PDA

View Full Version : New Landscape

nana b
04-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I just finished this landscape today. 9x12 Wallis with assorted softies. C&C welcome.

nana

WC Lee
04-18-2008, 08:09 PM
ooh this is nice :) good work ...

mrking
04-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Nice shadows

Trilby
04-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Good work indeed. I like the contrast of the tree shadow with the bright light on the road. Nice since of distance. All very peaceful, makes me want to walk along the road here.
TJ

Luvy
04-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Well I thought I posted a comment but don't see it *S*

Anyway I said no critique needed here This is beautifully done. And I also said I wish I could do landscapes *S* (looking around for my other post) I must have lost it somewhere clicking on your website *S*

MrDetail
04-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Nice composition, nice play of light and shadow across the road while retaining a uniform sort of luminance of the pavement. Well done!

IMaybe
04-19-2008, 12:18 AM
:clap: I do think this is pretty! I love the colors, and wish I were there! Really. Is it from OK? I like the copmpostion, but I really like the color choices for the shadows.

Holley
04-19-2008, 06:19 AM
Very nice!

Colorix
04-19-2008, 08:42 AM
*Very* nice light!

Paula Ford
04-19-2008, 09:38 AM
B E A U T I F U L ! ! !

Such fine work nana!

bluefish
04-19-2008, 10:24 AM
nana

that tree on the right looks like a photo - beautiful job!

it's a shame such a beautiful painting is only 9x12 - it would be sensational in a 24x30 or so format - and would 'sell' very quickly!!!!

I recognized that road ( it leads to the 'rhubarb' fields!) :lol:

You are doing absolutely wonderful work - just got to get you to tackle larger works - the public deserves it from such a talented artist!

'blue....'

bnoonan
04-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh wait - let me tell you the story.... I've just made my first cup of coffee and it's a summer morning and I know it's going to be a really hot day so I decide to get my walk in early. As I come around the corner I see the cool shade of the trees so I decide to just soak in the coolness before I hit the sun again and it's so pretty with the light dancing on the grasses up ahead. I never noticed how lavender that cool shadow is!

Ok - I'm done - can you tell I love it!!! Oh and larger is good - especially for my wall or if you make it into a note card I can put it on my desk!!!

Barb

klord
04-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Nana, Beautiful color and great values! Congrats!

nana b
04-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Another big thank you to WC, Mrking, Trilby, Luvy, MrDetail, Imaybe, Holly, Charlie, Paula, bluefish, Barb and Kim! I enjoyed all your wonderful comments and appreciate every one of you!

To bluefish, who is pushing me to work large. I will as soon as I get more sure of myself. I was even thinking about doing this one again but larger. Actually this just started out as a guick study but it got finished!

nana

Donna T
04-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Absolutely gorgeous, Nana!

Donna

Selahs art
04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Good work.

love the colours.

Retha

binkie
04-19-2008, 04:34 PM
This is beautifully done!

binkie

qpdoll
04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow! It's sooo pretty!

bluefish
04-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Nana

Never mind being sure of youself - WE are sure of your talent - now do that beautiful painting in a 24x30 or so size, show it here, sit back and listen to all the positive comments - the WORLD will love it!

and I'll be so proud of you! 'blue....':angel:

mississhippi
04-19-2008, 09:18 PM
This is lovely. I really like the colours of the trees and the way you have captured the look of the leaves.

JWebber
04-19-2008, 10:12 PM
it is lovely, I want to get on my bike and navigate that curve at full speed!!

Judy

lkeely
04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
I also love the shadow on the road! I'm wondering if the dark mass on the right could use some more color variation. I'm getting a bit stuck in it. Though maybe it is just the photo?

Scottyarthur
04-19-2008, 11:46 PM
What an incredible painting the colors are great. The depth is wonderful such a peaceful place. ? the only thing for me is the road seems to tilt down to the right. I have seen roads that do this so it is not a big thing. It is a wonderful painting almost realistic like a photo.

Tatijana
04-19-2008, 11:53 PM
beautiful little painting.
tatijana

NickyW
04-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Very nice, i thought it was the ref photo at first...WOW...

CindyW
04-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Nana,
Very nice with that blue road! Time for a nice country road ride with spring finally here and snow melted!
Cindy

nana b
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Thank you so much Donna, Retha, binkie, qpdoll, blue, Elaine, Judy, Linda, Scotty, tatijana, and Nicky! I appreciate your comments!
Scotty, I do think the road is pretty accurate but the photo I posted isn't very good.
blue, one of these days, I am going to paint a larger one! I really don't have any large wallis paper to work on. I thought about ordering some last time I ordered paper from Dakota but it's pretty expensive and just went with the 12x18 pads which pretty well restricts me. If I make "a lot" of money at the show on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of May :lol: then I will order some "big" paper, ok?
I'm trying to make decisions on pricing and it's driving me nuts! I'm thinking in the range of $350 and $400 on the 11x14's and 12x16's and $250 and $300 on the 8x10's and 9x12's. Does that sound about right? I know that it will probably be lower than the other artist but I'm not established yet.....so.....

nana

Merethe T
04-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Beautiful work!

Merethe

nana b
04-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks Merethe!

nana

David Patterson
04-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Very nice Phyllis! I love the light and shadows in this.

David

nana b
04-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks David!

nana

Michael Jarman
04-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Simply beautiful! I love how it makes me feel to look at it!

nana b
04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Michael, thank you, glad it makes you feel good! That's what it's all about and that makes me feel very good!

nana

scall0way
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh wow, fabulous. Such wonderful *trees*

PeggyB
04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm trying to make decisions on pricing and it's driving me nuts! I'm thinking in the range of $350 and $400 on the 11x14's and 12x16's and $250 and $300 on the 8x10's and 9x12's. Does that sound about right? I know that it will probably be lower than the other artist but I'm not established yet.....so.....

nana

What are your expenses for this show Phyllis? Is there a commission to be taken from your sales? I sent you a pm, but thought others may want to chime in on this issue. Some things to consider:

Framing expenses
Commission to sponsor/gallery
Booth fee?

Pricing like sized work the same is a good idea, but I'm not sure you will cover your expenses for each painting if you charge the prices you are considering. Until I know the answers to the questions above, I can't give futher advise.

Peggy

nana b
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi Peggy! I do my own framing with the exception of one or two that I can't seem to find anything that works. I order moulding and my husband chops and puts together and I frame. I haven't done any matting so far and I do like the unmatted look so far. I am using conservation uv and museum glass. I know i need to decide on one and stick to it but sometimes I can't afford to buy the big sheets of museum to cut down. Plus...I just haven't decided:eek:
I'm sharing a space with my husband and the total cost is $300. But we invested in a canopy tent a few months ago and it was costly. No commissions to pay at this show.
I am leaning toward the "by 2" that you suggested and then adding on framing cost. But then on the other hand, I have some that are favorites of mine and don't want to sell them too cheap:confused:

nana

PeggyB
04-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi Peggy! I do my own framing with the exception of one or two that I can't seem to find anything that works. I order moulding and my husband chops and puts together and I frame. I haven't done any matting so far and I do like the unmatted look so far. I am using conservation uv and museum glass. I know i need to decide on one and stick to it but sometimes I can't afford to buy the big sheets of museum to cut down. Plus...I just haven't decided:eek:
I'm sharing a space with my husband and the total cost is $300. But we invested in a canopy tent a few months ago and it was costly. No commissions to pay at this show.
I am leaning toward the "by 2" that you suggested and then adding on framing cost. But then on the other hand, I have some that are favorites of mine and don't want to sell them too cheap:confused:

nana

OK, this helps. Do not under price the work you put into the framing! That counts as time you aren't painting. :)

I too like the no mat appearance, and with the glass you are using it looks especially nice. I think you'll do well using the "2 times factor" plus framing, and still keep the same sized pieces all the same price.

Now then dear Phyllis, it is time to take a deeeeeep breath and decide what you want to be. A professional painter or a "collector of my favorite pieces". It is very difficult to be both. :lol: I've told these stories before, but here they are again for the newer members of WC. They illustrates how sometimes we as artists are not the best judges of our own work, and at other times faith in something that others don't recognize is ofter eventually rewarded.

A well known professional pastel artist friend of mine who shall remain nameless told me this one. Every year she participate in a local show, but one year forgot to tell her husband which paintings to take to the show since she was going to be out of town. The show sponsor called him to ask if my artist friend would be participating since they'd not gotten her work yet, and since he knew she always did support that show offered to bring some work to them. When she got home and he told her what he'd done, she asked what paintings he'd taken, and he told her. She was very dismayed when he mentioned one she kept at the back of the closet because she wasn't particularily fond of it. However, he liked it so he took it. Welllll - that painting took a top award, and sold. The other two got no awards and didn't sell... A different friend had a painting she dearly loved, and entered it in a national competition only to have it rejected. She tried again, and once again it was rejected. She still liked the painting so she decided to give it one more last try. The last competition was a very large multi-medium show in our area. It was accepted, won first prize, and sold. Neither of these artists priced their paintings any differently than they did all of their work. The least favorite sold for the same price as that artist's favorite paintings sold, and the favorite painting's price wasn't reduced just because it failed to get into two national shows. These ladies are professional artists, and know the value of keeping their pricing consistant no matter how they feel about a given piece. I suggest if you can't bare to let those favorites go just yet that you not bother taking them to the show. If they are different in price from other same size paintings, prospective clients will wonder what is "wrong" with the lesser priced pieces.

Now you have my 2 cents worth of opinion. :D

Peggy

nana b
04-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Inhale........exhale........inhale.........exhale........okay, I'm going to try to be more professional! No more "this is more precious than that"!

And you have to figure that a person will probably get better the more you paint so why keep any of them? Well, maybe one or two:D

Thanks Peggy!

And Scalloway, thank you very much too!

nana

klord
04-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Inhale........exhale........inhale.........exhale........okay, I'm going to try to be more professional! No more "this is more precious than that"!

And you have to figure that a person will probably get better the more you paint so why keep any of them? Well, maybe one or two:D

Thanks Peggy!

And Scalloway, thank you very much too!

nana

Nana,

Peggy is right on target here!

If you have a favorite, keep it until you are ready to let it go. But if you are like me, you want to have the best that you can do out there representing you...

One thing to remember is to let the precious ones go, because that allows room for new ones to come into your life, and allows for growth. Although, some artists do keep what they feel are their best, and do not sell them until they pass away or have some kind of major retrospective, this is a choice as well.

Good luck and have fun!

MrDetail
04-21-2008, 02:05 AM
I think you may find, as I do, that working larger is actually easier. I think I get more done for the amount of effort and details, if there are any, are easier to execute in pastel at a larger scale. If this painting is indicative of your ability, I'd say you are more than ready to work larger. Just do it!

bluefish
04-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Please explain the "2 times factor" - does it mean the dimensions times two? - if that is the case, you're 24x30 should bring in $1440.00 - not bad for a begginer!

I agree ( probably for the first time:lol: ) with Peggy that you shouldn't take favorites to shows - sometimes there are personal attachments with certain paintings that we keep for one reason or other - I personnally have paintings hanging on my walls that 'collectors' have tried to purchase over and over but they are here for a personal reason - nothing wrong with that!

Note: - it's a HORRIBLE economy out there, especially for non-esential items like pastel paintings - your prices seem in line, but I'm not sure of the Ok. economy - I do sell to mid-westerners but they are usually visiting here on vacation and take them home or order and I ship.

Please, please, give us all an update on show sales - the galleries/gift shops/shows on the east coast have seen a real downturn in business - even the Phila. Flower Show, which is second largest only to the London show, saw a downturn in attenance in March.

We are all cheering for you - hope you sell out!

'blue....':cool:

PeggyB
04-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks Peggy!

nana

:clap: :clap: Way to go Phyllis! :thumbsup: You are welcome.

Now then to those who suggest painting larger. . . Good idea, but given the current ecomomic "downturn" (as Blue mentioned) I suggest doing so only for your own enjoyment at this time. Larger paintings mean larger prices, and folks aren't exactly standing in line to purchase nonessential items such as artwork right now. Also the trend in many places is to downsize, and larger paintings don't fit that theme.

Yes Blue, the 2 times factor is 2 times the square inches. The idea is to increase the factor as you add to your cv - the list of acceptances into juried competitions, awards, invitational shows, honors or honoriums, etc.

Peggy

Adriana Meiss
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Wow Nana!
I wouldn't have thought of using pinks on trees but their effect here is incredible! This is a very beautiful scene. I can smell the air and feel the coolness of that shadow!

You are definitely ready for larger sizes, try a half sheet of Wallis or Colourfix next time!

About wanting to keep your favorites, someone told me not to sell them unless I had to. I have learned to let go. A few years ago, I took several paintings and a still life that I really liked to a 2-day show. When I arrived at almost closing time, I was told the still life got sold (I even saw the person in the parking lot with my wrapped painting! I almost cried, because I felt I had not said goodbye to it (I know it sounds silly), but guess what, that person came back next year and bought more art from me! So, there is always an upside to things.

Good luck with your show!

dvantuyl
04-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I love the road, the colors, it is very well done. I find roads so difficult, this inspires me. Donna V.

bluefish
04-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Don't agree with that "2" rule in these economic conditions - especially for a begginer - maybe "2" is OK for small 4"x6" or 8"x10" painings but for larger work, no! They'll never sell - you have to know your market and price accordingly. I've tried small paintings during periods of recession and found they don't move - almost everyone has small paintings, whereas very few have large scale paintings, giving a distinct advantage! Most new homes are 3500/4000SF or larger - big spaces to fill!

But the bubble started to burst two years ago - my sales have been down 40% the past two years over a like period five or more prior years - it will be interesting to see what happens this year - just finished two 36"x48" - I'm an optimist, Peggy!

'bluefish':wave:

dvantuyl
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Now then to those who suggest painting larger. . . Good idea, but given the current ecomomic "downturn" (as Blue mentioned) I suggest doing so only for your own enjoyment at this time. Larger paintings mean larger prices, and folks aren't exactly standing in line to purchase nonessential items such as artwork right now. Also the trend in many places is to downsize, and larger paintings don't fit that theme.
Peggy, I have seen this same thing said a few times. I am not sure that this is true. This is what is being said in the media, but last weekend I sold three paintings, AND got a commission for two large paintings, AND, I am an optimist. I am taking a wait and see attitude. It seems to me with the economy the so called experts are always surprised. It is all good - Donna

nana b
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Klord, I like what you said about allowing for growth as an incenitive to sell the "precious ones"! It certainly makes sense to me now.

MrDetail, I'll bet you're right about it being easier working large with pastel because the bigger the stroke, the easier it is to make with a pastel. But in other ways like needing more room to step back to get a better overall view while your working will be more of a challenging:D Thanks for your vote of confidence!

blue, I'm sorry the economy is effecting your sales to that extent...or any extent and hope it doesn't stay that way very long! I don't think Oklahoma is as effected yet to that degree. The building in this area, OKC, is still doing pretty well. I guess we're getting ready to find out in a few weeks! Thanks for cheering for me!

Peggy, I'm not going to jump into working larger too fast and will be cautious but will try one or two for the fun of it and just see. Thanks for all your help! You have helped me greatly on deciding on prices.

Adriana, I hope that painting works for others like it does you! If they can smell the fresh air and feel the coolness of the shade then they might even buy it:clap: Actually, it makes me feel that way too.

dvantuyl, thanks and you're right that anything can happen with the economy, even good things! Like I said, the area I live in isn't bad off like some parts of the country. Sure the gasoline and groceries are up but the building is still going okay. Cheers to you on your sells and I can understand why, your paintings are top notch!

Thanks to all, nana

nana

prestonsega
04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
This comp is so perfect, it made me sit up straight!

nana b
04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Preston, I've never heard it put like that but what a great compliment!!

Thanks, nana

AliciaS
04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
This is a beautiful landscape! I love it!!

pastelmimigt
04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
This is beautiful. I love the colors and movement. The only thing I might change is the shadow on the road a bit to show more of the shapes in the trees that's it's projected from. I think the top line of it might be too straight and the edge a little too hard. Great job!!