PDA

View Full Version : it could have been a pastel

jackiesimmonds
04-08-2008, 03:37 AM
It is interesting how you can learn from one medium and apply what you know to another - so much so that one's style of painting feeds from one to the other. If you would like to bother, you might like to see this huge acrylic painting I did recently, as a gift for my brother who has recently refurbished a house in Israel and wanted a striking image for his biggest wall. I was forced to change to this medium, because a) he had to take it on a plane out there and b) it had to be at least 5' wide.

What struck me when I photographed it, is that it would have worked well as a pastel too, it even looks like a pastel when reduced to small for WC:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6700013&posted=1#post6700013

Deborah Secor
04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
That's a wonderful painting, Jackie, and yes, it does look like pastel here... I know what you mean about media feeding into each other. I can't tell you how often I interview people for The Pastel Journal and hear about oils, acylics, watercolors or whatever, as they explain just what you've said. In a way I think it's because pastel is 'every-medium'. My theory is that because our sticks are made from the same stuff paint is made of, yet retain the essential quality of pigment without the paint part of it, pastel compliments every other medium! Artist's don't switch off the pastel part of the brain to access any other part, in fact the medium is so versatile you can think into it from all the others and vice versa.

Neat thought, that. What do the rest of you think?

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Deborah, remember you introducing me to Albert Handell at IAPS? - something he said to me has stuck to me ever since.

I told him that I thought his pastel DVD was so very helpful to me and he asked if I had his oil DVD and I replied that I hadn't thought about purchasing it as I only work in pastels. His remark to me was to view the oil painting DVD and what he does in oils can be applied to pastels also.

Guess what, I've tried my first oil painting last week. Now on a search for his oil painting DVD on ebay. And I did apply what I have learned in doing pastels very easily to this oil painting - layer, layer, layer. What I don't care for is the wait time and the color mixing problems I am encountering.

I'm going to move this over to Pastel Talk to encourage replies as to how the other mediums they use apply to pastels.

maw-t
04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
What a beautiful painting!! Your Bro is fortunate indeed to have such a taleneted SIS!!

I had oil painted many years ago... I have found what I had learned in oil painting helped alot when I started back painting again.. using pastels this time. Getting use to the different "feel" is what takes time. Basically the principles & theories are the same in either medium. Personally I miss the "mixing" of colors prior to apllying, but use the knowledge I gained in oils to help me know colors to mix ON the paper.... I feel if you can paint.... you can paint, no matter the medium or the level of expertize. Yes, it takes time to adjust to different mediums and their uniqueness & techniques, but this can also apply in each individual medium. Such as underpainting or no underpainting.. the list is endless.. Soooooo much to learn!!!

IdahoHat
04-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Jackie - What a wonderful painting! I absolutely love it. Oil and pastel are my favorites. After my oil workshop with Linda Besse, I am so motivated, but I do switch back and forth a lot.

M Douglas
04-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I recently did my first acrylic painting in 5 years, I haven't touched them since I did my first pastel. I found that because of the things i've learned by using pastels that i've completely changed my way of painting. Regardless of which medium I use I think my paintings still look pretty much the same.

Melodie