Dimension: 16x20inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
just experimenting with color/light<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any comments/criticisms are appreciated

keenart
04-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I really like this work, the pose is nice. A work of this quality does deserve a background of some note to tie the composition and depth together.

MRSBB
04-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Nice painting Tony. To me the lady seems to be performing for an audience, so maybe the background could have muted faces watching her performance. Just a thought.......Lenore

tony1
04-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Thank you Keenart and Lenore for your comments. I thought about a background, but I wanted to leave it to areas of dark and light. I've seen others painted in this manner and rather liked it and wanted to try it. I think the suggestion of a background is valid, but it would make it a different (maybe better) painting. Thanks again.

keenart
04-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Always go with your goal. My suggestion is just that, and sometimes less is more and often better. It is a nice work either way.

Corby
04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi Tony! I would give you an A+ on both color and light. Aside from that...to use an archaic expression, it has "good vibes".

maw-t
04-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Very nice!!! I would like a slight impression of faces in the audiance also... But yes this works well !

tgsloth
04-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Captivating simple composition and I like the background.

The depiction of the dress shows it as very heavy. As if it was soaking wet. This may have been intentional and I'm not really sure why it "reads" that way but I pass my observation to you.

The head leans left. Somehow, to my eyes, the grooves in the hair and the tilt of the head are mismatched.

billmahler
04-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Nice vision, Tony
The light steals the show.
It's fine as is, but here are couple of thoughts:
Where the light turns on her waist, you might add some cool color to indicate the turn.
There is bright warm light behind her on her right. I think her dress and hair could reflect some of that.
Based on the light, I'm looking for some cast shadow under her left arm

Ronni
04-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Tony, I like the movement and colors in this piece, it certainly causes an emotional response, I would suggest you to develope this gesture of the dancer further, if you decide on realism, be more flexible with the lines, if simbolism, get freeir and more extreem, the part I love the most is her head and hairdress, the composition and her bit stiff back and too small left palm miss further investment, but all together I do get exited by the atmosphire and character.

tony1
04-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Corvus, thank you for the comment and the lesson on light from one of your critiques on a still life of mine. I applied it here.

Maw-T I can see the point about an audience, and thanks.

TG thanks. You're right the dress does look heavy, not as much irl, but still it does. Not intentional and I'm not sure why. It may be the layers of dry brush. I think you're right about the head also. I may try to correct.

Thanks Bill and you're right about the reflected light. I did put some on the dress but it could use more. As well as the arms. I didn't put any on the head. And you're right about the shadow of the arm, and the waist with a cooler color. Will fix, thanks.

Ronni, thanks. All good points, as usual. I started to do this as a more impressionistic piece and then got carried away with dry brushing in layrers of colors and blending. So I got caught between styles (as per usual for me in a piece like this). I'll have to decide which way to go, but your points are well taken.