PDA

View Full Version : pastel pencils

zedek
04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
what pastel pencils do you recommend? I've tried stabillo but the black I bought doesn't match the black soft pastel I have. What shades of grey do you recommend also?:wink2:

Seveer
04-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I have a nice set of Derwents that I really like alot...I also have a set of Rembrandts whose colors I like but I find them to be too soft, hard to sharpen and I am rather heavy handed so they break often.

greyart
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I have a large set of Stabillo and you'r right, the black is not as dark as my sticks. I ordered a single Derwent black and like it better. It's a larger pencil and seems to be darker. The greys I have are from the Stabillo set.

chewie
04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
for a black like what you are saying, i use a nupastel and sharpen it. i have never found a pencil to be as pigment loaded as pastel sticks. you might also try a 9B charcoal pencil, they go well with pastel and can be sharpened well.

BruceF
04-10-2008, 06:27 PM
For pure black I often use soft vine charcoal.

For pastel pencils I have found Pitt to be my favorites. I just went to the store and just tried them out, bought a few different brands of open stock that I liked and then tried them out more at home.

Sharpening the pencils can be a bit of a problem. I use a boxcutter to shape the point.

Holley
04-11-2008, 04:03 AM
I like to use CarbOthellos and Faber Castell Pitt pastel pencils. I have some derwents too but I only really use the black one. The CarbOthello's are really nice but the pastels tend to break easily in some of the pencils which can be frustrating. The Faber Castells are a bit more hardy. I wish I could buy the Faber Castell's individually to stock up on the greys as I feel they have a better selection than the Carbo's. I don't use white pastels, instead I use Generals Charcoal white. I always sharpen with a metal sharpener and if I want an ultra fine tip I just sharpen the pastel tip itself on the blade, it doesn't chew up the pencil as quick :)

zedek
04-11-2008, 04:02 PM
thanks, are the "cold grays" actually shades of gray or do they have a hint of blue in them? Whats the difference between "warm grey" and "cold grey"? Also, are nu pastels difficult to blend?