PDA

View Full Version : Psychedelic Pear w/ Pastel Pencils-Markers

chatfieldstudios
04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't often get over to this forum, as my work is usually colored pencil. But I have been experimenting with Ampersand pastelbord and ink markers as an underpainting for colored pencil.

This underpainting got way out of hand and in order to cover it, I resorted to my pastel pencils. It was great fun to be loose and free, my work is usually very realistic.

The first pic is the underpainting, the second is the finished pastel, and the third is the grayscale of the finished piece. I always think it's so interesting to see the value of color:thumbsup:

I watched a special on Vincent Van Gogh this afternoon, maybe that inspired me..I'd really like to keep both my ears though!

Comments welcome:)

M Douglas
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the dusty side!! You've done a great Job!! I love the bright funky colors. It looks like you had fun doing it.

Melodie

1painter42
04-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Pretty drastic measures to have to "resort" to use your pastels! :lol:
this is an extremely exciting, energetic painting. I really like being able to see your underpainting to start, really interesting in itself.

maw-t
04-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I like alot!! The underpainting makes a very nice piece,, but I do love the marks of pastel on the 2nd foto.. Yes, you may keep the ear and still be allowed to posts some more:)) Welcome!!

chatfieldstudios
04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Thank you Melodie...I did have a great time!

Thank you Painter...I'm pleased that you find it energetic and exciting, that's what I was hoping for.

Thank you Maw-T! I appreciate the nice welcome and kind remarks!

Colorix
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Thank you for showing the underpainting! It is always so exciting to see how the process is begun. And the result is very fine, I backed up a bit and watched the strokes melt together and saw the great sense of light you've caught! Keep them coming, will you?

chatfieldstudios
04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the underpainting Charlie! I hope to do more of these, thanks for your nice remarks.:)