PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble April 7 Thru 13

K Taylor-Green
04-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Happy monday, everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

We have finally had some glorious Spring weather! Rain is back in the forecast the middle of the week, so I am really enjoying these mild few days.

We had another training day on Saturday, and I got to handle my dog myself! Jess is so jealous.:D I got to send Harry on three water retrieves. I fumbled a bit on the commands the first time, but improved after that. It is a testament to my dogs intelligence and my trainer's skill that Harry didn't fumble with me! He likes to lean on me when he is in the sit position, so I was soaked from the knees on down! I didn't even mind.

How is everyone's week shaping up, so far?

bnoonan
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi there,
Well I'm glad someone is having spring. The ol' Pacific Northwest is in dark gray skies which makes fruit tree blossoms look more saturated but it's sure uninspiring. I miss the sun and more of it.

Busy week for this pastel gal. I'm preparing for a show in a Paducah Gallery in May and trying to balance in the volunteer projects for our local arts organization. All-in-all I'm onto the business end of the art this week and less of the fun and play portion.

Wish you all good weather and beautiful magnolia blossoms. This was taken yesterday in our Arboretum.

Barb:wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2008/13264-mags.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh, look at those glorious magnolia blossoms. No spring here yet, so it is nice to here of some in other places. Good luck with your shows, Barb. I am preparing for my first one man show in July and August.
Great time with Harry, Kate. Sorry you got all wet!:lol:

Pat

nvcricket
04-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Barb and Pat- - - - Good luck with your shows - - - I hope you sell, sell, sell.

Kate-what joy that you are getting from your dogs. It's so cool you get to play/train your dogs working with their natural talents.

I'm going through pastel withdrawal. My easel broke. I would normally not have a problem getting another, but with the 600.00 cell bill my teens knocked up with forbidden text messages............easel is on backburner. grrrr.........just got the bill. So I am happily wasting my time cleaning and sorting my pastels to value.

Have a great week !

Carol

bnoonan
04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh Carol - I'm so sorry to hear about your easel and more sorry to hear about the reason you can't replace it. That has got to be frustrating.

I ended up calling my cell phone company and having them remove the "text message" service all together. Mind you it was only me with the phone, but lots of friends who thought I had free service there.

Hi Pat - don't worry - those blossoms will be coming soon enough. Congrats on the shows in July and August. Since I may be back east then you better provide me details. If I miss it - I can always send friends/family.

Kate - sorry - I was in such a rush the day I posted my photo (oh and excited about the image) that I totally didn't remark to your dogs. (I'm truly sorry about being self-engrossed and rude).:o

I have to admit I do watch the dog shows on TV but never attended a show in person. It looks easy from a couch viewer's stand point but I guess that's the sign of a good handler - someone who has that much control with the dog and can make it look like the dog is the happiest individual on earth running the stadium. Glad you were apart of it. I imagine the bonding portion is part of the joy of raising them.

From one dog lover to another - I'm jealous. We don't have the space or ability to have a dog in our condo... but I sure say hello to all of them as I walk by on the street. Enjoy those licks for me!!!

Barb

Ps: I'm off to meetings for our local women arts group all day. I've been away from my easel too many days now - having withdrawals. All that said... I'm not ready to clean like Carol.:lol:

K Taylor-Green
04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Gosh Carol, $600!! I don't know what I would have done to mine. When mine were teens we didn't have cell phones!

Aw Barb, that's ok! Only, we don't do the show ring, we do hunt tests. These are simulated hunts where the dog is tested on his retriever skills, obedience, and handling skills. They are great fun! I'm not sure I have the patience for the politics of the show ring, though I love watching them on TV. A friend of mine shows her Labs, and loves it. But she gets tired of the politics and backbiting, also.

I'm on grandma duty, today. The kids are playing various computer games as I am on my laptop! Electronics and art rule around here. They spent the morning making greeting cards.

Pat Isaac
04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
:eek: Carol......that must be hard. Have fun cleaning.
Thanks, Barb. I'll definitely let you know the details and it would be great to see you if you get east!:D
I'm sure the blossoms will be popping soon...I also have been attending art meetings....ugh...over for awhile now.
I'm going away to upper state NY for the weekend. See you all on Monday.

Pat

CM Neidhofer
04-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Another snow storm just beginning here in Colorado....sigh....:p I am ready for some warm weather!! Last year it snowed one last time in May, so I'm guessing this isn't the last of it. They're saying up to a foot by tomorrow night. :( :(

Christine

K Taylor-Green
04-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Holy cow, Christine! I'm not sure I could handle that much snow on a regular basis. Bring on the sun!

IdahoHat
04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Hello everybody - We have signs of spring here in Idaho for which I'm so very grateful, daylilies, daffodils and tulips are coming up. Yea!

I am back home and getting ready for our Artist Showcase next weekend. Have a few pictures to mat and one to frame. Also have some gals and one framed picture to pick up at the framers.

Any of you ever get the jitters before a show? I do. Going to "Paint With a Friend" this morning, so chatting about it with the others helps.

My pug Iris was so happy to see me when I returned Tuesday night and she's been my shadow ever since (always is anyway.) Husband says he was glad t o share her, she stays in his lap every time he sits down when I'm gone. Dogs are definitely good companions.

Barb - keep us posted on your May show.
Carol - cell phones and teens - bah humbug! What a shock.

Have a great day and God bless you all.

CM Neidhofer
04-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Ok, blizzard conditions across part of the state, still snowing here in the foothills. About six inches at the moment. Back to the 70's by the weekend. Go figure. :p :rolleyes: :lol:

Christine

Deborah Secor
04-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Snow up north, eh, Christine? We had gray skies and rain all day yesterday and today, too. In fact we have a fire going in the fireplace right now. (I miss my woodstoves, but the fireplace is nice--better than nothing!)

I'm busy with two articles and several classes, plus getting ready to go on our trip back to see the family in Buffalo. We'll be gone from the 21st through May 8, so it's taking some major planning! We decided to drive. Flying was tempting but with all the news the last few days about American canceling 1000 flights I'm just as happy to be getting in the car, thank you. Hoping the weather will be scenic but not drastic, since I plan to draw/paint my way across the country. It's hard to think about going backwards in seasons, however. I guess I'll pack winter and spring clothing... Despite the cold here they're saying it will be in the high 70s next week. FINE by me!

I taught a class on mountains today and decided the demo needed to be a little different. I cobbled together some photos of Sandia and started from bare paper up. I toned the mountains and foreground area red-violet and kept the sky area light, and then did my usual charcoal drawing to map values. But then instead of busting into color like I usually do, I decided to do a slow building up of much more subtle colors (for me) and tried to explain why I was choosing them... I plan to think on it for a week and then finish the demo next week in class. It was a fun way to work. Slower paced and more discussion... Am I just slowing down, do you think? :D Well, maybe...

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
04-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I know I'm slowing down! No doubt of it!

Our wedding anniversary is this next Wednesday. That day is also the first anniversary of my younger sister's death. I have not been looking forward to an anniversary celebration with my husband because of this, but Jess, bless him, has made it fairly easy to cope with this.
This evening we are going to Columbus to see the Pfizer Phantasia at the Equine Affair. We'll eat something at the fairgrounds as we walk around and look at the horse exhibits, then watch the fantastic horse show set to lights and music. I have heard that it is quite the extravaganza!
Isn't he just the sweetest, most thoughtful man?

Deborah Secor
04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Sounds like a great wedding anniversary to me, Kate. Enjoy, even if it holds a bittersweet component. I can tell you have a good marriage going--nice guy you have there... :heart:

Deborah

Colorix
04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi,

Carol, Wow, 600 $ on sms? Are those teenagers grounded until they're 25 or so?... :-D Lucky those cells don't have chords to strangle with... what is it with kids and texting, anyway? They do it all the time, real important stuff like "where are you right now"...

Katherine, you can still celebrate your anniversary, and the memory of your sister. Is this the first since her passing? My father-in-law died on christmas eve a few years back, and the first christmas after that was, well, peculiar, but already the sencond was way easier, as the happy memories of FIL was shared.

Deborah, you're one busy lady! I hope everything works out fine with the hopes for something that is important to you that you mention last week.

Barb and Pat, congrats to shows!

I'm trying to keep up with life and chores, as everything was put on hold for my talk last Wednesday. Words are a struggle. While it is a creative thing to write, I have to translate my images in my head into words. (I think in pictures.) I tired quickly and often while writing, and I can paint for 4 hours in one go before taking a break. Talk went well, it was on "The Creative Process", at a local church (not my denomination). I have some controversial opinions -- naturally -- and I just might do a thread on it. (Controversial in Sweden, I should say.)

Spring is starting to bud here, crocuses have bloomed, and the narcissusses (sp?) are bursting out of buds. The magpies are busy gathering the moss from our "lawn" (mostly moss and weeds... in patches...) to line their nest, wich is in our neighbour's yard. Hardly any snow this winter, wich is rare, so grass is already starting to grow.

Have a nice weekend, all,
Charlie

K Taylor-Green
04-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Thanks Deborah. Bittersweet is just the word I would have chosen. It was fine. I had a few moments, thinking,"this time last year".
But the show was great! Wow! The horses, the music, just the way it was presented! Totally amazing.

Charlie, yes, this Wednesday will be the first year. Next year will be better, I know. The first one is always the pitts, sneaking up and tripping you when you least expect it.

Deborah Secor
04-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Okay, we plan the FIRST real vacation we've taken in over ten years and what happens? I get the first cold I've had in over a year... :rolleyes: Well, it seems lightweight. I'm just resting and figure it will be gone before we leave, but it wreaks havoc with the schedule. "Man arranges, God rearranges," as the rabbi says.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Things sure got quiet around here...Don't worry, you can't catch my cold this way! :wink2:

Just wanted to share the funniest photo of my son ever! This was taken last year at summer camp where he is a leader for the mid-high kids at our church. Let's just say that he isn't a morning person...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2008/23609-P1030381.jpg

:lol: Send your kid to summer camp with friendly, happy leaders that will spark their joy! Not. Yoicks--if looks could kill..... He's actually a nice guy and he loves the kids (as long as he's had coffee.)

Deborah