PDA

View Full Version : Bead Jewelry

Carol Saker
07-07-2002, 03:33 PM
I saw B2's request for jewelry with our beads, so I'm cheating a little since I can't make anything I would like to sell yet. This was made with one of Pat Lauzon's wonderful boro beads. This is my first attempt at something like this and I would truly love some honest feedback from all of you more experienced folk.

Thanks in advance,

Carol :cat:

Carol Saker
07-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Here is a close up of the dangle.

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 03:40 PM
Carol, It's beautiful! So much time went into this piece, and it shows. I love the colors and the details. This pale color is so nice for wearing, as it is light enough to show up if you wear dark colors, but bright enough if wearing white, or a pattern.

(Teeny-tiny suggestion:) I like to photograph a necklace with the majority coiled up a bit, that lets the photo be a little bit smaller and tighter, everything is in the photos still, so we can see all the little details a bit better.

Thanks for answering Beth's call, I love to see the finished pieces, and this one is scrumptous!

Best, Valorie

ValorieCox
07-07-2002, 03:42 PM
Carol,
Of boy, you posted your detail, as I was asking for a tighter photo! Now I'm embarrassed!

Valorie

Lara
07-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Just beautiful. I'm sure that necklace took a long time to make. Is it bead crochet or what?

Lara

Carol Saker
07-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Thanks Valorie and Lara! :angel: It was really fun learning how to put it all together.

Lara, yes it is bead crochet. My infinitely patient friend taught me how to do it and now I can't stop! Hubby is tripping over yards of bead laden threads draped all over the house. The most fun is shopping for focal beads to make more necklaces. :)

macbeth7
07-07-2002, 07:16 PM
Wow Carol, that necklace is wonderful!! :clap: :clap: Wish I had the patience for bead crochet!

Beth

margaretz
07-07-2002, 07:43 PM
BEAUTIFUL necklace! very meticulous bead work... great job!

Shirley C.
07-08-2002, 11:10 PM
Carol, what a beautiful necklace! And how patient you are. Would love to see more pix of your jewelry, what a fine job!

b2beads
07-09-2002, 12:04 AM
Gorgeous, Carol! I've never tried the crochet, but I love doing Viking Knit. I need to upload my jewelry pics to the reference library as they are too big for here...

I love the focal with dangles! Beautiful work. Now, make one with your OWN focal! B2

Ann*S
07-09-2002, 12:22 AM
Carol,
I wish I could do that. The focal is great too...but soon they will be with your own...How nice.
Ann

Carol Saker
07-09-2002, 02:19 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! I feel so supported by such talented people. I'll keep working for that day when I open the kiln and scream YES, YES, YES!!! while holding the focal bead of my dreams aloft. :D

I am going to float off to bed now.....

Thanks again,

Carol

MarySarah
07-09-2002, 11:15 AM
Carol, that is a great necklace! I have never heard of crocheting beads ... is it hard to do? I love your sense of color and balance.

Are you just beginning to make beads or have you been doing it for a while?

Mary

macbeth7
07-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Mary,

if you did "English smocking" (which I imagine to be meticulous work?), I imagine you'd be a natural at bead crocheting , bead weaving, et al. Involves lots of patience with tiny little seed beads.

:cat:
Beth

Carol Saker
07-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Hi MarySarah,

Nice to meet you - I love your name. :) Thanks for your nice comment. I haven't been beading for very long - I am learning lots of new things and trying to find my inner muse ( I think she is vacationing in Siberia right now LOL) . I started lampworking a year ago, but my arthritis is keeping me from doing much right now.

The bead crochet is a little frustrating at first, (Beth is right about the patience factor) but now that I have some practice I can go lickety split! I was lucky enough to have a friend show me how. If you check out Bead and Button's website, they have a how to section which has some instructions on Bead crochet.

Carol

MarySarah
07-09-2002, 10:24 PM
Hi Beth & Carol -- Nice to "meet" you both!

I did find English smocking fun & easy once I'd learned how and I hope you're right, Beth, and that maybe I'll be able to learn to do bead crochet. I love how it looks - very refined. What a cute photo of your dog!

Carol, thanks for the compliment on my name ... actually, just my mom and sisters call me that but I like it too, because Mary is such a "plain" name. When I was younger, I went through a phase where I spelled it various ways ... Mari, Merry, Maree. I think a lot of young girls do things like that ... or else I'm just weird!

I got an issue of Bead and Button today and lo and behold, guess what's on the cover? A bead crochet necklace. Did you see that? Not nearly as lovely as yours, IMHO.

You sound a bit like me ... I too have been on a "gotta learn it" thing since last fall. I started with beading (just stringing, not bead stitching) and then got interested in lampwork and wire work ... and now it looks like I'll be attempting to bead crochet at some point! I have read that trying to learn new things helps keep your brain "young" and maybe all of my recent excitement about trying new things is my brain trying to tell me something;)

Have you ever tried those paraffin baths for the arthritis? I have seen those in magazines and they say the warm paraffin works wonders. My hands hurt a bit after a long session of beading ... I've been wondering if it is arthritis, too.

Mary

wildfirelauri
07-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Just gorgeous. That is a true labor of love.

redhotbeads
07-10-2002, 02:33 PM
Carol, I love that necklace! Very cool.

Here's one I did, a matching bracelet and choker :

redhotbeads
07-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Let me try that again!

macbeth7
07-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Well, I'm going to be like your mom & sisters & call you MarySarah from now on...I like it! :D

When I was a kid I was mad at my parents for giving me such a boring name...I'm not even an Elizabeth...& then there's my initials...Beth Anne Dallam... Here's a close-up of doggie...she's actually showing off one of her lampwork pendants. Brian is holding up a treat off camera to get the pose! :p

Bead & Button always seems to have cool designs for bead crocheting, weaving, & the like. I've just never felt I had the patience to do any of them!

I've heard that paraffin baths do help arthritis sufferers, but don't have any personal experience with them...no arthritis yet here, but I'm sure my time will come!

Beth

Carol Saker
07-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Kelly, I love your bracelet and choker - very elegant!

Thanks again everybody! :cat: