PDA

View Full Version : Pop-Portrait

FirstMidnightrose
04-16-2008, 05:13 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-16-2008/138356_Dscn4231_WM.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-16-2008/138356_pop.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pop-Portrait
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted my Grandfather as a gift for my Grandmother. My Grandfather was a very mischievious, playful man with a great sense of humor. He was well known and well loved. I was very scared in attempting to paint him, as I wanted so much to catch him as he was. This is my first attempt at a portrait with glasses.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Did I catch his mischievious spirit? Any suggestions for future portraits(as this one is already hanging at Grandmothers). Is there a "likeness"? Open to any and all suggestions!!!

D.W. Flint
04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
This is great painting. He does look like he's about to pull a fast one. And you captured a good likeness too. Also, good job on the glasses. If you're still working on it I might darken the shadow side a bit, and the back of the chair is a little distracting. Only personal suggestions though. Good one :thumbsup:

OkeeKat
04-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Wow Remarkable Likeness!! Excellent portrait. I have yet to attempt a human portrait.. you did wonderful!!

aspybey
04-16-2008, 10:58 PM
I am not blessed with the ability to paint portraits but I really feel the life in your grandfather in the way you've painted him. My only critique is the chair back, it's color is too close to the color of his shirt and the sculpture of the back follows the sculpture of his shoulders. In the picture, the chair's back actually flairs up slightly on the corners, I'd exaggerate that a bit and change the fabric to a solid color that isn't so close in tone to his shirt. Other than that, it's great and your painting of your grandfather himself is awesome! I love his hair...

MRSBB
04-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Yea Grandpa, I bet your Granny is really happy with this painting. Looks like your Grandpa brought a lot of joy to his family. Nice tribute and great painting...........Lenore

allanom
04-17-2008, 12:32 AM
As others have said: a very excellent likeness achieved.

And, although in the reference, he appears to be a ruddy-faced man -- and he may very well be -- I would have adjusted the colour to a more natural tone -- see my digital alt.

To bring the shirt away from the chair back, I would simply lighten the top edges of the shirt and darken the chair back.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2008/4031-grandpaX.jpg

FirstMidnightrose
04-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice. You are right about the chair! I struggled with that. The complexion picture was good. He was very ruddy faced. He worked in his yard a lot. He was a rose grower, and named a rose after my Grandmother that is sold in rose catalogs.

Dana Design
04-19-2008, 12:51 PM
What a wonderful portrait! Well done!