PDA

View Full Version : When you make beads, do you.....

monster princess
07-07-2002, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone! As I looked at the beads I made yesterday, I realized there is no rhyme nor reason to what I make. It's a sort of free association method of bead making. I never make sets or even beads that look to be related. My husband says that most beadmakers don't have every color glass out when they make beads but my philosophy is "Why buy the 96 color Crayolas if you are only using 8?" So, when you make beads, do you have a plan? Do you limit your palette so beads match or at least co-ordinate? If so, how many colors do you limit yourself to? Do you aim for beads the same size/shape?

For reference, my beads from yesterday include:
an asymetrical bicone with flowers
an abstract bicone with flowers
a big rainbow gravity swirl
a hollow chicken (went pottery shopping and was inspired)
the wicked witch of the west (the wizard of oz project)
a big hollow heart that has a melted look
a couple of purple beads
a few tiny beads with rainbow cane wrapped around them and cased
a couple of landscape looking tabular beads
one little striped bead (using dots encased)
a very round, very swirled marble looking bead
and many more that I'd have to drag out to inventory. The point is that I sometimes feel as though I have beadmaker ADD. How about you?

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 11:16 PM
MP, Well I think whatever you are doing is working, sounds like yesterday was a good day indeed. Where is that chicken bead?...more photos!

I am pretty disciplined, and stick to a structure of one basic color range a day (or color combination), with some additions of tints within the same hue. Plus I've always got Scott clear and French Vanilla white (which I love!)

Last week I worked on just 'color studies' and spent many days creating and cataloging every opaque glass (Bullseye), encased with every transparent glass in a mathematical order. Very time consuming, but a great resource for me now.

But I'm pretty new at this, and found it too overwhelming when I had too much to play with, now I have my color palette pretty much decided on for a given work period, and instead concentrate on technique and perfection of the bead form and decoration.

A good question, I will look forward to some of the other responses!

Best, Valorie

b2beads
07-07-2002, 11:18 PM
I can totally relate. One of the main reasons I haven't done eBay yet - can't complete a "set". Of course, I like "unmatched" sets better anyway, but I get a couple of something done, then move on to something else. And I look back at old beads and think - huh, I don't remember doing that type.... B2

rightbrainbeads
07-07-2002, 11:20 PM
ha!!!:D

monster princess, you are not alone with the bead add!!! i have had it for months! :clap:

lynne

p.s.- david seckendorf's mandrel/rod holders are fantastic for bead add'ers... they keep lots of colors organized right next to the torch!

b2beads
07-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Val, you are cracking me up! We are so opposite in many ways (i.e. studio neatness and the whole "discipline" thing...), but alike in some others! I spent a whole day cataloging and alphabetizing all my cat drugs and vet supplies for the shelter and putting them in little labeled drawers... Of course, that was pre-torch days.

I have glass everywhere, stringers everywhere, CDs everywhere... I do often pull out a set of colors I'm planning on working with, but that's more practical than anything else - especially the rods that need preheating or explode....

B2

:D

monster princess
07-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Here's the chicken inspired by my new Albert Hodge pottery chicken.

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 11:33 PM
MP, Now that's a cute (fat) chicken...love it! Thanks showing him off.

Beth that's is too funny, and also the nature of 'artists' I think, organized with one part of our lives (or corners of rooms), and completely chaotic with another!

Valorie:cat:

margaretz
07-08-2002, 12:41 AM
the chicken is great! I have many torch sessions where I'll make lots of single beads, but often those beads get neglected since they don't have any related friends to go into a piece of jewelry. But I get bored working with a single set of colors for too long, so lately I'll work on two or three sets at a time and jump around between them. Makes for quite a bit of glass on my work bench, but that doesn't bother me.

Mike E etc
07-08-2002, 07:43 AM
Hi monster princess. I was tempted to;
Hi :evil: :angel: Then I thought that with a user name like monster... one should be careful.;)
It's a sort of free association method of bead making
I have a pretty good idea of what marbles I need to make any given day. However I approach each design/technique as thought it is a fresh canvas every time I step to the torch. If I think I need a different color it is most likely in the big pile in front of me or maybe even on the floor.
Hey, Love the chicken.
Mike, there is order in chaos, E

Anne Londez
07-08-2002, 08:39 AM
Nice chicken, I love that color too :clap:
I am of the uttermost disorganized kind, as I hate doing the same thing for more than 5 minutes and that includes tidying or anything related... the organized part of me is exclusively in my mind, the chaotic is all around :D
I try not to have any plans when starting a bead session as I noticed it had a detrimental effect on the quality of my work. This doesn't really prevent me from making series of similar beads, but on different days only.
And I cannot at all relate to the neatness in Valorie's studio but I envy that very much and not only for my studio...;)
Anne