GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Cruel Penelope
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18*18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My brother and his then girlfriend. He was quite taken by the girl, and had retu<br>ed from Iraq when I had the two pose for me. I was going through a Mucha phase( I still am I just toned it down) and wainted to paint something that had some mucha like traits.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any

Jayde
04-19-2008, 06:24 AM
What is mucha and 'mucha like traits'?

thomas w
04-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I enjoy the large planes of color and the framing of picture in blue. I would suggest some subtle highlights in her hair to make that area stand out a little more.
Thomas W

tgsloth
04-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Well, she looks cruel, all right and the idea of the male figure hiding is a good compositional trick. The rough treatment can often be considered painterly but at the same time, it risks looking unfinished, like a study. The area of your painting which seems the weakest to me is the vertical shapes in the rear. What are they? They seem to have been placed in the painting thoughtlessly.

On the Mucha question, do you mean Alphonse Mucha? I don't know any other Muchas and Alphonse strikes me as more like Beardsley or Klimmt than like your painting. Where's the connection? I attach a Mucha.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2008/124239-0000-3587-4Dance-Posters.jpg

Dante!!!
04-21-2008, 12:22 AM
A common motif used in the works of Mucha are circles as a framing deceive surrounded by elaborate framing devices. When I was doing lithography is probably when I aped his designs more blatantly. I loved his use of line and deceptively simple compositions. By the time I went to painting this I dumped most of Mucha style elements that I used in the original composition.
As for the back ground those would be trees, this isn't the best picture that I have ever taken.