PDA

View Full Version : Behind The Plow

walt curlee
04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-18-2008/77745_BehindThePlow-72dpi.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-18-2008/77745_BehindThePlow-zoom.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Behind The Plow
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Behind The Plow 2008

A panorama landscape painting of a farmer behind the plow pulled by mules in the foreground and trees, farms, fields, farm animals, farm houses,ba
s and montains in the background. Painted in oil on canvas by Walt Curlee. Size is 16" x 20", created 2008, collection of the artist

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I like to hear everyones comments, both pros and cons.

Jim Updegraff
04-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Not a plow, damn it. Itís a cultivator. :)

Someplace (maybe in the sixth pit) Thomas Hart Benton is smiling.

allieboo
04-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow. It's gorgeous! What talent!

Is the bottom picture just a close up of the top one? The colors look so different..

Blayne
04-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow is right--terrific painting! This takes me back a few years. My Dad plowed with a horse or mule. I've never seen them hitched in tandem this way, though. He used a single-tree hitch (for one animal) or a double-tree for two. My favorite part of this painting is the lovely shine on those mules' coats.

tgsloth
04-19-2008, 12:48 PM
The painting mastery is evident as is the Bentonesque style. But I'd like to add a special bon bon for the dynamic and creative composition.

The furrows and clouds spiral in towards the houses and one more poetical than I could dwell on the meaning of this, but it looks great. Even the hat points into this whirlpool.

Double wow.

Dana Design
04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Excellent! A fantastic painting. Overall sensational.

did I say I liked it?

I truly think you're one excellent artist and with so few working in this genre, I do hope you're selling these right off the easel. Beautiful work.

walt curlee
04-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Your right it is a cultivator, but most wouldn't know what that is, but have heard of a plow, and "Behind The Cultivator" does not work for me and I can't think of a better name for this painting. The bottom is a close-up, but don't know why it is different. These painting really take a long time, over a month on this one ( but that includes research time a well). And i'm not selling them right off the easle, yet lol.

Ronni
04-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Another piece of lost perfect heaven! the place most of us, at least me, want to belong to, peaceful, under controll and safe for ever.

maw-t
04-20-2008, 12:33 PM
WOw again! I wasn't surprized to hear how long it took. You are a very patient man/woman?. I am not a detail lover from waaay back, but this painting offers so much more than that... As Tgsloth mentioned, the bon bons are delicious ! It appears to be painted from looking through some type of rounded lens with that whirlpool effect. The boy, especially, has a Norman Rockwell feel to me...He is my fave part... love that hat!! A shame these are not selling:(...

I really like Ronni's words as a title " Lost Perfect Heaven "

walt curlee
04-20-2008, 01:27 PM
If Ronni has no objection, I will change the name " Lost Perfect Heaven ".

lunchbox
04-20-2008, 01:58 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: ( beyond words - just pure reaction)

Dana Design
04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
If Ronni has no objection, I will change the name " Lost Perfect Heaven ".

And, indeed it is. In more ways than one.

pinkpetunia
04-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I would love to know more about your technique. What do you use as a reference? You mentioned research time, what do you do? I absolutely love your technique and wish you would do one as a WIP including your research and what's involved.

laf.art
04-20-2008, 05:15 PM
This says Peace to me. Wonderful painting

tony1
04-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Just great. No matter what you decide to call it, it won't change what an excellent piece this is.

greensyster
04-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Totally captivating. I know I am looking at a great piece if my eye keeps finidng new excitement and also wants to return to 'seen' areas again and again without one nerve being harshly jangled. Story told with a truly talented brush. Thank you for posting it.

LynnDigby
04-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Wonderful! It has a Thomas Hart Benton feel. What great energy!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2008/71979-crash_thomas_benton.gif

Do you see it? Great minds....

walt curlee
04-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi pinkpetunia, to explain alittle. I have found reference for the purple hull peas and know that it is a staple farm crop and was in the 50's as well. found ref for the farmer and cultivator, farmhouse, chickenhouse and old 40's truck and sky. I like to be knowledgable about what I paint. I also plan my paintings in detail before I start. I paint in thin layers, using mostly thinner and gradually build up my picture. Hope this helps alittle.

walt curlee
04-21-2008, 07:10 AM
And what a complement Lynn. Thanks