GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rock On
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am new here, and wanted to post a painting for consideration. Any comments will be appreciated. Am I on the right road? I was told I would never be good enough to paint water... Does it flow? Thank you..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments are welcome.

kathrynlovespets
04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
who told you that? your parents?
a "friend"?
anyways, the water is the best part of the picture...great color and transparent look..it looks like the turquoise ocean in Destin, FL

billmahler
04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
In additon to Kate's FL beach, this has a look of the Caribbean to it.

I like the painting.

If I had painted it, I'd never have been sure where to place the figure. I think you landed her in a good spot.

I hope we see more of your work.

And yes, you can paint water.

FirstMidnightrose
04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Thank you!!!

FirstMidnightrose
04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I have a website www.recoveryroomartstudio.com (http://www.recoveryroomartstudio.com) I am attempting to turn a hobby into a second career. Your opinions are very appreciated!!!

MRSBB
04-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi. I love the effect you got with the water. I guess some artist are tempermental, but don't ever let a negative critique bother you. I have gotten many of them and most of the people here on Wet Canvas are only trying to help us learn how to do it better. You will find some wonderful artist here. I like the way you have painted your lady, my only suggestion might be a different color suit, but wait and see what others say. Thanks for sharing...........Lenore

tony1
04-16-2008, 08:30 AM
I think you paint water very well. The rest of the painting is very good also. Sometimes people who critique may be biased to their own methods (or if they are not artists painters they like), say of painting water. So if you don't paint water the way they do it, it's wrong. That's why a forum like WC is great you can get a concensus and a variety of comments from people. And for the most part people are trying to judge the piece on it's own merit.

Keep painting and make sure you continue to paint water. I would suggest since you seem to be able to paint water to try different types of water -lakes, streams, water falls. Challenge yourself.

FirstMidnightrose
04-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Thank you all for your comments!!! :clap:

zoropb
04-20-2008, 12:30 AM
The water works no doubt.
May wanna check the horizon line though it seems to lift a bit to our right. This is very slight though. Perhaps a little change in value in that area to help the effect of the land angling away if that was your intention.
Her right arm bends at the elbow a tad unnatural to the right giving the impression her shoulder would have to be out of its socket to bend like that. This is very slight though.
I like the clouds too.

Sergio