PDA

View Full Version : School's Out, Unfinished Painting

idcrisis55
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
20" x 16"
Acrylic
Stretched Canvas

Hi Everyone! I haven't posted here in quite some time. I've been working on this painting for the last several days and today have begun placing in the students as they leave the building. This painting is of our old high school that was torn down several years ago. If the painting turns out okay then it will be used on the front of the booklets that will be printed for our 45th class reunion in May. Lots of work still to do so if you see things that need correction and/or improvement, hope you will share that. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2008/15669-DSC06881_WC_500.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm sure it will be fine Ann!
Love your handling of the brickwork in this.
Good light too ...... and my only crit is that side window near the door - but you probably haven't refined that yet! :D

Linee
04-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Ann, I've missed seeing your acrylic works. This is going to turn out fabulous. Maybe you can take a picture of the booklet when it is done.

susme48
04-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow, this is gonna be great!!

idcrisis55
04-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi Maureen and Linda, thanks for the "look see" and comments. You are right Maureen, that window and door aren't finished. :D The brick is actually native rock that has been set like brick. The rock brick was actually more 3-D but for this painting, this will work. Did you notice that back in those days, the girls all wore dresses or skirts. Now talk about dating oneself lol.

Hi Susan, we x-posted. Thanks for looking, I appreciate it! :)

gaykir
04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
What a fun idea! It looks like I could have gone there. Your classmates will love it not doubt! don't forget to add all the rubbish and bits of paper they threw on the ground as they left for the day! ha!

RPut
04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Great work/idea! I almost like the way the figures are now---kinda dreamy and ghosty of days gone by.... Ruthie

rmc
04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
lovely seeing your work again Anne - there has been a lot of thought into this - the composition and the level of detail in the brick work is great for conveying depth. Congratulations - it will be nice to paint alolngside you as your finish this.

skotkendricksr
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
:clap: :thumbsup: Ann you sure are quite an artist, i only dream of painting
like that maybe one day after 20 or so year's my paintings will look like that.
happy painting:) just keep on keeping on:cool:

skotkendricksr
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
well just a note/picture to all to let yall know i'm in the learning stage of painting art . for i cant afford school so this is my schooling for now.
this book is 3 books in one, watercolor,oil & acrylic painting it's huge
all 400 pages of it .:D i gotta lot to learn, anyway here is pic....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2008/119747-book_002.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2008/119747-book_003.jpg

skotkendricksr
04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
OOPS WRONG THREAD I SORRY:rolleyes: im such goofhead.

edtree
04-10-2008, 06:53 AM
:wave: Hi Ann!

WoW! I love this already! Your time and attention to the perspective really shows. Great work too on the bricks and the other textures on the building. It breaks my heart that they tear down the old schools. I'm glad you are preserving at least one in this very special way. I'll be watching as you proceed and look forward to the grand finale! :D

Elizabeth

idcrisis55
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Gayle, hope you weathered well the tremendous storms last night. No sleep here yet as it was like being in a light strob show with constant lightening and thunderboomers. Thanks for looking and oh yeah, the grounds were nice and neat in the photo lol.

Ruth P., I had exactly the same thought as you, ghosts walking the school grounds. May leave a couple in or place ghost like figures near others in rememberance of those that have passed on. That would be a bit eerie though.

Hi Ruth, and thanks a lot for stopping by. the photo had it all mapped out for me even though it wasn't very clear. Going from a photo though to canvas did take a lot of work especially for me as perspective is one of my weaknesses. This painting is definitely helping to make some of that sink in. Painting those windows and getting them halfway correct was and is the biggest challenge so far. Still have to work on the one near the door area.

skotkendricksr, thank you for the kind comments. That looks like a great book and hope you will share how you like it as you begin to work from it. One thing about painting, every day something magical happens and something new or different is learned.

Hi Elizabeth, just came from your roses thread and am going back. Thanks for looking at this painting and taking time to comment. It is sad that sometimes the old is destroyed to make way for the new but we still have a a couple of old native rock buildings left and hope they stay for a good long while.

Thanks everyone that looked and all those that commented. :) Now it is time to get some sleep after a crazy night. My prayers are with those that are in the path of the storm we had last night. It was a doozy.

Breton
04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
This is really nice, Ann, I can't wait to see it finished. You've done a lovely job with the brickwork. Nice!

couturej
04-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Great painting! I agree that the brickwork looks wonderful! Looking forward to an update. :)

LavenderFrost
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Ann, I have missed seeing your work here too. I know this will be great.

idcrisis55
04-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Laurie, Janet, and Michelle! How great of you to stop by and comment. Thanks for the encouragement and welcome. Now if I can get those students painted so they fit in well with the environment.

Katwyld
04-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Good luck Ann, but from what I've seen already, you'll handle it just fine. Beautiful work! I love the building, and you got that perspective nicely. It's a bit of work, but it's worth the little extra when it looks this good.

I have to say, I rather like the 'ghost-ish' look of the students up front that aren't finished... I don't know, something about it appeals to me. But your students that look more done in the background look real good.

Excellent job! Hope you'll stick around for a while before disappearing. I'd love to see more of your work!

idcrisis55
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Kat, thanks for feedback. I appreciate it a lot. I'm usually around Wet C., in the different forums, lurking more than posting these days. I so enjoy seeing everyone's work, it is hard to stay away lol.

lilbelle
04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Ann, what a great job on the bricks! Looking forward to seeing the finish!

Smoker
04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Ann,

I've been substitute teaching in Special Ed. for a few years and considering the time of the year, your painting is a welcome sight. Great job!

Smoker

Fainsbert
04-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Ann,
Besides the brickwork, which is astounding, I love the way you handled the trees and how you painted the grass. I can't wait to see the finished piece. You're so good, you'll probably recognize some of your classmates when you're done. :lol:
Lucie

idcrisis55
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks Lillian, Smoker and Lucie. I appreciate all of your comments.

Smoker, I bet you are counting the days until summer break. :)

loobyteacher
04-10-2008, 11:16 PM
very nice! It is hard to believe they tore such a beautiful building down, but I am glad you are capturing it as you remember it from days gone by. Thanks for sharing

sonita
04-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Ann, I have no doubt that the people in this piece will be as perfect as the rest. Gosh, those bricks are awesome and I love those trees :) If I would even try painting something like that people would probably respond with " I could see why they demolished it" lol. Excited to see the finish :)
Soni

TxAggieDarlin
04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
It was my favorite day of the year or time of day :)...fantastic bricks you did. You really did a great job on this

idcrisis55
04-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Colleen, Soni & TxAggie, thank you all so much for commenting. Below is an update. I paint slow or maybe I should say, I make a lot of mistakes so have to repaint.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2008/15669-DSC06913_640.jpg

edtree
04-12-2008, 06:36 AM
:wave: Hi Ann! I was excited to open this thread and see your recent update! Looking at the different figures and groups of figures kept me in the painting for quite a while. Love the cheerleaders, pom-poms, bobbie-socks and all. The other details are wonderful as well like the books some of them are carrying. You're doing an awesome job - not slow at all either! :D :thumbsup:

Elizabeth

*Violet*
04-12-2008, 07:32 AM
i love this one !! ... the perspective, the figures ... the vegitation, the brickwork ... all very professionally handled !! ... top marks !! ... :thumbsup:

C_Line
04-12-2008, 08:07 AM
This is so nostalgic Ann - well done. I really like the little group of cheerleaders - nice focal point. A lot of detail has gone into this - it will be very appreciated by the alumni no doubt!

idcrisis55
04-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Hi Elizabeth, Violet and Celeste. Thank you for taking a look and your comments. I think the "little people" look a little stiff and cartoonish so hope a few more glazes will improve their look. Three of us began and finished school together and I painted us in as the cheerleaders (which we were.) Hope they get a kick out of that. Now I am going to paint the other three into the crowd somewhere.

idcrisis55
04-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I think I am close to finished. I will look at it for a day or two so if you see anything that could be improved, etc., hope you will let me know. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2008/15669-DSC06932_WC_500.jpg

edtree
04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
:wave: Excellent finish on this Ann! :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

You did an outstanding job on the painting and the finishing touches. I didn't see anything anywhere that needs to be tweaked. Love the soft dappled light and the shadow of the figure going up the steps. The building is perfect. Very good suggestion of a crowd of students in the background and the fore figures are wonderful. You should be well pleased with this - I'm sure it will be a hit at your reunion (will you be taking the original?) and will look fantastic as a cover page for the booklets! What a treasure this will be for your classmates!:D

Elizabeth

idcrisis55
04-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for looking again Elizabeth, and your comments. :)

gaykir
04-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Ann - I agree this came out very well! ( I still say there must have been some litter at your school!) I think you should auction the painting at your reunion and a) give the proceeds to charity or b) add the monay to the next reunion fund. At any rate what a wonderful job especially since the school no longer exists in this form. Your classmates have got to love seeing the old school which is full of memories for all of you!

*Violet*
04-14-2008, 12:34 AM
with just about everything so wonderfully detailed i wonder about that little window near the door ... is it me or does it look a bit slanted? ...

idcrisis55
04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Gayle and Violet. I don't think it is your eyes, Violet. A minor correction to straighten the edge is needed, I would say. :D Gayle, we may have prints available for the alumni to purchase, with proceeds going to the 50 year reunion fund. The original painting belongs to my twin.

Katwyld
04-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Ann, this turned out just fantastic! Everyone collecting in groups, the trees, the shadows on the stairs... it's all the little bits that make it wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

debee
04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
This is lovely. Very nice work on the brick face of the building.

LavenderFrost
04-14-2008, 10:55 AM
It's wonderful Ann!

idcrisis55
04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks Kat, Debbie and Michelle! I appreciate your looking and your comments. :) I messed with it a bit more and applied matte medium but it is signed now and on its way to get a frame picked out for it. Next step is to get it varnished. :)

gaykir
04-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh my God! There's two fo you?? Don't tell me she paints also! He! He!

idcrisis55
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM
lol, no she doesn't paint. A couple of my grandchildren do or did, as well as three or four grand nieces and nephews that do. It is fun to watch them on their art journey.

SandyB63
04-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Ann,
That looks like the old high school at Stilwell, Oklahoma. I attended there later when it was Flaming Rainbow University. It may not be, but with the dome gym in the back, it sure looks like it. Very good job.

idcrisis55
04-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Sandy, you are so right, it is the old Stilwell High School and later Flaming Rainbow University. I have some great memories of that place and hope you do too. That is great that you recognized it from the painting. :D

Linee
04-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Look great, Ann! I love all the dashes of color of the clothes. And the grass is such a nice green. Great surroundings for your school, which is also painted so very nicely.

Lulu
04-14-2008, 04:48 PM
wow what a huge undertaking Ann!! great finish!

idcrisis55
04-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Linda and Lulu, thanks for taking a peek at this and your comments. :)

~~Kathleen
04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I can see the School Division wanting to purchase this painting.
The building has so much more character than many that are being built today!
Wonderful job Ann.
~~Kathleen

rmc
04-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Wonderful work Ann!!! What a lucky twin to get this great memory of your school days - the school must be thrilled with this - let us know!

idcrisis55
04-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi Kathleen and Ruth! First, thanks for checking out the painting and your comments. :) Kathleen, the painting is a gift for my twin, (one she requested) so the only way anyone in the School District would see it is if they visit her house or see one of the class reunion booklets. Good thought though. :)