures please.

Sorry Howard. I didn't take a camera with me. But I saw some really really cool stuff. There was a plethora of styles from the very basic (what were the judges thinking) to some really amazing art.

idylbrush
04-23-2008, 05:28 AM
DRAT!

Always like to see pictures of openings. It somehow seems to validate all the effort.

idylbrush
04-23-2008, 05:38 AM
:(

I had that happen last year Howard. he seems to have stomped all over the garden and completely avoided the stepping stone!

Know that one all to well. I made a paver path to the electric meter and the FPL (Flicker , Plunder and Loot) guy has done all he can to avoid stepping on them. It's a nice path and wide open.

Spent part of yesterday putting in a paver pad on the other side of the house as a staging area for outdoor photography of artwork. Keeps the tripod out of the dirt, dry and clean. Not that I am all that fussy but I don't like tracking all that into the studio.

Katwyld
04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I'll never understand how it's so hard for some people to watch what they're doing... So sad...

Ooh, dejaa, I hadn't even thought about Kathleen and her garden... Yeah, we'll blame her, too. :D

Glad to hear about the show, Carol... will we get any pictures? :p

Ended up picking up a Yellow Trumpet Creeper (been wanting to have something growing on our fence and not have it be morning glories this time) and another bleeding heart as well as a white peony bulb... We'll see how they all do. And everything is in finally! Two peonies in the side yard (one pale pink, one white), trumpet creeper in the side yard, the rose, 3 new dahlias to go with the 3 I already had, 6 little salvias, a bunch of gladiolus, some celosia (the little brain looking ones, waited too long last year to get them and never could find them), some annual dianthus (Thought all dianthus were perennials, so I never bothered to look, oh well), two bleeding hearts, and then some 'million bells' (that's what the label said) for the little planters on either side of our door. Still need to get some portulacas, but I think I'll put those in a hanging pot near the door so they can wait a bit.

Clever
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi guys! Long time no see!

I HAVE missed you all and feel really horrible for not checking in. I have been SOOOO busy the last few months...getting child in nursing school, getting child in college, getting child and her AP portfolio on track, helping dh at office WAY too much!, getting child to various sports activities....and taxes...yuck. I haven't painted a thing and the college bound senior has invaded my studio to work on her portfolio and she has exploded in there, so I haven't even tried to do anything in there.

Sadly, I don't see much of a change this summer, as ALL of the children will be home, but come fall, when only two will be left and only one of those still homeschooled, I think I might be able to breath in and out and also get some studio time.

I'll try to do better about checking in.

Hi Howard! ;)

~~Kathleen
04-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Clever, good to see you, with all that rushing around, we are very lucky just to get a glimpse of you!:lol:
Now serious stuff...BLAME ME will you gals?
HAH!
You have nothing on me.
I just got back from my daughters place, and that wonderful snow was a real boon to all the newly planted trees.
Because we are so high here, moisture is always a problem.
But the snow was very wet, and has sunk into the ground leaving it wonderfully damp.
I can see the leaf buds emerging on most of the trees, and those that were leafing already are not damaged in any way because of the snow.

Picking trees that are native to your area really helps.
We planted about two dozen Parkland and Explorer varieties of roses in the Rose garden, and they are beginning to sprout as we speak.
Again These two species (with about 30 varieties in each) are cultivated just for our Clime. So all is doing well.
The Native grasses are beginning to sprout as well. so everything is coming along Tickety-Boo!
Next week we plant the Peony garden, (15 different varieties) and more of the species Lilacs.
That is it for now...OH, the men dug out the pond area for the Meditation pool yesterday, and they did it perfectly...two levels, each following the curve of the Yin/yang perfectly. I was honestly worried about that, but they did well.
So much for the gardening Bug here....And I blame Howard, he was teasing me on all winter (my winter that is) with his lucious plants and flowers.
Coffee anyone?
~~Kathleen

AMuse
04-23-2008, 11:20 AM
*blinnk*blink* did someone say coffee? lol

the alarm went off this morning and I had no idea where I was or what day it was... lol

(that will teach me to stay up late watching hockey!)

a bit more snow today - but the weekend should be glorious. I'm ordering some Siberian Mammoth sunflower seeds this week from a friend and they should be here just in time to sprout for planting at the end of May.

Katwyld
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna PM you about lilacs, Kathleen... Just you wait for it. heheh And it sounds lovely! I'm dealing with this stupid pollen, and I'd be happy for trees besides pines and bradford pears! (I'm gonna chop down that bradford pear one of these years... the hubby's gonna come home and there'll be a tree across the road and me with a big stupid grin on my face. :D)

Was it at least a good game, Kathy?

AMuse
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
well... if by getting our butts kicked and being booted out of the playoffs is good... ;)

lol

it was an exciting game. and now I will have lots of free time to keep painting..

and that is what I am going to go and do now! :)

idylbrush
04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Today has been terrific. I did a bit of a cleanup and rearrange in the studio. Fine tuning stuff it seems. Had a student over and she purchased an artwork YIPPEE!

This has been a few good months. Sometimes life can be mighty fine.

~~Kathleen
04-23-2008, 04:01 PM
:clap:
Good for you Howard.
Your work evokes thought and peace.
Everyone that sees it, must want one.
~~Kathleen

AMuse
04-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Wonderful Howard! congratulations on the sale.

Well... I got a treasure in the mail today!

A big bag and a small(ish) box full of Ephemera... I'm going to have lots of fun sorting through this stuff and seeing what I can use for making art. I can see all kinds of collages coming out of some of this stuff! :D

Lady Carol
04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Congratulations Howard.

gaykir
04-23-2008, 07:54 PM
I am posting a couple of pix for Kathleen.....:evil: (I know it's kinda mean spirited but as a Canadian Prairie girl I know she can handle it!).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/56079-No4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/56079-No_3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/56079-No_2.jpg

and finally - this one I have no idea what it is but it blooms every year.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/56079-No_1.jpg

This year I ripped out some roses that were mostly thorn and ordered two new Clematis that I have never seen. It will be a couple of years before they really do anything but at least they will not have thorns! The clematis's in these pix are several years old now. I have one I have to take the hedge trimmers too all the time to keep it under control!

idylbrush
04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I do believe the last image is that of an African Iris. We have them here in white and yellow.

Huge clumps of them.

I am posting a couple of pix for Kathleen.....:evil: (I know it's kinda mean spirited but as a Canadian Prairie girl I know she can handle it!).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/56079-No4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/56079-No_3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/56079-No_2.jpg

and finally - this one I have no idea what it is but it blooms every year.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/56079-No_1.jpg

This year I ripped out some roses that were mostly thorn and ordered two new Clematis that I have never seen. It will be a couple of years before they really do anything but at least they will not have thorns! The clematis's in these pix are several years old now. I have one I have to take the hedge trimmers too all the time to keep it under control!

gaykir
04-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks Howard. I had never seen them until I moved to this home.....

idylbrush
04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
This is the white version of the African Iris.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/36241-African-Iris.jpg

The dancing lady orchid is about full tilt now. Fairly impressive.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2008/36241-dancinglady3.jpg

gaykir
04-23-2008, 08:44 PM
NOTE TO SELF: get white African Iris! (But wait until after tonight's ugly storm - tornados and all)

~~Kathleen
04-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Gayle.... In two or three months I will post pics of my Clematis...Till then I will growl and smile when I look at yours!
Howard.... your Dancing Lady makes my heart sing every time I see her. So lovely!
Am off to the kids now...Bye all:wave:
~~Kathleen Who will be back late tomorrow.

Lady Carol
04-23-2008, 10:18 PM
The clematis is beautiful. Mine is on the cusp of flowering.

idylbrush
04-24-2008, 04:01 AM
I've tried Clematis but the roots get to warm here which is a major issue with these. I also like hydrangea but they need shade here and having just removed the last major tree in my yard that is no longer possible. Spring bulbs become somewhat prohibitive as I have to devote major portions of my refrigerator to chilling them before planting in the yard. Last year I planted 2 doz peacock orchids which are members of the gladiolus family. I had hoped they would spread. Well, three of the bulbs have come back this year so I guess I need to get more and replenish every year.

have been doing some investigations about all sorts of things recently. somehow they at first seem unrelated but in the grand scheme they are tied together somehow, I just need to figure out how.
The meaning of color
the symbology of semi precious stones
Tibetan/Buddhist prayer wheels / prayer flags
worry beads
mandalas
the meaning of flowers

PattiLou
04-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Howard
Spring bulbs may not do well but Amarylis do very well and you don't have to take them in during the winter like you do in the north. ;) They multiply a lot, I just gave at least 18 to 20 to my daughter... just to thin mine out. Can't even tell they are gone. I like plants that I don't have to plant every year, wish I had more.

Clever
04-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Good morning all.

Beautiful pics of the flowers everyone. Esp. that yellow African iris or orchid? and Howard's dancing lady one...that one is a pleasure to look at...is it hard to grow? I wonder if that would grow here?

Interesting topics for study Howard, I am currently researching the relationship between Darwinian Theory and Hitler...think I can make art out of that? LOL Congrats BTW on the sale...you have had a good couple of months!

I'm heading down to Charleston later today with the daughter to photograph city scenes for painting. Nothing like waiting til the last minute..at least her AP portfolio was moved back a week.

Katwyld
04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
More flowers! Yay! I'll have a few pics to post later, too... just have to find the hubby's camera cable (the company managed to wander home with it after needing to borrow it because they forgot theirs. :mad:)... My new rose actually has two flowers opened! Granted, they were getting ready to open when I bought it, but that's ok, I'll be happy about it. :D

The african irises are gorgeous! And the dancing lady is beautiful... I think I saw one of them at one of our local nurseries, but I'm not about to try one here. heh

I was looking at trying a clemantis, but decided on the trumpet creeper instead... Maybe I'll do the clemantis on the back part of the fence if the trumpet doesn't take over. I'd love to eventually do a 6ft privacy fence around the yard, but that's well off... then I can just cover it on flowering vines.

Now if I could just get rid of the pollen spitting pine trees out of my yard, I'll be a happy woman! Unfortunately, we've got at least 6 of the stupid things (and I think more like 8), and they're not cheap to get taken down... they're probably 30 ft tall, all of them... *sigh* Ah well... some day I'll get rid of them and replace them with something a little nicer... maples or weeping willows or something very native to this area that doesn't spit out soooooo much pollen.

Shirl Parker
04-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Here's an hibiscus contribution from South Texas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2008/113427-Photo_042108_005.jpg

idylbrush
04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Made the mistake of going to the last locally owned and operated garden center in town. My, shouldn't have. Been shopping there for over 30 years and they know me all to well it seems.

Got this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2008/36241-CIMG1742.jpg
Peace Rose

and then this called me as well.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2008/36241-CIMG1743.jpg
Black Turkey Fig.

Figs have gotten so expensive in the store it may be worth growing them. I have had some wonderful fig jam and at Olives in Vegas they make a flat bread with fig jam, glazed caramelized onions, procuitto and goat cheese. Died and gone to heaven good.

So I have an afternoons work laid out for me.

~~Kathleen
04-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Maybe you should change your name Howard.:lol:
Seems the second you walk past an unclaimed Rose or plant, they call your name, and you feel you just have to give them a home!
The Peace Rose is a tough little Lady, I had one in Manitoba, and it was a wondrous plant.
Figs are too tropical for this area.
Good additions to your "Lovlies" today.
~~Kathleen
Who knows next winter, I will be looking at them blooming again.:)

Katwyld
04-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Pretty! I was debating a peace rose, but I don't have enough room in my bed, and I can't think of where else I could put it... Maybe I'll find something next year... talk the hubby into taking out the little spruce bush/tree thingies we have in the bed (I can't touch them, I break right out from it)... Another year and they won't look good at all (they're going now), and I'll be able to talk him into it... Then I can put two more rosebushes in their place! :D

dejaa
04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Good Afternoon all,

Just stopping in to say Hi. Not much going on.

Love the beautiful flowers everyone is sharing.

Howard you have some deep thinking going on there The meaning of color
the symbology of semi precious stones
Tibetan/Buddhist prayer wheels / prayer flags
worry beads
mandalas
the meaning of flowers Can you add world peace while you are at it. Each one has a legend (or myth) tied to it.

I have three turkey figs in the back yard about 5 years old. Thought that I was going to loose them a couple of times, the horse kept eating them.

Clever sounds like an art work to me.

Hope every one has a great afternoon.

~~Kathleen
04-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Howard, this site may just help you.
It is as it says, "Just the facts"
http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/things/prayer_wheel.htm
It covers all religions not just Buddhism.
Dejaa, I am not aware of any legend or myths about Prayer wheels/Flags.
I know of ancient stories involving the use of them but no legend and or myths.
~~Kathleen

idylbrush
04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Thank you both for the leads.

Today, in between paintings, book keeping and getting to the garden center, post office, accountant and super store I was able to dig in an extension on one of the flower beds. Weeded it, edged it and am in the process of digging in augmentations so the soil is a bit improved. I am hoping when it is done that it will hide part of the fence.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2008/36241-newbed.jpg

I am thinking that a peace rose might look mighty fine in that area.

susme48
04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi everyone! :wave: Been trying to at least catch up on the flowers, and there sure are some beauties...only ones I've seen for a week were the ones in the hospital. Doubt I will ever catch up on all the posts.

Daddy coded twice last Thursday, so I just threw a pile of stuff in the car, added Bubba and took off for Ohio. Bob met me there with the truck, and took Bubba with him. Dad had 4 bypasses and a Mayes procedure on Monday; I stayed till he was starting to get better and left on Wed. night, and just got back a couple hours ago. He is doing better, but will go to a rehab center for a few weeks to be sure. We kids are all "pushing" to try and get them to decide it is finally time for assisted living, but they are bull-headed! Daddy says Mom wants to die at home, and he wants to grant that wish...which leaves my brother holding the bag with keeping a constant eye on them.

Of course after all 3 of us kids acted like we were 5 yrs. old again...I imagine my parents are glad most of us went home. :lol:

I painted him a picture (finally got near a real art store and bought some real paints...but did not have a brush with me...except one new fan brush...so I used it, my new paints...actually just a few of them, and alot of paper towels ),instead of buying a card. He was supposed to have a "happy place" for a focal point...I picked a beach since my mom is always cold...figured they could go hide there when things got bad. :) Got alot of compliments on it, and all my sketches from the drs and nurses....not much else to do for hours at a time (except fight with my siblings...:lol: ) I sketched everything from people to beds to flowers, and even a tube of chapstick. Too bad I did not think to take a picture of the painting...it would have been great for the orange challenge...sunset on water...orange and yellow sky and water....very dark orangy-black land and a blackish orange for the swans...only the palm trees were not orange....:lol: Oh well.

Missed all of you...:) !

howyadoin
04-25-2008, 03:30 AM
Man, what a ridiculous week. The place I'm freelancing at is an hour and half away, so there's an extra 3 hours of every day eaten up. I've barely had time to paint.

If it wasn't for whisky, I swear I'd lose my mind...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2439797793_81f654b8a5.jpg

idylbrush
04-25-2008, 04:59 AM
...and I lose my mind with whiskey.:wink2:

go figure.

~~Kathleen
04-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Hey Sue, welcome back.
Really missed your smiling face.
Hope all will continue to get better with your parents.
Bret & Howard.....Your interaction here is priceless!:lol:
Tending my grandsons today, so I will be away from here & painting for most of the day!
~~Kathleen

gaykir
04-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Hmmm Bret - Looks like a stellar still life to me! Do you mind if I save your photo for future use perhaps? Or better yet can you upload it to the RL??

Katwyld
04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Yup, that would be a good still life... good catch, Gayle.

*big hugs for Susan* Sounds like you've had a rough time of it, dear... So sorry to hear that... And yeah, parents are stubborn... I guess we didn't train them well enough. :p

It's Friday... I'm very, very glad for that... I haven't had a weekend for weeks, what with having family two weekends in a row... I think this will be a painting/playing weekend since the garden is all in now.

Lady Carol
04-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I am glad it is Friday too. I have had a fairly crappy week. It has been very busy with writing a report to my granting agency, so they give me money for next year and then another report. I am not sure which is more important at the moment so I am runnign around in circles.

Susan, I am glad that your Dad is doing better. My husband's father has been in hospital too in Sydney so it makes it much harder to up and go visit especially since we just got back. It looks as though he will be moved our of cardiac care to a regular bed on Monday.

idylbrush
04-25-2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2008/36241-newflowerbed.jpg
The new flower bed is about done. I made the 100.00 hole and planted the rose. I then took a large plastic flower pot tray and cut the bottom out of it and used it as a ring around the base of the rose. Mulched and put in some heliotrope starts and off we go.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2008/36241-PeaceRose.jpg

susme48
04-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Bret, after the week I've had, that looks almost tempting...:lol: but I agree with Howard, I know I would loose my mind, among other things.

Actually had an offer while at a friends in Ohio...I think I surprised her when I said no. Was not sure how my body would react after 10 yrs without, and did not want to find out.

Thanks, Kathleen...hope you have fun with the kidlets! My day will be filled with catching up...laundry, cleaning, groceries, and getting my son's cast off finally.

Kat, appreciate the hugs, sure needed those! I tried hard to train my parents right...you know how they just never listen to someone who of course knows everything...:lol:

Carol, sorry to hear your hubby is going thru' sort of what I am. The distance y'all are dealing with would make logistics alot tougher! Hope things go really well for him!

Howard, that rose is just breathtaking! Have always loved peace roses. Don't really know what the type I have outside is, since it was here when we moved in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2008/51170-rosebud.jpg

This is not a good pic of it...and I thought I remembered it being a pink rose last year...but now it looks to be about as deep a red as you can get, or at least the 3 buds are.

Katwyld
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
So pretty, Howard, and a very cool idea... It looks rather lonely in that bed, though. heh

Susan, anytime... can't wait to see pictures of the rose when it opens up..

I've got little green and little white bugs on one of my rosebuds. :( I'm doing a search right now to see what they are, but I'm not happy... And the uppermost leaves (that are also a reddish color) are all wilty... It has water, I checked that... maybe I watered it too much?

Off to do some rose research... Bah... I don't want to kill this one. :crying:

AMuse
04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Everyone! I have had the busiest craziest week and now....

I just found out that I'm going to be an Auntie again! My brother and SIL are adopting a 7 month old baby and get to bring him home for good next week.

The whole family is so excited!

Katwyld
04-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Congrats, Kathy!

AMuse
04-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Kat.

He'll be the first Nephew! (can you say spoiled rotten? LOL)

AMuse
04-25-2008, 07:07 PM
OMgoodness!

hubby came home and was looking at my dirty palette (a plastic wrapped canvas board) with big splotches of green, brown, blue, gray and bronze paint all over it....

and said... "What, exactly, is that a painting of?"

I said it was a painting of a dirty palette! ;)

Lady Carol
04-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Carol, sorry to hear your hubby is going thru' sort of what I am. The distance y'all are dealing with would make logistics alot tougher! Hope things go really well for him!
Thanks Susan. We felt when we left Australia that would be the last time we saw him. He really isn't doing very well and hasn't been for quite a while. They are really country people so , Craig's step mum will not call us if something goes wrong. We are now considered to be "the yankees". It wasn't until 10 days after we got back that Craig called to find out how his Dad was doing, only to discover that he had been in intensive care since the day after we left Oz. They are hard to read and we have been on the receiving end of abuse for calling too often and for not calling enough. His step mum doesn't handle stress very well and we recognize the hostility for what it is and forgive the tantrums.

dejaa
04-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey everyone,

I posted this afternoon and some how it is gone.

Hello every one.

idylbrush
04-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Tomorrow, Saturday, I get to rip up another flower bed and remove the white African Iris and Plumbago, augment the soil and then plant a brown turkey fig. I am very excited. I have wanted a fig tree for several years now and I finally broke down and purchased one. When I lived in Greece it was not uncommon to have fig paste on the table as a sweet after a meal or to spread on toast almost like a jam. I am told that a brown turkey is a large fruit with great sweetness. I almost got an Italian Honey fig but didn't like the shape of the plant. So, here I go.

Tomorrow night I have a benefit to attend. I donated a painting through the gallery and they asked that those who donated a work attend this event. It is for a program at one of the local private schools.

Clever
04-25-2008, 09:42 PM

go figure.

Howard, It'd be interesting to see you all lickered up!:lol::lol:

Howya, we can always count on you to bring the hooch!

Clever
04-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I am glad it is Friday too. I have had a fairly crappy week. It has been very busy with writing a report to my granting agency, so they give me money for next year and then another report. I am not sure which is more important at the moment so I am runnign around in circles.

Susan, I am glad that your Dad is doing better. My husband's father has been in hospital too in Sydney so it makes it much harder to up and go visit especially since we just got back. It looks as though he will be moved our of cardiac care to a regular bed on Monday.

Carol and Susan...hope everything will work itself out soon!

howyadoin
04-25-2008, 10:02 PM

go figure.Hah. What a team we'd make. Between us we'd only have one mind either way.

Hmmm Bret - Looks like a stellar still life to me! Do you mind if I save your photo for future use perhaps? Or better yet can you upload it to the RL??Damn fine idea. I'll look into uploading it.

Howya, we can always count on you to bring the hooch!Yeah, I'm dependable that way.

susme48
04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Kat, I wish you luck...I don't think too much water could cause the bugs, usually it turns leaves yellow...or so I was told. Maybe Howard can offer suggestions. It has just been too long since I did any gardening, and I seem to have forgotten everything...sigh. :o

Congrats on the new nephew, Kathy! :thumbsup:

Carol, I am truly sorry. It is never easy, and conflict never helps. There is something about being away...or there is in our family. I am sorry, because I truly know how it feels. If I call, I am always interrupting; if I don't I am an uncaring so and so....just cannot win. I also can relate to what stress does to you...I don't handle it well, partially due to chemical imbalances, to the 'M-word' we don't mention in here, and other health problems.

Hi there, Dejaa!! Don't you just hate when that happens?!

idylbrush
04-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Kat, sounds like aphids to me. Some safer soap might be all that is needed. If you just planted the rose it might have transplant shock. Mudding in is a fairly standard practice for a few days but then let it dry a bit between watering if it has been in the ground a while. If the new growth is wiltish it may be a case of spider mites as well (safer soap). When all else fails take a few of the leaves and go to your local extension service and see what they think.

idylbrush
04-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Got the fig tree planted today, right near the dwarf finger banana plant. Watering it in now.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2008/36241-BTFig.jpg

The sedum planted a few months back has taken and is more than doubled so far. YIPPEE!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2008/36241-sedum.jpg

dejaa
04-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Good morning all.

Carol Susan will keep both of your families in my prayers.

Howard how close to the banana is your fig? Are you planning on keeping your fig pruned every year? Those fig trees get big. Neighbors is about 12' in diameter and they prune theirs at times. Mine is already taking up about 5' area and 7'tall and they are still babies.

Hope everyone has a great day. Plan on doing some more cleaning today and a little painting if it rains.

idylbrush
04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
This one has already been center pruned and should be a bit more bushy and I am rather vigorous with pruning when need be. The banana is a fair distance away and this is 2 years of growth so it isn't a barn burner. If the fig takes over, so be it. I have wanted a fig for several years now and just didn't want to postpone it any longer. Dug the 100.00 hole and all just to get it off to a good start.

I believe this variety is supposed to get to be about 8 feet tall so it isn't one of the larger varieties. The fruit is supposed to be very sweet and tasty. YUM

this is listed as a dwarf giant papyrus. It is supposed to get 2 to 3 feet tall rather than the traditional 6 to 8 feet tall but still have the thick sturdy stems.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2008/36241-papyrus.jpg

and this is in my compost pile. I had hoped it to be a watermelon but it appears that it may just be a gourd.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2008/36241-gourd.jpg

Lady Carol
04-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Carol, Susan will keep both of your families in my prayers.
Thank you Dejaa. I really appreciate that. Your bible verse speaks volumes.

Katwyld
04-26-2008, 01:53 PM
*hugs for Carol* That's no fun, Carol... Hugs to your hubby, too. :(

Howard, safer soap? As in, just use dishsoap watered down or something? I'd read a little that doing something like that would work... I did go to the nursery I got the rose from and they said that a root enhancer/booster would be a good thing to put down to help the plant take hold, so I got that... Also an insecticide for the aphids (and a number of other things), and they're now gone.. put a some on my dahlias which are being eaten by 'something' (didn't see any bugs on them at all) too, but I'd rather go with something safer if it would work...

The papyrus looks cool, and good luck with the fig! What are you doing with the african iris?

idylbrush
04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Read here.... http://www.pestproducts.com/safersoap.htm
Safer Soap is supposed to be much more environmentally friendly. That is why I use it anyway.

I put most of the iris in the compost and green recycling bin. I have five or six clumps left and doubt that I will run short of them.

Katwyld
04-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks! And at least you've still got some... they're too pretty to just stop having... I looked and I can't have them here, so.... *sigh*

Oh, and I have some pictures myself! :D

The full rose bush:

http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/KatsDir/Photos/House/Garden2008/DonJuanRoseFull042408_500.jpg

A close up of the first flower to open:

http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/KatsDir/Photos/House/Garden2008/DonJuanRose042408.jpg

And then my dahlia (that's being chewed on, bah)

http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/KatsDir/Photos/House/Garden2008/Dahlia042408_500.jpg

susme48
04-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Crawling in for coffee! :lol:

Last week has caught up with me in spades...

Thanks, Dejaa..very much appreciated!! I do love that verse...also get alot of encouragement from Psalm 30:5...seems so dark, sad and hopeless some nights..but amazingly better in the morning! :)

:D Dang, next time I go see my best friend in Sarasota....gonna cruise Howard's compost pile and trash...:lol: He gets rid of stuff I could use. <joking> :D

Shirl Parker
04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Howard, I'm curious to know why the Safer Soap "Cannot be shipped to NY, NJ, NH, DE, CT, VT, AK"?

~~Kathleen
04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi all, I have been busy.
I have been very busy, and Not Painting.
Seems the more I get done the more is ahead of me.
With co-ordinating gardners/landscapers/builders/stonemasons I am quickly running out of time.
Tomorrow is the date for the "Official Yearly BBQ" of my daughters birthday.
So my son-in-law decided last week that he would surprise her (with my help at least) and have the new custom BBQ outdoor kitchen installed.
You got it, the weather has been horrendous all week, and while the work got done, the odds were so against it.
So, the kitchen is installed in the South East ground floor patio, with all the stonework completed and inserts (drawers friges etc) installed. The gasline was installed last week, and the patio floor installed (Blue/Grey slate stones) and the BBQ hooked up.
Then the landscaper gets the bright idea of puttindg in the stairwell coming down from the main floor patio in a different place than originally planned, and big discussions were involved in that.
The gist of the whole thing was that by Wednesday it was not a surprise any more, and on her word of honour, Dear Daughter promised not to peek.
But...As her mother, I am aware of her inability to not peek at anything...
so I had tarps hung around the whole area, and if she tried to peek, I'd know. The work was completed yesterday, and the area is spectacular.
Right up to the Lilac shrubs that will circle the whole area.
Here is the stock photo of the set-up that was chosen from the contractors book
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/kathleensmith/16.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/kathleensmith/outdoorkitchen.jpg
The only major change is that there is a full wall extending from the home all the way to the corner behind the side that the BBQ is nested on and a cut-out wall behind the fridge/sing wing of the "L"....Next week there will be a a pergola installed over the area that ia not under the overhead patio.
If need be, they can seat 30 people in the eating area, (and often they need a space that size) with a play area for children at the same time.
All this and I now live in a Condo.
I am doing more gardening than when I owned my own home on an acre of land.
Next week I am not available...to those that I love and or anyone else. I will devote my time to painting and here. So your moments of peace and quiet are finished.
(Howya, I am almost tempted to give a try to some of your "Hooch!")
Figs....When in Italy I ate fresh figs Howard, and nothing in the world can compare....would that we could grow them here.
Susan & Carol....I am sorry about your families....this type of situations are so hard to cope with.
Kat....your garden grows well
~~Kathleen
Who is listening to Djorvaks "New World Symphony" sipping a Latte, and veging for the rest of the night.

susme48
04-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Wishing I still had my fig trees from when I lived in Florida....would donate them to Howard's yard :D ....they were big, and bore luscious fruit...however, not one of us liked figs...sigh. :o Didn't have much use for the grapefruit tree either, but we loved the pears, and oranges and tangelos! I made alot of fig preserves to give as gifts, and gave the others away.

Hey there, Kathleen...sounds like you have been just a bit more than busy...but it sounds like the end results are gonna be great! Enjoy your evening vegging...sounds great! :)

Not sure how my evening will go...finishing up the meat for in tacos...veggies are all chopped, cheese is shredded, and the shells are ready. That part I know will be good! However, the boy/man slept all day, except for about an hour this am, and the last 20 minutes....scarry to think we might be up all night..:lol:

Wash your hands, and get your plates and napkins...dinner is ready! :clap:

amotwell
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi, everyone! I made an unscheduled detour into food and the creative aspects of food in the last many weeks. . . now that I'm looking at canvas and brushes again, I thought I'd stick my head in and say hi!

For those who are interested, I read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and radically changed my eating habits . . . .

idylbrush
04-26-2008, 09:40 PM
It has always been my understanding that safer soap was one of the milder pesticides. I use it as needed which is about every five years or so and then sparingly. My most favorite pesticide for the house at the moment is a citrus based product that is so enviro friendly you can spray it in areas where people and pets are along with food prep surfaces. Orangeguard.

I tend to not use anything if at all possible and only use orangeguard when things get intolerable. Safer soap only when really needed and that is rarely for me.

Well, I was asked to donate an artwork to a charity supporting a local religious school. They requested that all artists who donated work should attend for an opportunity to get some exposure. So, I thought it would be a good deal. Donated a work of art and attended. The organization all but ignored the artists, no announcements were made, the works were poorly displayed and in some cases stacked on tables. Someone dropped my work and dislodged the casing that holds all the elements in place and put three holes in the dust cover. No one called of course so there was no opportunity to make repairs. We were asked if we would like to attend the dinner, at a cost of 150.00 a plate, thank you very much.

And then they wonder why artists don't always openly and freely donate to these organizations. This one is a first for me though. There were no announcements to have people meet the artist. So, even with effort and after really making efforts to talk with folks it ended up with the buyers chatting amongst themselves and the artists chatting amongst themselves.

They want us to donate our works and then either give more or go away. Makes no sense to me.

~~Kathleen
04-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Howard, those people need to learn a lot about how to treat their guests.
Kind of like putting the guest of honour at the middle of the table and the host(ess's) best friend to their right!
If the arts community was represented in a rather full manner, the word will get around, and their donations will fall off drastically. That is absolutely no way to treat the people that make their funding drive work.

Safers soap is a stand-by here as well. Being that we do have the cold winters, our pests are a bit more predictable than those in the South I would imagine.
I have used the "Tonic" recipes from Jerry Bakers book for years now, and they are unbelievable! All biogradable, and mixable with things found commonly around the kitchen.
His web site:http://www.jerrybaker.com/
I have never had an infestation that he did not have a home recipe for.
(and as well, his grow tonics really do work)
Most animals and inscets hate the smell of orange or lemon. If you have a cat problem (Neighbours cats using your flower beds) spray with a concentrated orange oil, and they will not come within 20 feet of it.
~~Kathleen

susme48
04-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Howard, that is really a shame...I have heard that our local arts council treats the artist guild that way. They expect donations for auctions and such to support "the arts", which to them is performing arts, and then charge us to go in and watch the auctions, or attend the dinners...for me, the answer will be NO. I can find other causes to donate paintings to, to get my name out there, if I need to, that might actually recognize that I was the artist.

Kathleen, I was checking out his site...I had heard him on TV before. I may try his solutions for ticks...they of all the insect world are the bane of our existence here. There are others that irritate, but the dogs and all of us, hate ticks the worst. I had heard that guinea hens love them to eat, but am afraid the dogs would eat the guinea hens...lol.