GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 1 Little & 5 Big Punkins'
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12X14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is an Aqueous oil painting on "Dream Canvas". The colors are muted in the background to make the figure stand out. What would make this portrait stronger?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What color combinations of paint would make this portrait stonger? Also, what is the best way to mix media into Aqueous Oils to make them easier to apply?

Paintsincolor
04-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I love this ! - it is very tender. The look on the childs face is so innocent. The background above the head has 4 white dots or circular shapes that take away from the image itself. I would delete these or soften them enough so that they do not stand out and the image comes forward.
Also, you may want to photograph the painting straight on so that the frame and such are not showing. I am dizzy looking at the image at the angle it is right now. Try to have the image only in your photographs and nothing else. Who wants to look at a frame anyway-we are wanting to see the painting, right? Look for books to help you photograph your works. It is easier than you think and you will get much better results. Good luck!
Paintsincolor:wave:

kathrynlovespets
04-10-2008, 04:04 PM
his eyes stand out beautifully
it has a sort of magical look about it because of his eyes and hair and the white dots actually..
I think the pumpkins need a little more definition (stronger contrasts) but I think their colors are right on because they arent too saturated and they have bits of blue in them which goes along nicely with the boy and the background

Corby
04-10-2008, 11:29 PM
this is one handsome kid, you have done a beautiful job painting him. I dont however recognize the pumpkins. I thought it was a patchwork quilt, and the white spots are rather eerie, like close encounters of some kind or other...Anyway it is a beautiful painting that I think would be made even more attractive by changing the background to harmonize with the "pumpkin" colors, p[erhaps leaving the blue halo effect that plays up the eyes so nicely. And lastly a slight crop focuses us in on the child.

you have marked allowance for digital suggestions

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2008/70790-pumpkins.jpg

ydreusser
04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks so much for taking time to critique my work. I will make needed changes! ydreusser

pinkpetunia
04-18-2008, 12:08 AM
He's so adorable. I would leave the blue background but get rid of those white whatever they are thingees.

artbywr
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Nicely done. I like all of it.

La_
04-18-2008, 11:46 AM
wonderful job on the child, but indeed the background needs more attention to put it all into context

love the title!

please post your next stages here, i'm so looking forward to the pumpkins jumping in to get their due attention, he's so excited, and you've obviously got some talent with oils!

la