GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: saint tropez two
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 20 x 30 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my second watercolor of St.Tropez. <br>After a great salad with chardonnay in a restaurant opposite the waterfront I painted in my first watercolor, I decided to climb the hill to see the citadel and enjoy an overall view. This was quite a task when the path got steeper and the chardonnay did its work. But the view was most rewarding. This had to be painted! I liked the lively foreground and the strong focal point of the belltower against the background of the blue mediterranean and St. Maxime in the distance. <br>The lighthouse on the pier was not there but I put it in because, being a yachtsman, I have a special relationship with these vital and winking beakons bringing you safely home after a long trip at sea.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C&C welcome!

Corby
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Such vibrancy and beauty of color! The lighthouse immediately seemed unnatural and a distraction to me. It is so unlike its surroundings. From your comments I can see why...it is indeed an addition. I feel that the painting would benefit greatly from its absence. Being watercolor I realize making changes of this magnitude cannot be done, perhaps reducing its whiteness and knocking that red back as much as it will go, would make it a more amicable element to the whole.

gaensanger
04-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Beautiful colours on the front.

amsterdamadam
04-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, C.L.Magnuson, the lighthouse was actually hidden behind the church, so is a moved one, but I agree, the values are too strong. I will push it back.
I like your type of comments: compliments and critique well mixed together!
Amsterdamadam

KYRed
04-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Yes, give less attention to the area of the lighthouse. It is a bit too strong in color since it is in a sort of halfway point between the foreground and the background. If you could, you could mute the colors a bit. Over all the colors you chose are wonderful and vibrant. KYRed

dgford
04-14-2008, 08:27 AM
I love the vibrancy in this! For the lighthouse, why not just soften the colour of the "dome" and windows ? --- leave the body white. That will put it nicely more distant.