PDA

View Full Version : My Intro: w/ studio & bead pics

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Hello, I wanted to formally introduce myself. I've been making lampwork beads since Spring 2002 (about 4 months now), and loving every minute! I'm including a photo of my studio, and some of my beads at 12 weeks. (I haven't photographed my 16 week beads yet, similar, just a little tighter).

I work with Bullseye glass exclusively, a Lynx torch, an OGSI-15 generator, and work in my basement studio. My husband and kids are very supportive (though they still want, and get, dinner everynight!)

I love this forum, and am glad to have met so many of you already on line.

Best, Valorie

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 04:29 PM
Here is a detail shot of my studio, kiln, and where my 'with-in reach' glass is stored. The bulletin board changes constantly, and is a source of inspiration for me.
Valorie

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 04:33 PM
Finally, here are some of my beads at 12 weeks. (Bullseye glass). I'm at about 16 weeks now with lampworking and will get some of those photographed soon. These are using Scott clear glass (very clear), French Vanilla, and Cranberry. (I think I've got a sweet tooth!)

Comments, critiques?

Valorie:cat:

macbeth7
07-07-2002, 04:55 PM
Hiya Valorie,

12 weeks!! Wow, can't wait to see your future work! Those are lovely.

I think you win the award for neatest work area!

:clap:
Beth

Red*Dog*Designs
07-07-2002, 05:19 PM
Hi Valerie !

Those are wonderful beads !! Your workspace doesn't really stay THAT neat all the time does it ???????????? Fess up !!

:cool:

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 05:28 PM
You are funny! Yeah, I keep it about that clean. There is more storage behind (cabinet and bookcases) that aren't shown, and in designing the space, I allowed room for everything to have a home. I have a hard time working unless the table is all cleaned off, and only the colors I am working on a particular day, I keep out.

Well ok...I did have to shoo a couple of cats, sweep off some glass chips, and move a few photos due for the bulletin board, but I wanted a pretty picture!

Val:cat:

b2beads
07-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Hi Val! Those are WONDERFUL beads. 12 weeks - OMG! (Don't you love it when people say that kinda stuff!!!) They are wonderful. I haven't tried Bullseye yet, but really want to. I've heard such great stuff about it.

At first I thought your studio pic was a joke! No one's studio could look THAT neat...:D Great work space, ventilation, light. I'm still in my breakfast nook... planning on moving upstairs and hooking up natural gas, but just not moving too fast these days.

Oh, and I still crack up at the swimming guinea pig pic. And am still unconvinced that Oscar was "really enjoying the water"... ;)

Man, there have been a lot of awesome beads posted lately by "newbies"!!! A lot of talent out there ("oldbies", too - ;) My 6 month torching anniversary is tomorrow! Woo hoo! Seems like it's always been a part of my life...but it's only been 6 months. Hard to believe.

B2

David Seckendorf
07-07-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi Valerie,

Here's an official welcome. I know you've been hanging around here for a while. Thanks for your input.

Your beads are amazing for being at it for such a short time.

Unfortunately, you're also kicked right out of the messy studio contest. I don't think you ever had a chance :)

David

Lara
07-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Valorie:

Wonderful. I have just started working with bullseye and am still getting used to it. I love your beads. The cranberry on white swirl and the subtle white on clear swirl are just gorgeous.

I wish my studio looked that good.

Lara

rightbrainbeads
07-07-2002, 07:14 PM
OMG valerie! your studio and your beads are awesome! i am sure that my beads were nowhere near that spectacular at 12 weeks!!!

it's so great seeing you here-- everytime i see your 'tinyhead' smiling face it makes me smile because it's just so darn happy!:D

ok! i just snuck over here to WC between studying- said i wasn't going to post anything :eek: !

see ya, and welcome!

lynne

Stacylynne
07-07-2002, 07:25 PM
Val very very nice work area, I am in the process of looking into setting up shop again and I am just trying to get the most space out of the area I will be working in. I didn't see your propane tank or Oxy tank did I miss something?

Your beads are just beautiful and I love the colors honey.
Stacylynne

Jennifer Geldard
07-07-2002, 07:26 PM
Your beads are just beautiful! I can't believe you've been at it such a short time! And the cleanliness of your studio makes me feel like a total slob!!!
I've been avoiding showing my studio beacause I'm sure people
will have to leave their computers in disgust :rolleyes:

Glassy79
07-07-2002, 07:40 PM
Val, I'm impressed! Wow. talk about a clean work area/studio. I thought mine was clean and neat. yours looks more like the operating room at St V's hospital. Thanks for show us.

margaretz
07-07-2002, 07:41 PM
wow, valorie, those beads are great... i'm especially envious of your studio. So clean and tidy! I'm just starting the process of converting an odd room in our house to the studio, but it's going to be a while before its all done... can't believe you've only been at it for 4 months!

Rhona
07-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Hi Valorie, your beads are stunning to say the least, I really like the white-on-white look, kind of like bridal dress material.
Your studio is awesome.
Keep the pictures coming it is inspiration, I am very new to lampworking but love it.
Thanks for sharing.
Rhona:cat:

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 08:04 PM
Wow, I'm overwhelmed with the kind comments. I haven't been able to show my studio or beads to anyone yet (except my husband, who is very kind anyway).

I did find the studio a bit easier to design as I was starting with nothing, just an empty room. Richard Clark was very helpful in advising me of the right equipment to get from the beginning, for what my glass interests were. The studio was first larger, but I found it much easier to lay it out, once I defined my 'walls' within a smaller, tighter space.

StacyLynn, you asked about the tanks and propane: If you look at the window in the first photo, you will see the propane hose running though a small hole in the plexiglass, out to the outside, which is ground level, and where my propane tank is behind a row of bushes. (And a bit of a pain to get to, oh well!) Here is a photo of that.

(Generator photo follows next)

Valorie

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 08:07 PM
And as you asked, here is my oxygen source (OGSI-15 Generator), which sits next to the table.

Valorie

Glassy79
07-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Thank you Val...........I'm glad i was there to give you what I thought was good advice. it might not be the same for everyone. Really depends on which way they are going. what do they want to do? what kind of glass you going to work with? what do you plan on making? Sounds like 64 questions! I wish I had that kind of help in the beginning. I was as new as you. Recieved a different answer from everyone. You want to take a glass. LOREN STUMP! I don't care what anyone else says. I wish I had taken his class when I started. I learned more from Loren then the other 3 classes put together. and I did learn a lot at those other classes. Your doing well val. You sure thats not an art studio you have there. painting maybe???

Modesto
07-07-2002, 08:30 PM
Hey Valorie,

Your beads are absolutely wonderful, I see no reason to hide them at all. Thank you for sharing:cool:

Geez, I thought I kept our studio clean:D

candygrrl
07-07-2002, 09:14 PM
Valorie,

Great studio! I can't say I keep mine that neat, but I might if I had that much room :D I like the calm feeling of a white room myself. I'm not sure I would like it so much if my studio were brightly colored... too much distraction! Of course I listen to instrumental new age music mostly when I work, so there you go... :rolleyes:

One question, are you pleased with your Lynx-Generator setup? Did you move up from a different torch? I think that would be my next move up and I wondered if it worked well for you.

Candace

Shirley C.
07-07-2002, 09:28 PM
Valorie, love your beads! It's funny, about an hour ago, I did a couple just like yours with the "twists" (cobalt on sky blue). Well, not JUST like yours - yours are better than mine!

Now, about that studio... How on earth can you work in such a clean place? It would give me the heebeegeebies! (I'm just jealous, that's all.)

Keep posting beadie pix - love 'em!

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Candace, I am so happy with the Lynx and OGSI generator, a perfect combination, plenty of heat and pressure. Richard Clark (Glassy79) is the expert on the Lynx and OGSI's as he works with both companies in product research for glass artists, and uses these items himself. I took my first weekend intro lesson from Ann Shermo who worked on a Minor with Oxygen tanks. Other than that, I started with the Lynx, and got the generator a week or so later. (I had to sell my etching press to buy it all, but it was only collecting dust after I started working with glass anyway

Shirley, The 'heebeegeebies!' that is too funny. Ok when my studio starts to get messy, I'll post another photo!

Best, Valorie

:cat:

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-08-2002, 02:43 AM
Valorie
Those are such COOL/CRISP BEADS.
Now I understand why your beads are so crisp and bright....it has to be the clean work area ! ! ! Mine gets to be a jumble with too many ideas and styles going at the same time and too many ideas and not enough time to do all of them. I do make myself work on the same one for as long as I can stand it and then I have just got to do something else. Feast or Famine is the ticket around here. And something else.....too many kinds of glass ! ! ! I love working with Bullseye, the colors are so bright. I even tried reduction frit on a couple and they were fun.....Blame that one on Shirley and her Reduction Frit Exchange......What great fun.
O.K. rambling night-owl here signing off ! ! !
Bobby

Nonie
07-08-2002, 04:51 AM
Valorie...your beads are beautiful. Yummy too.
What can I say about that studio of yours. I mean, I am a neat freak but you have me beat. Your studio is amazing. Love it!

Glassy79
07-08-2002, 07:42 AM
I can't wait to see what val calls messy!!!!

cankeep
07-08-2002, 08:18 AM
Valorie,
Beautiful beads. and check out those tiny even little dots! I've seen people's beads that have been doing them for years with dots that are less precisely formed and placed than yours!
I started out with Bullseye too. It's wonderful glass!
Now your workshop is another matter altogether! It's just too organized and clean!! :p
Seriously, if you ever decide to go into a side line business besides making beads, I'll bet you could rent yourself out as a studio design consultant. People like me need lots of help in that area!:D My studio is a collection of odds and ends of furniture and shelving and since I like to have everything within arms reach around the torch, the shop is a cluttered mess!
Is there an organization for people like me? Pack Rats anonymous maybe?
I cleaned and organized all day yesterday (shamed into it after I posted the picture of my disaster area) and it still looks like a bomb hit it compared to your beautiful serene workspace.

MarySarah
07-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Hi Valorie,

I am new here ... this is my first post and I'm feeling a little "shy" about posting since I'm not only new here, but completely new to the world of glass work. I have been attempting to make beads for just a week now ... without anything too great to show for it! Thank you for sharing; I really enjoy seeing what other people are doing.

Great beads! I love the colors. I am amazed you've been making beads for only a few months.

I enjoyed the photos of your studio too and admit to a bit of "studio envy." It's not only so clean but it looks like a pleasant place to work ... I'm currently in the garage (sharing my space with spiders and other "creatures of the garage").

I have a couple of questions about Bullseye glass and about your kiln that I am hoping you can help me with ...

You said you work exclusively in Bullseye glass. Why did you choose that over Moretti? I've only seen Bullseye in sheets ... are you able to buy it somewhere in rods?

What kind of kiln do you have? I had a top-loading kiln ordered and cancelled it because I just wasn't sure after all if that's what I wanted ... so I am trying to learn what I can about the different types. Why did you choose the one you have?

Thanks so much for your help! Feel free to email me (I think you can find my email in my profile, but if not, please let me know and I'll try to fix that ... I'd rather not post it here if I don't have to).

I am very interested to see your 16-week beads and see what you can do now :p

Mary

Glassy79
07-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Welcome to WC mary. Slip off your shoes lay back and relax and enoy the place. great group of people, and information galore. what ever it is you wish to know/ask. do so. you'll get all the answers to your questions. and before you know it. your be a full time bead maker. :D

ValorieCox
07-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Mary, Welcome!
I am sending you a 'personal message' through this system, in a minute answering your questions about the Bullseye, and the kiln, etc. You should be able to find your 'PM', or Personal Messages on the main page.

Glad you've joined us, don't be shy!
Best, Valorie

Modesto
07-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Welcome to WC Mary:clap:

MarySarah
07-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Hi Richard, Valorie, & Harold, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Valorie, I'm still trying to figure this site out ... I'm not computer illiterate but also am not familiar with this type of forum. I hope I can find the PM area again ... I just sent you a private message (I think! Otherwise, it's floating around out there somewhere in cyberspace.)

I admit, I feel a little intimidated (okay, more than a little) in posting to this site. Not because it's not friendly (it is) but because I am so new to this and am a little worried about asking too many questions and coming off like a pest!

I have been reading the ISGB site for a while now and I haven't made a single post over there yet, but I was so taken with your beads and studio, Valorie, I decided to just jump in here. Also knowing that you're relatively new to all of this gives me hope that I will improve.

I know I'm new to glass work but I stand in awe of everyone's work. Right now I've managed to make just a few beads that are

1) round
2) have centered holes
3) have dimples

I feel like I should be able to do this by now. My husband is very encouraging, he keeps telling me it has only been one week since I first lit my torch. I tend to be somewhat hard on myself - I guess that's the perfectionist in me. But I usually learn things pretty easily and ... well ... making glass beads is a LOT harder than I thought it would be.

Thanks again everyone for your welcome ... I am off to see if I can find the PM area again.

:) Mary

rightbrainbeads
07-09-2002, 12:55 AM
hi mary, and welcome!

if you still haven't found the personal message thingie, click on 'my wc', and you'll see it...

i can really relate to what you wrote about your husband encouraging you... i can't tell you how many times my dh's support has been more or less the only reason i've persisted with lampworking. i've felt so frustrated, so many times, because i couldn't achieve a certain effect, or even make one decent bead for days on end!

so anyway, (my point, and i do have one :D )listen to your husband!! and **keep making beads and asking questions**!!!

lynne

Carol Saker
07-09-2002, 02:36 AM
Wonderful beads and studio! The beads are truly delicious - I love Bullseye colors. Keep posting more beads! :clap:

Carol

Anne Londez
07-09-2002, 05:44 AM
Hi Mary

Welcome to the glass world ! :clap:
I started alone at home 2 years ago without any class (nor any supportive husband or anyone for that matter) so I think I understand you. I know it's been said before but the key is practice ! And if you haven't taken a class, do that, it really helps a lot.
Anne

MarySarah
07-09-2002, 11:08 AM
Hi Lynne, Anne & Carol -- thanks for the welcome and the advice! I appreciate it.

Anne, I'd love to take a class but it will have to wait ... too many other things going on right now between the kids being home for the summer, dh's lousy work schedule, baby-sitter problems ... and the list goes on! I am having lots of fun playing with glass but I would love to get to the point where I feel more proficient ... hopefully before my frustration level outstrips my patience ;)

Lynne, I was able to find the PM area again ... am starting to get more familiar with this forum. I even tried to upload a photo of myself but it was so teeny that I wasn't even sure it was me! I'll have to try again. Your DH sounds like a great guy and I'm glad he encourages you to keep pushing through the inevitable rough periods when you feel like you can't do anything right (that's been my total beadmaking experience so far, lol) My DH has been a great supporter of my endeavors over the years .... even when he really couldn't care less about something (such as the English smocking I used to do when my children were small and would wear what I wanted them to!), he was still very encouraging. It makes a big difference when you feel like your nearest and dearest support you, doesn't it?

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better and seeing more of your work.

Mary

macbeth7
07-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Hiya Mary, welcome to WC! :clap: Look forward to seeing some of your beads soon! Aren't supportive DH's nice...love mine! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beth

redhotbeads
07-11-2002, 11:50 AM
Great beads, Val - like so many others have said, can't believe it's only 12 or so weeks that you've been at it. Very nice.

And your studio! It's so .... so..... CLEAN!!! You'd laugh good and hard if you saw mine. It's not nearly that clean . In fact it's probably time to clean it out again!
Kelly