PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to you and Wet Canvas!

Adriana Meiss
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
HI, I just wanted to share with you the following:

The organizing committee of the art guild I belong to had asked me to do a demo for the art exhibit and sale we had this past weekend. The art show and sale is something we do twice a year and in the last two years we have included the demos as a way connecting patrons with artists.

I did a pastel demonstration with a pastel underpainting using one of my own photographs. I generally work fast and in a short time I had an audience (this was a real ego bust for me!); people even brought chairs to watch me work in comfort :lol: .

However, what surprised me the most were the many questions coming from other pastelists about the materials I was using. I have a nice traveling pastel box with chunks of pastels of all kinds organized by color and value. One of the questions was how I recognize hard, medium, and soft pastels from each other when they were mixed. I explained that in having the pastels organized this way I learned very fast which was which just by feeling.

Our local store carries only Schmincke, Sennelier, Unison, Rembrands and Nupastels, so there were many pastelists who had not even heard of Mount Vision nor Ludwigs :eek: , I certainly couldn't do without them!

Anyway, I did not finish the painting because for me, the last stages take the longest and it is so easy to ruin something if you rush things. But I left with the feeling that people learned something from me--I even heard several people saying that they will give pastels a try.

I realized that so much I know I owe it to Wet Canvas and its members, so thank you!

BTW, I invited people to join WC

Donna T
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Adriana, I'm glad your demo went so well and people were interested in learning about pastels. I guess a lot of people think of them as chalk and not much more until they see what you can actually do with them. I wish I had been there - I would have taken notes! I'm grateful for all that I learn here too, there's not much action in pastels where I live so I rely on everyone here for my continuing education.

Donna

Deborah Secor
04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I agree! This place is a wealth of information and exchange of ideas... I was just chuckling last night as I looked at a thread and explained to my husband that I was here in New Mexico, talking to a guy in New Zealand about an artist from the UK!

Adriana, sounds like you're a natural to paint and talk simultaneously. Isn't it fun? Are you considering teaching? It's a great way to make a little extra money and promote the medium at the same time. I've been putting on my own classes for 20 years, so if you want some advice let me know! A lot of those other pastelists could benefit from your knowledge and those new to the medium could learn, too!

Deborah

binkie
04-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Adriana,

That's great that your demo was so successful. Congrats!! Yes, WC is a wonderful site. I've learned so much here, having started from total scratch.
How about sharing the painting you did? I'd love to see it.

binkie

Adriana Meiss
04-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

Binkie,
This is the unfinished painting:
392258 I'll try finishing it this week before something else calls my attention. It's funny, I'm not a moody person, but when it comes to painting I work in spurs, so I'm in a high now...

Donna,
I started working in pastels eight years ago, after I went to a show and realized that the 3 paintings I liked the most were all in pastels. Back then there were just a few people working in pastel, but now at least a quarter of the people in the guild I'm in have tried it. But again, most of what I have learned has been from here too. I recently got some U-Art and Richesson papers thanks to some members who mentioned them. Now I'm checking the business section because I need to create my website... This place is full of info for whoever wants to learn.

Beborah,
yes it was fun! I could see myself doing this and enjoying it.
While working I felt there was some pressure to finish but when I realize I was making mistakes, like overworking some areas, I had to tell myself to stop and did so.

Now, about teaching I would love to do it if I knew how. BTW, I teach Spanish to adults and I know I'm good at it, and work hard to be so. But teaching art seems to me would be very different. I would be a little bit afraid of mass producing students :lol:. In the guild shows I can tell which students go to a particular teacher because their work looks alike:eek: . What you do to let your students express themselves? Oh, yes, yes, I want ALL the advice you could give me!

Scottyarthur
04-15-2008, 09:25 PM
I would like to say congrats as well, and the demo it wonderful. I also have learned soooooo much here. I continue to learn every time I am here , Thank you everyone.