PDA

View Full Version : Sheet glass storage

vysh
04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi,

Can you guy's tell me the best way to store sheet glass?
Thanks in advance.
Vysh

Dragonfly Queen
04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Vysh,
Upright on edge, never flat. I have a couple of things I store my glass in. One is an old wooden crate with dividers of wood, I slide the sheets of glass upright on edge in the slots. I'm at work otherwise I would take a picture for you. Sorry if this doesn't help, let me know if you want more detail.

Inez

vysh
04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
hi Inez,

Thanks for your suggestion. It would be great if you could post pics and also let me know where i can get the carates!
Thanks.
vys

glassgypsy
04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi ivysh:

My sheet glass is stored in racks that I built myself from wood. As stated earlier, store glass on edge. Suggest you go to your local stained glass store to see first hand how they store their glass. If you are storing full sheets, possibly, they might be willing to sell, or give you some of their old cases.

peace,
jim :)

starlightdesigns
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I use metal file racks I got from Wal-mart, in the office supply section.

MaureenKennedy
04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
I have ALOT of stained glass. The smaller sheets 10x10 I store in smaller bookcase, a bit larger than that I store standing upright in just a cardboard box, larger than that 2-3 feet x 2-3 feet I just stand upright leaning against wall. Laying down SG can crack glass underneath it from weight.

shubba
04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
You might look at the Dollar store for plate draining racks. I found one that would work great for that. I know they sell a similar rack at glass store that store glass in the same way.

Sharon

richsantaclaus
04-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't use or have sheet glass BUT when I see it at stores, it is ALWAYS stored on edge and never flat. I hope this helps?

Alan Cross
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Always safer on edge....you can just lean them against a wall if you don't have many sheets.
Alan