PDA

View Full Version : Vetrofond glass

BillBrach
07-06-2002, 09:11 PM
This is Vetrofond glass, also from Murano. It is made by ex-employees of Moretti. More pics to follow in the next day or two.

ValorieCox
07-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Beautiful colors! How would you compare this glass to the other soft glasses, (COE, color range, etc)?
Val

BillBrach
07-06-2002, 10:23 PM
Val,

How I came to use this glass is part of the story. My son and daughter-in-law Jean, were in Murano about 6 weeks ago. Jean went into several bead shops, trying to buy me some glass rods. Everybody had the rods, but did not want to sell them. Finally, she went into a shop, ask if they had any rods for sale, and the woman reached in a drawer an brought out a kilo of miscellaneous rods. There wern't but about 10 colors and many rods were misshapen and oval, as it is all hand pulled. Actually, I kinda liked the way they look. It added to the mystique of rods hand carried to me from Italy.

I made a couple of dozen beads out of the black, white, and blue that I had gotten. Stuff was shocky, and boiled very easily. But, I liked it enough to then research it and come to find out that C & R Loo carries it. I ordered 10 pounds of about 20 colors, including a lot of clear, black, and white. Clear does not seem to scum, and is available in 2-3 mm diameter, which melts a lot easier. Black is MUCH denser than Moretti, and cost less than the Moretti black. White is creamy and smooth. AND, the new stuff is not NEARLY as shocky as the stuff Jean got in Italy.

To finally answer you questions, the COE is 104, color range is limited, as an example no reds or oranges. BUT, it costs less than Moretti, and if you order 10 pounds, you get an additional 18% off. AND, the stuff from Loo is very consistent in size and shape.

Overall, I like it, especially the clear, black, and white.

Bill

Mike E etc
07-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Bill, what sizes can you order it in and can you get the clear with out lots of scratches.
Mike, hates scratched rods of clear, E

b2beads
07-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Bill, those colors are wonderful! I'm pretty obsessed with Lauscha right now! I'm so tired of Moretti boiling on me! Yes, I know if I heat it slower, work further out, introduce it to the flame from the next room, blah, blah, blah. But after working with Lauscha, why bother??? OK, now I vented. I do still like a lot of the moretti colors and the variety, price, etc. But man, these Lauscha are great. Now I gotta try Bullseye, Czech,... (And get good at labeling everything!)

B2

mlou
07-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Beth,
You have just got to try the bullseye!! I love the colors and find them more vibrant than Morreti. They are great to deal with and very helpful:) The glass is a little stiffer, requiring some more time and heat. I like that it is made in USA and they give us the best which I suspect is not the case with Morreti. If you get some make certain to get transparnt neo-lavander and the salmon tint-both are awesome. Also, get the Schott clear rods, no scum, no scratches, no bubbles...and you can introduce it in the same room.LOL

I am looking forward to trying some Lauscha, anything I should know?
mlou

BillBrach
07-07-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Mike E etc
Bill, what sizes can you order it in and can you get the clear with out lots of scratches.
Mike, hates scratched rods of clear, E

Mike, the clear is very nice !! I have not seen scratches or scum. Loo lists 8 sizes: 2-3 mm, 3-4, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, 10-11, 14-15 mm. Stuff I got was shipped in one meter lengths. BTW, in my mind, scratches should NOT cause a problem as long as the scratch isn't filled with some sort of gunk. After all, you melt the scratch away, right ?? Scumming, on the other hand, almost has to be impurities in the glass. I have heard from lampworkers that the Moretti glass from 10 or more years ago is WAY different than what is produced today. Maybe it is just not produced as well as it was when the Moretti's owned the factory.

I'd suggest to everyone that you order some Clear, White and Black. As I said, the black IS black. When I pull Moretti Black into, say, 1/16" stringers, it is a purple black. Pull it to smaller than 1/16" and it is REALLY transparent. I have never used the Moretti Super Black, but I suspect that the Vetrofond black is between the regular and super Moretti's.

Bill

cankeep
07-07-2002, 10:53 AM
I second what Mary Lou said about the Bullseye! Love it, but then that's the glass I started making beads with. Their purples are to die for! And I find hollows are easier with Bullseye too, the stiffer glass helps.
I use all kinds of different glass and I'm not very self disciplined at using only one kind in a torch session. I finally started labeling every rod that comes into the shop that isn't Moretti, and even color code my alabaster and opalino Moretti just to prevent any mix ups. I clean all the rods as soon as they come in and dip a little sponge into some glass paint (I'm sure any kind of paint or even colored nailpoilsh would do) and dab a bit on the end of the rods. Not much, just enough to be visible. I also put a drop of the same color on the ends of my stringers in the different glass (except for Moretti) and, while it takes an extra second to do, I can't tell you how many times I've started to pick up a stringer that I thought was Moetti (or Czech or whatever) and realized was actually another glass (because of the dot of color ) just as I was ready to apply it to a bead.
If you work spontaneously like I do the color coding system is a lifesaver! Or should l I say...bead saver!
:p

Modesto
07-07-2002, 11:00 AM
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the post! Your beads are spectacular...rich in color and, the information you provided is highly valued. Maybe I can get a sample from you when I visit:D

I too have become a fan of Bullseye. Stiff but manageable, clear, vibrant colors that don't run, it's cheap, you can slump, fuse and, blow with it. Cheap compatible tube is also available in various colors...and it's made in the USA. However, as you can see from Bills post...there are many options to experiment with and, I haven't tried them all.