PDA

View Full Version : My doughter Lara - 1st Acrylic portrait

Josecs
04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-14-2008/120490_Lara_-_Retrato.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-14-2008/120490_Lara_Geral.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-14-2008/120490_Lara_pormenor.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: My doughter Lara - 1st Acrylic portrait
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 27,6X23,6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My first portrait.<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm always unhappy with my backgrounds. <br>Never seems to be suitable. Any suggestions?<br>I put a shadow on her nose while the canvas was up side down and realise now it's wrong. I'll fixe it.<br>Had some difficulties in painting the blond hair. I'm not sure I have the rigth colors. I'm using Vangogh's.<br><br>Please critique, I'd like to improve it.

billmahler
04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Wow, what a cutie Lara is. You are very fortunate to have such a lovely daughter.
How old is she?
You have a good start, but need to work more on the likeness and your valuess.
Check the point where her nose starts to turn up. On the foto, that aligns with the circles under her eyes, but on your pic, it is much lower.
Her eyes are more deeply set in the foto than in the pic.
Check your values. The left side of her face is darker in the foto than in the pic.
There seem to be two sources of light and that complicates things. I might make the light coming from her right more dominant and downplay the source on her left to get more rounding in her face.

lonestar
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
:clap: :clap: you've done a beautiful job, and you should be proud :thumbsup:
and your baby is beautiful as well! what a sweetie!

working with acrylics - you've done a tremendous job in your blending. good job.

i agree with bill.

i've put together a photo for you, in black and white. this is for the values.. so, having said that - here's the photo -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2008/66897-33.jpg

Josecs
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for Your contribution Billmahler. You're right when You say there are two fonts of light. That's because she's seated next to a mirror opposite to a large window in a bathroom.
Tone skin is darker in reality then in the photo, However it doesn't explain everything.
Nobody tells me about the background ? I'd like some suggestions. Please

Josecs
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks Lonestar. I really am a lucky father.
Thanks for the time spend. Looking at the photo and paint side by side show obvious differences. I must say I used two diferent photos, so the hair is not exactly as in the reference.
The photo of the painting was taken at the end of the day, with fue light. I needed to digitaly make it clearer that's why it's so white. But as i said to Billmahler, it doesn't explain everything.
Do You think the background is apropriate? Should it be darker or clearer?

lonestar
04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2008/66897-34.jpg here's another black and white for you. backgrounds are another subject altogether, and well - there are a lot of opinions out there. one way - in this photo, you have a few geometric shapes you 'could' go by, their values also vary. in my opinion..the blue/value you have in the background is competing for attention from her lovely blue eyes. the colors in the background of the photo look to have a blue cast, but to me - it looks more cool white (not white white) and i see a few cool yellows (just a touch of yellow) - hold your photo up to a white piece of paper and maybe you'll see the difference.

tonyjazz
04-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Jose: Your BG has the same colors as her eyes. Darkening the BG would enchance her eyes more. Sometimes in lighting situations you have to use your artistic license to fix some things. Just because the photo shows you something it does not have to be exact. There are 2 points of light on her left cheek that distracts the viewer. Put your finger over those and you will see what I mean. You've gotten good advice here on values. Great start on portraiture......tough stuff btw. Look at some portraits from other painters and the old masters, and see how they handled the BG's, usually a lot darker.....TJ

lonestar
04-14-2008, 11:22 PM
great advice tony! artistic license is great! :):angel:

cjorgensen
04-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Okay, I am not a pro, but this is my input on the background. The background you painted if flat. It's just a nice, blue nothing. In real life, it does not relate to anything. It does not even look like space. In the photo, it looks like she is "somewhere". There is a wall, paneling, light off to one side, etc. Even if you don't want to make the background obvious and realisitc, the photo provides a good source of negative space, colors and values that work well with her lighting. Maybe you could make loose suggestions of a background that is similar to the photo. I hope this helps. I only want to help. :)

Josecs
04-15-2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks again lonestar. The photo is clear and great. I'll definitely retouch this portraiture cause I don't like the feeling, when i look at it, a month later, and see how diferent it could be. But I think it's natural and inevitable. It's part of our skills' grouth.

Josecs
04-15-2008, 05:29 AM
Thanks tonyjazz. I agree BG should be darker but i'm still confused on what sould be the main colour. Should I take the glares on her left cheek of or darken it?

Josecs
04-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Thank You for Your help cjorgensen. I understand what you're trying to say about the BG but don't know if i can make it without atracting to much attention on it.