PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall

myconation
04-10-2008, 05:03 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-10-2008/137555_Scannedwaterfall.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Waterfall
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the first painting I had ever attempted. Done with brush and knife. I know it has a lot to be desired, but I do like the energy of the water at the bottom of the falls. Anyway like I said I am new to art and my prefered medium is oil but, but this first attempt is what got me hooked.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Many issues I am sure with this one, but I love the feeling of it....critique as you may. Be honest. I wont cry...

Corby
04-10-2008, 11:05 PM
it does have a great deal of good energy! It has the problem that I often see with acrylic, hard bright color. It is much to intensely blue. I will be the first to admit to a strong preference for oil, but it is good to branch out and come to terms with other media.

MRSBB
04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I like your painting and think you have done a wonderful job on the rocks and conveying the power of the falls, but agree with Mr.C L.M.Tone down the falls to closer resemble the color of the back water and maybe just add a little of the intense blue for highlights. If this is your first painting you can be proud as you did get your message across. Acrylic is fast drying and easy to fix, but maybe you just want to keep this one and paint another one like it with lighters values. Keep painting and posting, it's fun........Lenore

tony1
04-11-2008, 08:49 AM
This is great for a first painting. Your rocks are very well done, I would like to see more of them. The observations made by the others is correct imo the blue is too intense. And in things like water don't be afraid to add other colors. The water reflects what's around, and show what's on the bottom, or if it's churning can stir up a brown bottom, etc. As pointed out the best part of acrylics (also the worst part) is they dry fast. If you don't like the result you can quickly paint over it. One of the greatest things I have learned is to throw in colors that I wouldn't expect to see in a given situation. Sometimes it looks ugly, but other times it works out.

you did achieve the feeling of movement, imo.

you picked a tough subject for a first painting.

Looking forward to more work from you.

myconation
04-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, much appreciated. Yes the blue is very intense on this. I am going to do another like this in oil soon, I will post win started or complete we will see. Talk to you all soon.

ScenicRoute
04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi, I really like this painting. I am impressed that you didn't overwork it, hence retaining a wildness that gives it that energy. I also agree with previous comments. For the darker blue area, it would help if the center of the dark blue water were a different (lighter?) shade so that you get more dimension. Maybe that's where light would hit it most. But otherwise I love the abstractness of the piece. And the rocks rock. -vanOs

tgsloth
04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I guess someone's got to stand up for intense blues and acrylics. I think the point of doing acrylics is to show more decorative and separate color. I do about two or three oil paintings for every acrylic but acrylic really fits for certain subjects. A more subtle and blended treatment of the waterfall would be a good painting but so is yours. I think your painting is in fact, flawless and shockingly good and if you look at many of my other posts, I do look to make some sort of criticism to be of help. I think you've done "just enough" in terms of suggesting the forms of the rocks and movement of the water in a gestural and impressionistic form.

And here's a prediction in that this is your first painting. You got a bit lucky with it. Sometimes a painting just clicks. Some subsequent paintings will not be as good but don't get frustrated. You've got the magic.