GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sun Dance
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 10x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Did this from the WDE forum ... I know I wanna meld dark area in front of face into the Bg a little more.. but need ur experienced eyes for anything else that might help..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C&Cs welcome

KYRed
04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, you mentioned the only obvious thing I would have commented on as to completing this painting. Melding the dark area into the background more. I am sorry I can't help you with any other suggestions as I think it's a marvelous pastel painting. I love the vigorous strokes. The feathers on the headdress seem much like live birds to me and that is exciting to see. KYRed Um, wait, Maybe this will help. After you meld the dark area a bit, frame it.

Blayne
04-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm sure I commented on this in WDE but just have to say I still find it truly gorgeous. The brush strokes, colors and light are terrific. You've asked for C & C -- I wonder if lightening the bit of hair above the eyebrow (or using some of that green halftone) would show the rounding of the forehead and give it more prominence? It's great as it is, though, so get others' opinions and, if you do anything, handle with care!

D.W. Flint
04-19-2008, 11:06 PM
I like it just the way it is. Very nice painterly piece..:thumbsup:

zoropb
04-20-2008, 12:12 AM
It has this old and new feel to it with awesome light. The black seems to give it a spirit vibe.
You have done it again another interesting pastel that floats above the mundane M!

S

Corby
04-20-2008, 12:14 AM
In "moving the dark to the background" I would be careful not to lose it entirely as it is the foil for the face. Bringing that beautiful earthy pink gauzy effect over it would probably suffice?

maw-t
04-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the comments! Red, I bet you would have painted the actual birds as his headdress.. Now _that would have been COOL :)
BLayne, yes, good suggestion.. thank you!
Thank you FLint & S! Glad you like it!!
CL, yes just some blending, well, not really blending blending, but you know.. I agree the dark is what makes the light... gotta be careful or I could loose it(that light) in a stroke. Thanks for your comment!

tony1
04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I really like it as is. It's fresh and lively. Great light.

MRSBB
04-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Hi Terry. This is an incredable piece of art. I don't know how you pastel artists do this. I bought some oil pastels and what I did looked like a coloring book with crayons, LOL. There must be tools to spread it around. I guess I need to check out the learning center. Wonderful Painting......Lenore

tgsloth
04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
In my view, you're one of the really big dogs on the forum and the row of thumbnails of your works which appear under any new post only serves to remind me how remarkable good your painting are. Not just individually but as a series, the diversity of creation is just amazing.

That said, sometimes even Michael Jordan shoots an airball.

To the extent that this is a WIP, all is forgiven but beyond the issue of the unblended left side of the face, I feel like the mouth area is not working to create an expression and the overall color/value of the background is not varied enough when set against the strong points of shirt and headdress. There's a background dark void which proceeds off the the right of the face. Is it a shadow? Cast against what?

This would be great if I did it, but you have done it. It does not yet belong in your pantheon.

maw-t
04-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Hidy back Lenore,.. thank you.. no, no tools to spread them.. I am fairly new to this medium also..... oils are my first love, but I find the pastels alot of fun! I have never tried the oil pastels.. just the soft pastels. You should give them a try!

No big dog here, TG, still feeling my way around these pastels.. but thanks alot for the nice compliments.. they spur me on!

I appreciate your critque as much or more than the compliments...You are right on about the mouth.. thot I might get away with it.. but guess not. BG.. I had not thought of that, but YES this needs something & that is likely IT. What color/value would you suggest?? Thanks again for the help & kind words.

Ronni
04-21-2008, 04:07 PM
I just enjoy it. it is placed well and intersting to watch at.

tgsloth
04-22-2008, 08:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2008/124239-Zoya_2008_email.jpg We recognize the Big Dog by her piercing blue eyes. To celebrate your status as one of the biggest on the forum, I append an image of our local big dog. My feeling on the background is some cooler colors to balance the relentless warm sun blast with which you depict the figure: blues, violets, a little Alizerin.

maw-t
04-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow.. uh.. make that Bow Wow!! I am honered beyond arfdom... !!!

Yes, good advice on all points...I will try to make this better to keep my status.. :) No pressure.:eek:

goby
04-23-2008, 12:31 AM
I know nothing about pastels but I do like this alot! To echo the other comments, the lighting is masterfully handled.