Title: CJ's Baseball Gear
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
First ever posting on this site.

A present for my nephew's 8th b-day. I was working on a study of a ball and glove and he really loved it (he even offered to buy it), so I created this piece that includes his cap and shirt (the original study met a bad ending).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments on composition, and tonal balance. I feel that the ball may be a bit too bright still. Any other critiques are also welcome.

D.W. Flint
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Beatifully done !! What else can I say...Let's see some more:thumbsup:

diquattrom
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
excellent job. Great composition. The ball doesn't seem too bright.

MRSBB
04-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Your painting is excellent and welcome to the forum. The only thing that would make it better for me would be a few scuff marks on the ball and glove. I'll be looking forward to your next post.........Lenore

mstngmann
04-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Thank you all so much for your coments. This the first piece that I feel is worthy of display since my return to art and it feels good to get verification of my efforts.

Lenore,

I agree that a few scuffs would add some noce character, however the ball and glove I used for my still life were quite new. Perhaps at the end of my nephew's season I can try another piece for myself.

Thanks again

mstngmann
04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments. This the first piece that I feel is worthy of display since my return to art and it feels good to get verification of my efforts.

Lenore,

I agree that a few scuffs would add some nice character, however the ball and glove I used for my still life were quite new. Perhaps at the end of my nephew's season I can try another piece for myself.

Thanks again,

Manny

My Blog (http://anotherpainter.blogspot.com/)

cbcarnell
04-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Magnificent!

billmahler
04-18-2008, 01:04 AM
The light seems to be coming from my upper right based on the shadow being cast by the glove. It that is correct, there would seem to be a need for some cast shadows on the ball.

There would also seem to be a need for some darker values under the bill of the hat.

Nicely composed and painted.
Good colors.

tgsloth
04-18-2008, 08:00 AM
The cap and shirt are really perfect. You worried that the ball is too bright. I feel it needs rather a bit more rounding (value variation). The glove is beautifully rendered and it's a tough subject. I was about to say that it looks too new but then in the other posts, I read it is new. That does make the subject less interesting but whaadya gonna do?

The colors of the glove seem a little off with the leather red and the stiching blue but new ones are perhaps that way.

tony1
04-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Great piecce. I don't think the ball is too bright it's fine, compared to the white in the 3 on the shirt it looks correct.

I agree with Bill about the shadow on the ball. This would help solve 2 problems, the first it gives more roundness to the ball and the second the upper part of the ball is not convincingly inside the glove. It seems the ball is even with the thumb, the shading will push it back into the glove a bit more. Unless that is what you intended, then instead of shadow from the glove thumb just give it some shading for roundness.

the stitching on the glove is excellent as you've captured the different shades of leather.

Carrie
04-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Tony took the words right out of my mouth. I too was thinking the ball should be brighter than the number on the jersy, I's the focus I assume. Nice work.

Carrie

mstngmann
04-19-2008, 11:58 AM
The light seems to be coming from my upper right based on the shadow being cast by the glove. It that is correct, there would seem to be a need for some cast shadows on the ball.

There would also seem to be a need for some darker values under the bill of the hat.

Nicely composed and painted.
Good colors.

Thank you for the great critique.

Sometimes it is easy to miss some of the more obvious mistakes. I added a darker value under the bill of the cap. I also added a slight shadow on the right edge of the ball and darkened the left side. In the original image, from a long gone still life, the ball is actually resting slighly next to the thumb as opposed to under it, so there is very little shadow on that side of the ball to be seen. I agree that it would make more sense visually to recede the ball a bit, but I fear that I will overwork the piece (something which I've been known to do).

Manny