Title: Euclids Chooks
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11X14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
early mo
ing view of repair shop with tractor and chooks.
The attachment of the electric to the building is too dark.
There is a "bloom" on the lettering of the gas tank.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The photo has the usual vagaries that dont fit in, that do not occur in the painting itself. There are however enough similarities to say it is representative.

How is it for an idea?
Does it make sense as realism?
Do you see the underlying idea?
Are Euclids chooks (chickens) misplaced, (out of subject context)?
anything you wish, color /composition/ drawing....

The camera is too "milky" the scanner is a bit dark but gives a better view of whats there:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2008/70790-colorchooks.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2008/70790-graychooks.jpg

MRSBB
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Corvus. I don't think the chickens are out of place as when I was a kid we didn't have fences and they were free roaming. It fact lots of times we had to go check the tall grasses to see where they were nesting. The repairshop and tractor with all the boxes and added stuff, fits right in. My only nit is the man looking out the door, looks like his head is not quite attached to his body. Thanks for the memory..........Lenore

Corby
04-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the comment Lenore, that's how I was thinking about the chickens myself, the man is actually not looking out the door, he is waorking in front of the far window. The light streaming in burns out the edges of the body. That accounts for the appearance of the head that way. There is not quite the diffusion of light in the painting itself. So the extent of "burnout" is not so pronounced.

crazywoman53
04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I love the style of this painting and think the chickens are fine where they are. The one thing I think, in my humble opinion, is that there needs to be a stronger sense of light direction. I'd like to see the chickens more in bright light to set them off from the shade of the building. But the soft lighting you have now creates an old timey mood too.. I love the theme! Gave me a walk down memory lane too.. chickens nesting where they are not supposed to. Nice painting! Christine

bushma'am
04-10-2008, 06:57 PM
A house once a home, but not left alone
Altered to suit the business of the times
Shop below, above is new owner's home
In tough times, count all nickels and dimes.

The new owner was handy with tools
And set up shop so he could fix and trade
Business run with good bartering rules
A few chickens could make a bill paid.

Faye

Corby
04-10-2008, 07:32 PM
crazywoman53 Thanks for looking and commenting! I wish I could have gotten a better photo. In the painting the light flows in obliquely, at an angle past the corner of the building from the right. The light is pronounced on each item it touches with warmth. The chickens are actually a cool lavender with warm yellow light on them casting a lavender green shadow...

Faye That would place us about right! The mid 30's. If this is useful for you feel free!

Corby
04-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I am glad I ran it through the scanner...I will increase the light flow effect!

tgsloth
04-11-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm 4 the chickens. I believe they combine with the tractor to create a focal point and they also anchor a nice diagonal sweep which ends with the telephone poll. The weakest point to my eyes is the treatment of the ground upon which the chickens peck. It looks too smooth and wavy. I feel it should be more granular.

Corby
04-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Hi TG I have tried every method including your own to get a picture of this that reveals it as it is. Despite the wonkey color you have noted a point about the ground that is true. heheh I will give it some grit! Thanks

crazywoman53
04-11-2008, 11:19 AM
I totally understand your frustration with trying to get a comparible photo. It seems they either are darker or change the colors or something. I am sure the original painting is much lighter than what is showing here. However, if the light is coming from the right as I can see you have placed it properly on the outside of the buildings then to me the light inside the building is reading in error. It appears to me it is coming from behind your figure. If the light is coming from the right then that window would not have full light and unless there is a window on the right the room would not be that illuminated.. I might be wrong but I think that is what confused me about your light yesterday.. You can tell I lost sleep over this lol.. I really like the composition and am sure the actual painting shows more of what the photo is denying us.

billmahler
04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
There's a wonderful story unfolding here.

The one thing I think, in my humble opinion, is that there needs to be a stronger sense of light direction.

I'll echo that idea and TG's point about the ground under the chicks. I think they're related.

The light seems to be coming from my upper right and the warmth seems to make it early afternoon.

Getting some more definitive shadows under the chickens might make their area more concrete while setting the light theme more clearly.

The front of the tractor seems to be darker than the hood on my left and I can't square that with the light on the barrels.

After moving around all the little stories in this painting, the eye winds up at the ladder to the barrel, which is perfectly positioned. I might suggest some more definitive shadows under the ladder and a couple of brighter highlights on the ladder to emphasize that portion more.

Finally, the green of those trees in the background is almost as intense as the green under the barrel and in the foreground. Graying those trees down might improve the overall feel.

Corby
04-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Thank you all for the input! I was actually going for very early morning with a very low angle of sunlight. From all of your comments, I see that I have to make some decisions as to the proper flow and focus of the light and make some adjustments in the painting. I see that the light flowing into the interior of the building through the window is too yellow. I need the intensity but cooling the yellow out of it may work...I am going to play up the foreground with contrast. This is what has proven tricky, getting the reflected light on to objects in the shadow....more work! Thanks you again, each one has been a big help in my "seeing"