PDA

View Full Version : Best way to pack a pastel drawingfor shipping?

Troo
04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi there

I'm a newbie when it comes to the art business. I've recenly gotten an enquiry from a buyer that is interested in one of my pastel drawings. The buyer has asked if I've fixed my drawing as she's worried it will get damaged in the process of shipping.

I did fix the drawing when I finished it, but when I ran my finger over it... whoaaa.... off came some pastel dust. I fixed the drawing as I worked in the various layers, and the last layer got a more 'gentle' coat of fixative.
So, should I go out and get better fixative??? (The last time I did a pastel drawing was about 15 years ago and the top layer of that one is still stable, I can run my finger over it and not pick up pastel dust - as I've only recently gotten back into fine art, I've lost touch with what are the best ways to do stuff..) or is this the norm with pastels??

And what is the best way to pack a pastel drawing for shipping? In a core or flat??

Diane Cutter
04-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Troo... Welcome to Wet Canvas and congratulations on a sale. I'm going to move this over to the soft pastel forum because I know they have lots of good advice on shipping of pastels...

Diane
Moderator - Business forums

Eclectic_Asylum
04-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Flat is definitely the best way to ship.

I use foamcore to build a shipping container. Two 1/2 inch thick sheets and strips of thinner foamcore cut 1 inch wide. I border the bottom sheet with the thin strips so when the top sheet goes on it creates a sandwich with an open space in the middle.

I tape the edges of the work to the bottom layer of the sandwich in the open space. I always leave extra paper around the border of the work so the tape never is on a finished area.

This works well and nothing ever touches the surface of the work. I also lightly apply some Sennelier Latour fixative just to give a little static so dust won't shake off in shipping. The half inch foamcore hold up well in shipping on smaller sized pieces. With larger pieces I will make a container using thinner foamcore them box it in a cardboard box with bubble wrap as insulation.

I have shipped with just two pieces of foamcore (no open space) with mixed results. I've had a 1/4 foamcore sandwich get bent in shipping...it was a small piece 11x14 and it creased the paper and smeared the pastel all over. I've also had problems when just using a sandwich without spacing where there is no apparent damage to the outside but obviously something heavy was pressed against it and some of the pastel lifted and smudged a little.

chewie
04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
i am getting ready today yet, to ship a framed (with glass) painting to another state. i will use some luan board to make a sandwich of board, paitning, board. then i will bubble wrap it, and slip this into a large plastic bag. then, having a box the right size ready, i will use spray insulation foam on the bottom, put the painting package in right away so the foam forms around the painting in a perfect fit....therefore elimenating ANY shifting or rattling of the painting within the box. more packing around it, seal and fragile ont he box (which i am not sure even is worth the time, but seems like the thing to do!) and away it'll go. i also put a bit of tape criss-crossed on the glass in case it does break, the shards won't destroy the painting.

Snowbound
04-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I take it you are shipping the painting unframed. If you've matted it, you can tape a piece of glassine over the painting but under the top mat. If not already matted, simply tape it with architects tape to a matboard. Place glassine over the painting, also taped firmly in place. This will protect the surface of your painting. On top put another piece of matboard the same size as the first, and tape the edges together using packing tape. Then place that between two larger pieces of cardboard and also tape. Corners can be reinforced with cardboard squares if you feel it needs it. Wrap this "sandwich" in bubble wrap and place in a sturdy shipping box, with extra padding if needed. It will ship safely this way (but always insure!).

Dayle Ann