PDA

View Full Version : one hundred stories

Chia
04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-08-2008/137335_100_stories1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: one hundred stories
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 30 x 30 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've been working on this one on and off for a couple of months. I have no idea if it's finished or whether it works as is. I was going for mostly monochrome colours with a bit of tension created by the subject matter. It's a scene in a shabby old hotel room.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I was thinking of adding another element (a piece of crumpled paper) to enhance the story, but I wonder if I've already confused the eye enough. I've certainly confused myself! Thanks for any and all comments.

Corby
04-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I do not see a reflection of confusion in it, you have handled the tricky lighting quite well. The color is delightful! To me it needs something that says "motel" room. The suitcases in themselves do not point to that strongly enough...?

MRSBB
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi Chia. I also like this composition and your idea of a crumpled paper might work. How about a bus ticket or plane ticket on the arm of the chair. Just a thought........Lenore

KYRed
04-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Hi. I enjoy this painting very much. I like it as it looks sort of 50's to me. A crumpled piece of paper would work well in this as I have already decided there is a story in this painting. A crumpled goodbye note from a now exlover would look good on the floor next to the chair on the right as seen by the viewer. Of course, I might be the only one to understand this bit of paper, now that I have made a story about what this painting shows. Kudos to you for this very interesting and thought inspiring painting. KYRed :clap:

Chia
04-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Wow - great food for thought here. Corby, you have me thinking about how I can make the room more "hotel-like". I'm thinking about changing the blinds to sheer curtains with an old hotel sign outside. Or possibly a "room rates" sign on the wall? A bus ticket would work well too as I'm pretty sure this guest travelled by bus... thanks Lenore. And KYRed - I think you read my mind re. the crumpled paper. I do picture this scene in the 50's and I thought he may have just received a "Dear John" letter. I wanted the scene to have an air of melancholy. Thanks to all - you've re-ignited my enthusiasm for this piece again!

thomas w
04-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Great stlye. Only the little peach pillow stands out a bit to much.
Thomas W

Chia
04-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I wondered about that. Thanks Thomas, I'll tone it down a bit.
Coralie

Fagan
04-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I personally like the pillow like it is. The color is repeated in the suitcase. Although....at first before I read what you wanted to convey....I thought this was where someone told stories to young children. *LOL* Like a father and child scene....or mom and child

Spyderbabe
04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
To me the empty chair says it all. Hotel or apartment someone is leaving. Its a great narrative piece. You could give more specifics but I'm not sure they are needed at all. (To me old hotel = neon signs) You could bring down the lights and we'll all be totally depressed.

aspybey
04-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Well before reading the comments I thought this reminded me of my Grandfather's chair where he would smoke his cigar and read the paper when I was a young child, which coincides with a 50's motif that many people commented on. I like the suitcases, where has he been lately? In his life? What kinds of stories does this old man have inside of him?

I really like it, the way you have, it evokes a lot of emotion and is painted beautifully.

twiggysminis
04-10-2008, 09:31 AM
This is such an interesting picture I think it would spoil it to start making things too obvious. It looks finished and whilst it's personal taste I prefer a picture to have unanswered questions - just a touch of mystery.

Steve01
04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Beautiful. Makes me think of Edward Hopper. I like the colors of that lonely chair. Yea!!! I just made my first post.

Chia
04-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Well thank you all for commenting. I'm thrilled with the feedback. All the different takes on this painting have been enlightening and I love that everyone read different things. I've decided that it's not important what the narrative is, so long as people understand that there is a story here. In fact that's the thought that inspired my title. I think I've decided to leave well enough alone. And Steve, congratulations on your first post!

ihsan
04-11-2008, 03:32 AM
You seem quite much expreienced and talented on light and shadows. Colors and tones are adjusted very accurately.Nice work..