PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble April 14 Thru 20

K Taylor-Green
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Happy Monday, everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives. This is where put all non art, other art, funny links, family stories, and other tidbits about jobs, kids, pets,
happy, sad, you name it!

We got home from Indiana last evening very tired but very satisfied. My Harry passed all the runs he needed to get the first half of his Started title in Hunter Retriever. He has to pass two water retrieves and two land retrieves each day.
There are different judges each day. He pulled it off flawlessly. You would have thought he had been doing this all of his life instead of less than two months. All the other dogs in Started, were around a yr old and Harry is 5!! I'm glad I didn't let his age deter me from starting him in this sport, a sport he was born to excel in. He now has two big rosettes to start his trophy wall!
He will run this over again on Mother's Day weekend and can then claim his Started title. Then, it will be more extensive training to get him ready for the Seasoned division.
I took lots of pictures. I'll add some when I get them downloaded.

CM Neidhofer
04-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Has anyone seen or heard from Piper around here lately? We did that link exchange a while back with several of the members here. I have a link to her website on my blog, but I just tried to go there and her site can't be found. That's when I realized I hadn't seen any messages here from her in a while either. I know people come and go here. I have also. Just wondering....

Christine

Deborah Secor
04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I posted this in last week's scumble... <smacking head> Forgot it's MONDAY! LOL

Just wanted to share the funniest photo of my son ever! This was taken last year at summer camp where he is a leader for the mid-high kids at our church. Let's just say that he isn't a morning person...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2008/23609-P1030381.jpg

:lol: Send your kid to summer camp with friendly, happy leaders that will spark their joy! Not. Yoicks--if looks could kill..... He's actually a nice guy and he loves the kids (as long as he's had coffee.)

Still have a cold, obviously, but I'm better. Improving, let's say.
Deborah

IdahoHat
04-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Congratulations to Harry for being such a great dog! :clap:

Deb - it doesn't look any of those kids are morning people - that's all right, for about 10 PM they will all come alive! Cute kid you've got there.

This is the week of our Artists Showcase here in Coeur d'Alene - the Purchase Patron reception starts it out on Thrusday eveningl, during which I will do a demo. I have everything framed, lack hanging wires on the back of four of them. Also, have to revise and print out my brochure and print out some business cards. My daughter is treating me and my daughter-in-law to a spa treatment this afternoon which may take some of my butterflies away. Does anyone else get all knotted up before a show like this? :confused:

Blessings for your week to all of you.

IdahoHat
04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Just realized I didn't proof any of that. What's going on with my typing anyway? Eek.

Deborah Secor
04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I could read it, Hat... You are so right, the kids are far more likely to bounce late than early! I hope your opening goes well, and the spa soothes any frazzled nerves. I used to get nervous at shows, too. It's actually nice to have a sense of pleasant expectation. Let us know how your demo goes--have FUN!

Kate, congratulations on Harry's success. (Now if only kids would be so obedient!) Looking forward to some more pix of him. He's very handsome.

Christine, have you checked on Piper by looking up her posts? That's one way to see where folks are or have been. I haven't seen her here in a long time, it's true.

Okay, back to the article. It's so nice to just slip over here and visit with you, but I'm on a tether since we leave in a week! This cold has sure set me back. Oh well, less time to be nervous. I'll tell you about that as soon as I can....

Deborah

Dot Hoffman
04-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Kate, congratulations re. Harry.
Deborah, I hope you have a safe trip and a wonderful time!!

We got a contract on the house in less than a month. Now we wait to hear if the price will appraise out, and if the inspections and financing go through for the buyer. Our own appraiser friend said that home prices have dropped in our area, and here the financial institutions cannot hire their own appraisers, but get them from a pool, and then the appraisals are reviewed by underwriters to make sure they are not unjustifiably high. We got a good price, so now we wait and see if it all goes through. Another house in our subdivision went on the market yesterday, at $111 a square foot. If that is a comp to ours, we're sunk, because then our house would appraise out at $20000 less than we paid for it five years ago and before we put $40000 in upgrades into it. It must be a desperation sale; nobody has priced their homes that low around here. Ours is priced at the county's assessed value. Grrrrr..........why don't people realize how they are hurting the neighborhood when they do that???

Well, now that I have that off my chest, I guess I'll go call movers to come out and give us estimates.

chewie
04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
i feel for you dot, we are on the other end of that sort of mess. we are still doing scads of paperwork for getting our house. its a very modest, simple house, but since we are going thru the 1st time homebuyer program (read:government!) there is so much paperowrk i can see why many in our area just get a double wide and be done with it all. we already own the land and the house is coming from another program, so the paperwork is all doing with the basement and a small mud porch! (the houses are reg. stick-built homes, but built by the prison...gives them a skill for after their term and gives ppl a way to buy a well built house for about wholesale of materials) its just unreal what they are putting us thru! seems when we get done jumping thru one 'hoop', they put 2 more in front of us! i wish you all the best, and i sure feel for you!!!

we had a blizzard over the weekend, no power for about 20 hours. now, its almost 80 but with wind gusts up to 40mph. we did ok without power but it did point out how poorly prepared we are! so that is something i am working on, nothing big tho. i had thoughts of taking my plein air umbrella out tho., seeing how sturdy is really is!! :p

getting ready to have a new goat baby--my very nice young doe should kid any time, but prolly closer to end of month. she's getting so big, and she's a small doe, so she walks so funny! and my baby buck is now feeling 'frisky', and i hope to get one of my older does bred soon. of course, the one in heat is NOT the one i want bred first! ugh! i get almost 3 gals of milk a day, have perfected some of the cheeses i make, gave some to help save a newborn colt whose mother hadn't come into milk yet, and a family from church buys some. made ice cream last week, my gosh, there is seriously NO better ice cream in the world! yumm! my daughters plan to show some of them in 4H this summer too.

gosh, this has gotten away from me, sorry! have a great week all!

K Taylor-Green
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey Deborah, your son reminds me of me! I get up because I have to, but don't function well til after noon!

I can relate to all the house and moving woes. Though we have a house on the other property we will be moving to, we are getting ready to build a combo barn, kennels, and whelping house over there, as well as new fences for the horses. It has always been a rental property for us, but it is time we moved to our own place and put money into building it up. Costly and time consuming. But I have another year til I have to start packing!

Chris, I love hearing about your animals and the new babies, especially since we don't breed horses anymore. Course, we have lots of puppies over the course of a year and they are just too cute!
Whitney is bred and should whelp next month. I am still waiting on Di to cycle. She must know I have a new guy picked out for her. :lol:

scall0way
04-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Deborah, I *love* the picture of your son, :lol:. What a face. Congrats on all the dog news and good luck on both sides of the housing deals. I've also thought about Piper lately and wonder where she is.

Spring is coming here, and spring art classes. I was so upset that the "Experimental Pastel" class I was so looking forward to got canceled due to low enrollment. I'm so sick of figure drawing. I got talked into switching my enrollment into a class called "Expressionism" where I was told students worked on still lifes (still lifes and landscapes are where my heart is). So last night was the first night of class, and we had a *live model*! Grrrrr. The instructor said they had done all still lifes last session, so she was "mixing her class up" a little by having some live models now. Darn, I can't get away from them.

Other than that things are not too bad, and no momentous news.

CM Neidhofer
04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Well now...here's a shocker. Another 5-8" of snow on the way for us mountain folk! Go figure. We are soooooo ready for some nice weather and some major fishing!! :p lol

Christine

Colorix
04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi guys,

Deborah, that pic of the kid is priceless! (Just like me in mornings...)

Christine, gaaah, it is time for flowers and buds bursting, not snow!

The internet has been unconnected from me :-D for 24 hours. We got a new computer, so hubby's been totally absorbed, not noticing when I talk to him. Now it is all set up, and functioning. The monitor is *much* bigger than the old one, so all the pictures here on WC look wonderful! And I got PS Elements, so that is a new thing to learn. Best of all, I will put the old 'puter in my studio (after doing some logistics and rearranging), so i can paint from the screen, not paper, when I do landscapes.

See you,
Charlie

Tressa
04-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi to everone!! Haven't been around as has been a very busy start to the year, but have been painting and doing life!!
Anniversary next weekend so going away for a much needed four day weekend, and my trip to Provence is coming up so quickly!! Leave on May 12th to Amsterdam, then on to Marseilles, and St. Remi for some exciting painting days, and see the sights! I will be there until the 25th, and then to Paris. I can't wait!!
Hope all is well with you all, and I see a lot of new names in here, so more and more pastelists!!
Tres

Merriel
04-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone: Sounds like everyone is happy and full of good news. My computer has been down for a while. I'm wondering if anyone here has a blog that changed computers and email address. I'm unable to get back on mine to edit it and post. Is there another thread for how to do that?

thanks.

merriel

Deborah Secor
04-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Tress and Merriel! Haven't seen either of you in a bit...

Merriel, I guess I'm not sure what you're looking for. Getting a sick computer on its feet is often such a challenge!

Man, I can't believe how far behind my three days in bed with the cold has put me! I'm going to be gone from April 21 to May 9 and have a lot of different plans during that time, so packing is a headache. I also don't know what to take--will it be winter or spring? Here we have 75F finally, that great spring weather, and I feel like I'm going back in time...predictions run to 60-70F with RAIN. Rain? :eek: We don't have that in NM. Here you either run a little faster to dodge the drops when it rains, or just wait for the gusher to move over. Well, this should be interesting! :rolleyes:

Deborah

Colorix
04-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi guys,

Tres, off to Provence? Lucky gal!

I attended a class reunion 'yesternight'. Very peculiar emotions. I've not seen them for 34 years, but as all of us turn 50 this year, they wanted to have all these 'old' ladies and gents to check out how much the others have deteriorated with the decades. :-D All my memories were of teenagers in the 70s... Funny how a handful only had gotten more wrinkles but looked the same, and others were totally unrecognizable. A Michael, who was the cutest boy, well, he had obviously lived a hard life. I also learned that Per had had crush on me in the 5th grade... and I never knew!

Very peculiar how there was still some sort of bond, with these "total strangers". It was rather confusing. I know I'm nowhere near the same person as I was then, and they can't be either, so they are well known strangers. Odd feeling. Was great fun, too. Danced to music from the 70s. :-D

Am sort of taking it easy today... didn't get to bed until 4 am.

Shirl Parker
04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Deborah, I know how you feel about packing. There's a remote chance I might get to take a TWO month trip from south Texas to Alaska and Canada. Imagine that packing - me and my dog.

Shirl Parker
04-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Charlie, my brother, who is a year older but graduated high school the same year I did, told me that next year was our 50th class reunion. I think I went to the 10 year and could hardly remember anyone there, so I can't imagine what would happen with 40 more years passing by.

Piper Ballou
04-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Ha ha ha...here I am....every once in a while I check on the weekly scumble and lo and behold I see my name....sorry it has been so long.

My life has been a little upside down, I have had some health issues, mostly depression and sleep apnea...turns out that I stop breathing when I sleep so often I never got into REM sleep, have that adjusted now with a breathing mask...I feel like I am flying to the moon every night when I wear it.
Also, just went through a divorce that has been in the making for a while. but doing okay now.
and silly me, I decided to work on my master's degree, took two classes, they are just about finished.

I have moved into the desert, live down a dirt road and have a wonderful sunset every night, and have a place for my pastels now....so I will be back....
thanks so much Christy for asking about me...makes me feel wonderful and I do not think I read this week's scumble by accident....

I have missed you all so much....
piper

CM Neidhofer
04-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi Piper! Glad to see you again. There are so many new names and faces here and I was missing some of the old regulars and you were one of them. I know life throws junk at us. I was gone from here for some time also. But it's good to know you're doing fine. I think once we get past all the "woulda,coulda,shoulda's" we manage to keep on going. Thanks for letting me, and us, know you're okay! :thumbsup:

Christine

scall0way
04-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Piper! So glad to see you again. I'm sorry about the divorce, but hope your life is settling down some now, and it would be great to see you around here more often.

Deborah Secor
04-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Glad to see you too, Piper!

Just ducking in fast to wave bye-bye :wave: and mention that when I can manage a few minutes online I'll be around. The motels have hi-speed Internet, but once at my in-laws I think I'll be on a modem... unless there's an internet cafe nearby! I have my art supplies packed--the important stuff--now to go figure out clothing. :rolleyes:

Deborah

Merethe T
04-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Piper!! I'm so happy to see you, I've missed you! Glad to hear you're ok, I've been thinking about you....

Merethe

Merriel
04-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Happy to see your back Piper.

merriel

K Taylor-Green
04-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Hi Piper! We have missed you. Wow, so many life changes for you. Been down the divorce road myself. I know how hard that is.
Sleep apnea. I know one other person who deals with that. He wears a mask, also.
I hope you can find the time to hang with us more often.

Dot Hoffman
04-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Piper, it sounds like your life has been upside down for some time! Glad it's starting to settle down. We're in the midst of a move, and I can't imagine a divorce and taking master's classes on top of it. Wow. You have amazing fortitude:thumbsup: And I'm glad the mask is helping the sleep apnea. I use one too, and it makes a world of difference.

Take care everyone, see you all later in the week :) This week is devoted to getting movers' estimates, inspections, etc.