PDA

View Full Version : Mountain WIP/Demo

Deborah Secor
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
This is an experiment to see if I can show the progress of a painting demonstration. I started this one last week to help my students see how to begin a painting of mountains. Today I tweaked the composition with a fresh eye.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2008/23609-mountain-demo2.gif

I hope this will show you what I've done. (I need to learn to match the prints better, but I thought I'd show it...) I found the comp was static and so boring. The color will change dramatically. This is only two passes. I used some soft charcoal to indicate shape changes and added some darker areas in the trees, plus playing with the mid-distance land plane.

When I get to the finish I'll shoot another one to show you what comes of it.

Meanwhile, let me know if you like this kind of animation. Does it help?

Deborah

Donna T
04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
You are so high tech, Deborah. This is cool and any kind of WIP or demo from you is always very much appreciated. I like the changes you are making to this, it will be more dramatic. Maybe it's because I'm an "old school" artist but I kind of prefer the usual WIP done in stages so that I can spend time and really study each phase.

Donna

Deborah Secor
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
The old fashioned kind is doable!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2008/23609-DSCN7998.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2008/23609-DSCN8002.JPG

:D

Deborah

Karen Margulis
04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Very cool!!! I like the animation but like Donna also appreciate the old fashioned way so I can study! I love your WIP's and this is going to be another one to learn from!! Thank you for sharing.
Karen

Lisa M
04-16-2008, 05:22 PM
:)Deborah--Can you set the timer on the slideshow? If so, it's just my opinion that the two images would be easier to study and compare if they each held for 5-6 or even 10 seconds (but of course some won't even realize the switcheroo if they tend to rush through the posts). You could just have a prominent directive to wait 6 seconds :) .

Cool changes, too; I like the use of black to clarify those to students especially.

Deborah Secor
04-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I can change the timing of the loop in the future, and I appreciate the advice. I'll take it up with Photoshop next time I'm feeling adventurous! Thanks.

Deborah

Trilby
04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
This is going to be fun to watch. If the transition is slowed down the animation works. You already have established such a rich feel.

Can you tell us how you were able to get the animation this size but small enough in file size?
TJ

Deborah Secor
04-16-2008, 11:55 PM
The magic of Photoshop, TJ. I just searched for 'animation', found the tutorial and followed the steps. Here it needed to be the standard 500x600 pixels, so I resized it to that and it worked... I'm sure there are others who know far better than I how to do this! I just like playing with programs and trying things out.

I'll be happy to make it loop slower, but the reason I did it fast is because I LIKE things to move fast! I can stare into the center of it and let it change and change and change, as I begin to notice what's there and what's different. Next time I'll try to get the pictures to match so it doesn't jump, though.

I'm the kind who always sits in the back of a demo and paces around the room before it's done. For me watching a demo is a little like watching paint dry! Maybe that's why I like to paint fast and keep my demos short. As soon as someone starts to jingle change or move around beind me, I figure everyone's bored to death and so ready to go paint, but they always say they want me to keep going. Just my hastiness, I guess.

Longer loop...coming up sometime.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
04-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Turned out to be easy...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2008/23609-mountain-demo2.gif

I think it's 3 seconds now...

Deborah

mrking
04-17-2008, 01:01 AM
I love animations. :) hehe

The newer version is much stronger in composition. The left now leads the eye more in and blocks the viewer eye out the left. Very nice.

Below is how I see it....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2008/108995-23609-DSCN8002.jpg

Enid Goyers
04-17-2008, 05:48 AM
It really makes quite a difference! Thanks for the effort.
Enid

Colorix
04-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Deborah, this is a great demo. The changes you made are, as you say, much stronger. I had this mental lapse when watching the first quick-blinking animation. I thought the lines indicated the first version, so I puzzled over why you'd weakened the pic... LOL, in fact, it was the other way around.

I like the quicker animation, for the same reasons you do. I'm happy with the old-fashioned still pics for closer study, so I want those too, in addition to the quick one. And the slower animation allows my thinking brain to catch up. So, I prefer all three versions together. (The one I could do without is the slower animation.) Hope this helps.

Deborah Secor
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Mike. That's how I see it too. :) So gllad to know it reads. Now to keep that movement as I finish it.

You're welcome, Enid. Glad to show it.

Charlie, I can see how that would be confusing! Hmmmm, a fellow hasty artist, I take it... :wink2: (in only the most complimentary sense, of course.)

Deborah

IMaybe
04-19-2008, 12:27 AM
I like the new composition becuse it takes us in better. Love your demo's so much. Where I live its very difficult to be taught by really good pastelist! Thank you! I like the mt. In the farther distance, too. I am surounded by Mt's so am very interested in all you do! er, tress could be next! Pines, and evergreens please. Maybe a willow!

*Violet*
04-19-2008, 01:38 AM
cool demo !! ... love it ... i find 'em very informative ... way to go techie, deborah !

Deborah Secor
04-19-2008, 10:58 AM
:lol: "Techie" is hardly the right word for me! I did some more on this one, just on the mountains, but since I'm getting ready to go on my trip I most likely won't have time to shoot any pictures. So, stay tuned....back to this one in mid-May, maybe...

Deborah

*Violet*
04-19-2008, 01:16 PM
well then ... great techie effort !! ... gifs aren't the easiest to do for a non-techie ... safe travels !! ... enjoy .... :)

CindyW
04-20-2008, 04:14 PM
but the reason I did it fast is because I LIKE things to move fast! I can stare into the center of it and let it change and change and change, as I begin to notice what's there and what's different.

This is exactly how I have always viewed my additions to my computer artwork...flipping between versions very fast to see the progress in the areas newly worked into. Perhaps easiest for the artist to view fast than anyone else.

Love that front row of scrubbies scaliing down off to the right. Wanna BE there!

Cindy

maggie latham
04-22-2008, 03:16 PM
This is cool Deborah, but I'm with some of the others and prefer the old fashioned way. I find animation too annoying…but that‘s just me!!:D :D :D

Maggie

NickyW
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Great Demo, well done.