PDA

View Full Version : Just started oil pastel and soft pastel

saralccc
04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Hello!!
I started drawing last year and I love it.
Lately, I have been exploring with colors instead working with only graphite pencils -soft pastel and oil pastel and I love them although they are totally different mediums.
I am having hard time find sources for oil and soft pastel.
I am taking art classes and it's helpful but I would like to use
more hintss from books and DVD.
Any suggestions?

Oh, Can I use an oil painting color shaper for oil pastel? It's hard to blend with fingers or klnex. Any Ideas?

thank you and wish me luck!!

Pat Isaac
04-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the oil pastel forum, Sara. :wave: I moved your thread here so that you would get more feedback.
This is a great place for info about oil pastels as there are many classrooms and demos. You might want to check out this thread.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439023
What you might need to get started. John Elliot's book Oil Pastels for the Serious Beginner is one book that is out now.
What are oil painting shapers?

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Sara..Also wanted to welcome you to the OP forum. Pat has given you some good advice on starting points. If you are new to WetCanvas or OP, you might take a look at the links in my signature line for help in navigating around and getting started in OP.

There is a separate forum for soft pastel you might check for information on that. Also check out the Oil Pastel Studio subforum for various threads that show works in progress, demonstrations, techiques, monthly challenges, weekly sketch threads,e tc. to see what's going on in the community. Many of us are newbies and learners just like you and all you have to do is ask and typically someone will stop by with an answer or point you in the right direction.
Again Welcome and don't be shy about posting some of your OP works. We are always anxious to see how someone else works!!

AnnieA
04-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the OP Forum, sara! :wave: Pat and Bill already offered some good advice.

One other source of info about pastels is the Pastel Journal (http://www.pasteljournal.com). The magazine focuses primarily on soft pastels, but there's an occasional oil pastel article too. There are many advertisements in the book for pastel books, dvds and workshops, and you can find it in larger bookshops such as Barnes & Noble.

Bill Creevy wrote an interesting book that's a favorite of mine called The Pastel Book, which, although it's a little out of date, is great if you are the type of artist who is inclined to experiment - it's inspiring. A selection of a book really depends what kind of work you like to do though.

I hope you'll enjoy your new mediums and post some of your OP work here in the OP Forum.

Art by Anima
04-21-2008, 02:25 PM
If the oil painting shapers you refer to are also called color shapers, you can definitely use them for oil pastels. They work wonderfully for fine details and blending.