Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A portrait of my brothers wife.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything.

MRSBB
04-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Another nice one Thomas. My only nit is her right eye, to our left, seems to be over a tad too far. Lenore

Corby
04-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Ah! I have been introduced to a new family member! I enjoy this sense of family that you share in your work Thomas. MRSBB mentioned the eye that is tracking a bit too much. I had some things that are not necessarily wrong but that gave me a first impression that was not correct. I thought initially that the wall behind her was coral colored drapery...then I noticed on the lower left that it had handles and therfore must be a door. That then made more sense for the painting. I have hung paintings over the front of a drapery, even over the front of a book case, but it is not the usual... The painting in the painting is intriguing, the glimpse we get of it...is it one of yours? Nice work Thomas!

cbcarnell
04-13-2008, 12:18 AM
I love her expression! Do think that her right iris (left eye to the viewer) is over a bit too far. Great piece!!!

greensyster
04-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Portrait of a very real person - never easy to capture that! well done :)

The rows on the door and the rows on her jumper seem like to much rowing going on... but I am a sailor so what would I know! lol

And just a comment but this lady obviously has gorgeous high cheek bones but somehow her left cheek bone and its shadowed area dont really reflect that to me. I will go to get my glasses checked tomorrow.

twiggysminis
04-13-2008, 03:06 AM
This is great, you captured a quizzical and amused expression. I love the skintones and softness of her sweater.

azipofwhisky
04-13-2008, 01:50 PM
I think the mouth is a tad bit misaligned. In my eyes it should be moved a bit to
'our' left. As it is of now, it feels like the middle part of the mouth is aligned more
with 'her' left nostril.

But that is just my humble opinion.

charliedawg
04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Nice lively portrait - well done

sunspirit
04-13-2008, 05:26 PM
First, I have to applaud anyone who does portraits. They are not easy and I envy your courage and skill.

I have done only one portarit and I thought I done a pretty good job until my art instructor showed me a trick. Hold the painting in front of a mirror or hold a small mirror and look over your shoulder at it. It is amazing how that change in perspective will allow idiosyncrasies to jump out at you. You'll notice the misalignment of featues, perspective, etc right away.

Incidentally, when I did this with my portrait, I realized that I had one eye practically on the side of the subject's head! Haven't tried a portrait since!