GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Happy Days Are Here Again
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12X16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I snapped this photo of an elderly couple at the beach who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. I tried making a painting of it. The background I made up.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Have at it, I'm open...

Spyderbabe
04-18-2008, 10:24 PM
wish I was there :::sigh:::the people are great...the reflections are great....something about the shadowing of his feet make me think he's on his tip toes...
the background.... its really well painted but I'de like that first huge rock formation to go away so their walk would be longer....

MRSBB
04-19-2008, 01:04 AM
This is nice Flint. I like the reflections of the people in the sand. What would you think of cropping about 2 inches off the right? To my view it would make a stronger statement. Keep having fun......Lenore

tgsloth
04-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Just great. I love the feeling and overall color balance and the way you've depicted the wet beach as being alive with colors.

Some suggestions:

Given shadows being thrown the the right, should we not have some highlights on the left sides of the figures?

I'm a bit distracted by the warm brown colors in the clouds and would prefer a grayer treatment.

hward
04-19-2008, 11:22 AM
This is nice. Restful and artistic simultaneously.

I would ask for more texture in the brown hill. Also, the man's clothing seems to be riding up on him on the right side -- even if the photograph shows something like this, still I don't like it -- it gives an awkwardness to the painting which is especially bad because the man is the focus of the painting. Even his right shoulder is up, which makes him appear tense.

The painting has many strong points. Color scheme. The sensitive rendering of the woman. The beautiful water. The watery reflections in the sand. The shadowing in the clothing. The overall clarity.

Dana Design
04-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Darrell, I like this very much. A few tweaks would make it a winner. Lower the shoulders of the gentleman, give him more of a neck and be done with it.

Love the sand and bg. Well done!

Blayne
04-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Lovely painting. I agree that some highlights on the left side of the couple would be good. Also (just IMO) the blue of the ocean is just too blue, especially in the nearest wave. You've done a great job where the surf meets the sand, and in the reflections on the wet sand.

tony1
04-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Flint great job. While there are some good suggestions, I think it's fine as is also. Just great.

zoropb
04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Nice Capture of the moment D.

Sergio

D.W. Flint
04-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Thank you all very much for you insightful suggestions. For sure I always learn something when I do these posts.
Thanks again...

Corby
04-20-2008, 12:49 AM
D.W. this is as usual a lovely painting of the ocean! I did a work up of the changes I think would enhance its beauty. A slight haze covering the seascape to the right. I find it difficult that the sea disappears between the man and woman, why not extend it out too its logical conclusion? All thats needed in my opinion on the mans figure is just a spot of flesh color on his heel of the forward foot. Due to haze in the air I would not actually highlight the figures on their left side but I would put a warm spot ( like the heel color) on the mans bald head, wearm the white hair slightly on that side and do the same for the woman. The far surf line? I would detach it where it all comes together at the mans head. By doing the head and the surf are seperated and each is allowed to find its proper place. If you change the water line back there by extending the sea in ward, be sure that far line of foam does not attach itself to either the man or woman. The last thing is a similar problem where the edge of the scud attaches itself to the mans leg. By unattaching it the foam is allowed to sink back where it belongs and the mans upright stance is accentuated. I surely wish I could capture the beauty of thye sea and the human interaction with it like you do!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2008/70790-108422_couple_3.JPG

kathrynlovespets
04-20-2008, 09:34 AM
beautiful
lovely colors and fluid brushstrokes

maw-t
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Very beautiful! I really _love the people! Great reflections!!

Selahs art
04-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Really nice,
love your reflections its well done

Retha

D.W. Flint
04-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Corby,Kathryn,Maw-1 and Perel.
Again, thank you all for your additional comments and instructions. They'll be put to good use...