PDA

View Full Version : Can't Wait to Drive This

gibbs
04-11-2008, 09:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-11-2008/61112_P1020101-web.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-11-2008/61112_mason_commission_-1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Can't Wait to Drive This
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 14x11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting is a commission for a fellow artist. I had trouble with the reference photo because there were no good shadows so I had to make them up. My client likes my painting style and use of color so I tried to keep within my usual style in this painting. I attached the reference photo.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please let me know if there is anything that needs to be corrected. How can I make this better? I notice that the tire rim is not perfectly round. Is it too distracting? All C&C welcome. Thanks!

Corby
04-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Life is full of bent rims of some sort or other, we can live with that, it adds the authenticity of hand work. The painting is quite nicely done. It would have been my personal preference to use the gritty muddy brown background. The mud seems to me to be a good part of the story. It just goes to show that little boys that enjoy playing in the mud, grow up to be big boys who still enjoy playing in the mud with their toys. Inasmuch as it is blue you could easily float a wash of burnt umber in there...hehehe...on the other hand I don't want to be responsible if for some reason you like it not. Practice on a separate sheet of paper first....

you have allowed for digital work up

Here is a demo of what I was recommending:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2008/70790-tire.jpg

gibbs
04-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the advice. With watercolor, mud is all too easy to make - Usually it's bad but in this case it's good. I'll give it a try.

Shybird
04-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Hello
I don't really know much of watercolors so forgive me if what I suggest is something that cannot be implemented. I really like the blues of the piece, especially that nice rich color in the wheel's hubcap. But I also like the ground to the left of the child. You put in colors I would have never thought of ^^:

But when there is so little brown in the rest of the image I don't know that I'd want it on the right side. And I really like those color choices you put elsewhere. Perhaps, instead, can those colors on the left can be pulled more to the right side? The blue of the wheel has such a strong impact that I kind of feel the shadow shouldn't be the same color.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself so well so did this quickly. Sorry I just used the eye dropper tool.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2008/106769-Wheel.jpg

I think painting looks very nice, just in some way I'd like to see that ground on the right not so important as the wheel and child but still stay colorful. At least that is my opinion.

greensyster
04-13-2008, 05:59 AM
You are so good!

I know nothing about water colours being purely an oily specimen myself. BUT (ah ever the BUT) if folk ask for a commission when they have the photograph then it seems to me pretty clear that they dont want a photo they want YOUR interpretation and like Carl demonstrated you the painter brings out the 'atmosphere' that transe4nds the photo. I often wonder that if there had been cameras back 'then' would the great illustrators have produced as they did or would they have arrived at realistic impressionism earlier? For what tis worth - you gave the little laddie a mission in his eye that the photo didn't capture but obviously the Mother sensed - ergo The Commission.

gibbs
04-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I really appreciate another pair of eyes going over my work!!! I can easliy incorporate both the green and the brown - and still keep the values intact. I've sent the grandma a photo of the painting - I hope she loves it!