GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Geisha with umbrella
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 16 x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Looking for comments on strengths and weaknesses.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
C&C Welcome

Is the wiring of the umbrella's at the top right of her head too much?

Corby
04-11-2008, 01:02 AM
This is nice Michele, always a pleasing subject. I think you are right to question the umbrella ribs. What a marvelous job you have done establishing the complicated arrangement in the core that allows for the folding. I would leave those bold as you have them. I would put the remaining ribs in full length to the edge of the painting, subtly indicating the fabric/paper between the ribs. make the ribs themselves very subtle, no where near the intensity of the core ribs. Then I would again with great subtlety (but make it a definite statement) I would put a floral or other japanned ornamentation on the fabric so the light appears to flow through it. I would do this all the way around, keeping it more gold on the side where the sun falls more directly. I believe it is going to be quite nice, whatever direction you choose to take.

You have allowed digital suggestions:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2008/70790-Geisha.jpg

diquattrom
04-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look. I like your idea.

MRSBB
04-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi Michele. This is really quite lovely and delicate. I think you have chosen a nice color palette and her face is beautiful. My only nit is the sleeve on our left. It seems like it would flow down like the other side does as she is quite a small lady. Beautiful painting............Lenore

tony1
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
This is done so well Michele. What an expression on her face, just great.

I disagree about the ribs on the umbrella. I find them all too intense and distracting. BUT that's me. I get distracted by shiney objects dangled in from of me. I just keep getting drawn to those ribs and away from that face. I'd like to see them all, both sides, less intense. But you and Corvus I'm sure are correct.

tonyjazz
04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Michele: That face is so beautiful! Wow!

gaensanger
04-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Wonderful piece, good job!

diquattrom
04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Good eye Lenore, I think your right. Tony, I am going to tone them down a bit.

THanks,

diquattrom
04-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Updated with flowers on umbrella. Not sure about them. What do you think?

belbibitt
04-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Beautifully done!

Corby
04-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Di! The flowers should be very pale and unobtrusive, like the white hairpiece that is hanging down by her eye. And the flowers should swirl in a circular pattern following the edge of the unbrella, so they would come across and show on her right side as well...

Swe
04-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I really like the face, looks peaceful.

goby
04-23-2008, 12:16 AM
I also like the face, nicely done,beautiful painting!
Goby