GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sunny Path in the Woods
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 10 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've done a number of landscapes. I like strong lighting and was working on different ways to capture the look of 'woods' in watercolor.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you feel like this painting is too 'empty' - no center of interest per se. Do you think it 'needs something'? I'm starting to put some people in my scenes, instead of just empty landscapes like this one.<br>www.debiwatson.com

keenart
04-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Quite beautiful. The center of interest to me is the inviting path into a beautiful wooded setting that becons the walker to enter. Because of the view I do not think you could get a full sized person into the work, perhaps a small figure, child, or one dissapearing into the wooded area along the path, a little mystery.

Only one very minor, the two tree trunks to the left, seem to cut off the eye of the viewer from moving into the art work. Perhpas a softer backlighting on the trunks to push them into the middle ground between the background and the foreground.

You could use those two trees as is and as the new center of interest, perhpas a young teen standing nearby just having carved his initials in one of them.

tony1
04-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I like it as is. The light is great, and I don't feel there's a need for anything more. Just a nice feel of light and shade, excellent.

Corby
04-19-2008, 07:10 PM
an absolutely delightful painting on all counts!

tgsloth
04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
This is the sort of painting one sees in a watercolor instruction book. Viewing it, one sighs with the realization that the reader will never be able to paint like that.

maw-t
04-19-2008, 08:46 PM
This to me needs nothing but a frame! Beautiful!!

KYRed
04-19-2008, 10:44 PM
This is lovely and exciting in the contrasts between the darkness of the tree trunks the the brightness of the path which is beneath an opening in the canopy above. No people are needed in this. I say this because I want to be the only person in the scene enjoying the solitude and stillness of the forest. I want to follow the path and see where it leads. KYRed

Jayde
04-20-2008, 03:53 AM
I agree with everyone else. It's beautiful as is - doesn't need any figures at all. The focal point for me is that beautiful, sunlit track which makes me want to pause for reflection and bask in the warmth of the sunlight. This is a wonderful painting!

pinkpetunia
04-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Beautiful job. You did such a great job creating the dappled shade.

greensyster
04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree with you Debi - whilst it is a lovely work from obviously an accomplished paitner, the 'wall' of trees centre back stop me exploring. Maybe get out a chain saw and hack one or two down to right of center and give a hint of sun drenched pasture distant blue hills, something like that?

Dont lose that magically lighting though - I can almost smell the cedars...

elmendorfd
09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I love it. The sunlight draws me in. It sort of has a lonely feeling for me, but I like that. Just a nice walk through the woods to contemplate . . .Very nice!

cbcarnell
09-01-2009, 03:49 PM
This doesn't need a single thing...

yarddog
09-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm with Red...It wouldn't be near so wonderful a spot...if I had to share it with anybody else.....
....even Red...so...I s'pose I'm not with Red after all...hahaha....yd