PDA

View Full Version : blending

zedek
04-18-2008, 05:17 AM
For photorealism and portraits, what blending tools do you recommend?
has anyone actually used creative mark transitions. seen here:
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/5116
If I am working on fine grit Uart paper with schmincke and some nu pastels, would these transitions work?
Also, what pastels do you recommend for detail?:heart:

dobber
04-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I've never used the items that you have mentioned but I have used rubber tipped brushes. They blend beautifully. You can find these on the Dakota pastel website. I believe they are called colour shapers.

Paula Ford
04-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't use any tools to blend, just the pastels themselves. I'm sure some of the folks that do realism will be by to contribute soon and will answer your questions.

M Douglas
04-18-2008, 02:00 PM
The only things I use are my fingers, the pastels themselves and pastel pencils. I have a hard time using the rubber tip brushes they always seem to lift to much pastel off. I also find my electric eraser invaluble.

Melodie

Deborah Secor
04-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I agree--fingers are best for limited blending but mostly I use the buildup of pastels themselves. Too much blending makes pastel into a muddy mess, breaks down the crystal structure that makes pastel brilliant and generally destroys the glow that's the strongest feature of our medium.

These brushes look like a great marketing idea.... I can hear them now, "Hey, we can sell them BRUSHES, too!" These fancy 'blending brushes' will wear down to nothing on toothy paper and need replacing.

Fingers? Clean, convenient and cheap!

I also find that I can use any pastel to do details. Find an edge or make one. Often harder pastels and the so-called pastel pencils take more pastel off than adding detail...

BTW, have you explored the many pages of our thread in Pastel Talk called "How to Get Started in Soft Pastels" for our newbies. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392571)..? A lot of information there!

Deborah