PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bottle with White Vase Still Life

jjwoodee
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-07-2008/45866_WhitevaseandBlueBottleWeb.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Blue and White Vase bottle Still Life
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Looking for feedback and suggestions.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
xx

Corby
04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
how very fresh and creative!!! LoOVE iT! That foreground run of table cover is marvelous. The color combinations are so emphatic in their harmony and then that "splop" of orange! My one thing is that I cannot make up my mind if the orange color is a small gourd, pumpkin, or pepper...really doesn't matter. wonderful painting.

tgsloth
04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
It's beautifully and confidently painted but I have a compositional criticism. The very bright white stripes which are such a distinctive feature are, IMO, too bright. They pull the eyes downward away from what should be the COI. So...I suggest you could keep the stripe motif but match more the values in the green cloth.

jjwoodee
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Oops - I posted the original without using levels in photoshop to get a more accurate color match. I'll go back and look through my value finder to tone down the stripes. I don't want them to be the center of attention but rather lead the viewer to the COI.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2008/45866-WhitevaseandBlueBottleWeb.jpg

jjwoodee
04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks C.L. , your comments are very much appreciated. The orange color is a small squash(used to be green but turned orange.)

Spyderbabe
04-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Its a refreshing comp and palette. Nice! Two things about the beautifully glazed vase.....I'm wondering if the elipse on top really that wide around? the collar it sits on doesnt seem right compared to it. And it seems too close to the blue vase.

jjwoodee
04-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks Kathleen - I'll take a closer look...

Barbie Bud
04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I like it, interesting composition. The only thing that doesn't look right to me is the gourd or pumpkin, Might look better if we weren't looking at the top. Just a thought. Barb

freeskier89
04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I really really like this. The orange thing just makes it superb! :clap:

KYRed
04-09-2008, 12:36 AM
The vertical stripes weren't the first thing that drew my attention. It was the orange object. How delightful it is with its rigidity. Is is plant, is it man made? Then came the stripes and they took me to the center vase. Then I checked out the vases on the left and right and went back to the orange object and the whole thing started over again. How much fun this was to view! KYRed