PDA

View Full Version : The Friday Challenge

wildfirelauri
07-06-2002, 12:01 AM
Jiley and I are planning collaboration IV lampwork bead set in the next two days, while I'm visiting Sacramento. We can't decide what colors to use. This is where you can help......THE CHALLENGE....come up with a color scheme using four colors. (clear not included) THE RULES..
1. can be from either the moretti or boro palette (not both, duh)
2. entries must be posted on this forum by Saturday, July 6 at 6:09 pm PST
3. contestant participants may not be related to or sleeping with either J or L
4. employees of either studio are not eligible to participate in this serious endever
5. only one entry per participant

INCENTIVE...all entries will be viewed and judged by a select panel of un-named judges. (Sit and stay Bear) PRIZES... the grand prize winner will receive something or another to be determined at a later date. So get thinking..this is serious stuff.
:clap: (Jiley made me put in one of the jumpy guys. Remember, she's new today.)

Below is a pic of Collaboration I

motherbeads
07-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Hehehe, this should be fun. I think you gals are up for a challenge, so I have carefully chosen my suggested colors. Each is chosen for its inherent incompatibility with the others. If you can do this, I'll award YOU a prize!

Dark Turquoise 236
Dark Gray 252
Light Lemon Yellow 404
Evil Devitrifying Purple

Have fun, wimmin!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Shirley C.
07-06-2002, 03:03 AM
Renee, your colors made me LOL! bbbbwwwwaaaahahahaha!

So post your pix, Renee - I wanna see. :D

b2beads
07-06-2002, 03:39 AM
PHWATTTT - as my Mt. Dew sprays the monitor... I like Renee's challenge, better! Here's my suggested colors...

EDP
Dk. Ivory
Rubino Oro
Dk. Turquoise

Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck...

Can't wait to see the lovely beadies....

I'll post a REAL entry tomorrow... B2

:angel:

cankeep
07-06-2002, 12:06 PM
Does white count as a color? Whimpy I know, but I just finished a set in different shades of orange, purple, pink, and white....more color than I'm used to using! I thought it might qualify. Not as challenging as the color Renee and Beth came up with though. Those would be positively frightening to try to work with all together, though I'm sort of weirdly fascinated with the idea of actually trying to come up with a way to use them that would actually work! I'll bet it could be done.
Till I got on this color kick I got nervous if I put more than two colors in a set! So much more fun to break out of the box!:D

b2beads
07-06-2002, 12:14 PM
Ahhh, Lezlie! Those are beautiful! And you're on to something there...etched, my combo would work if you could keep the ivory and the rubino away from each other.

I'm with you - I love 3, 4, 5 color combinations (usually counting ivory, black or white...)

B2

meesh
07-06-2002, 01:45 PM
lauri & jiley,
my favorite new color combo is

trans. medium amber/topaz
trans. teal
opaque turquiose
white

i made these last week. the smooth beads look water colory!!! plus if you want to be a couple of hip cats. turquoise is a hot color right now!!!

b2beads
07-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Meesh - I LOVE that color combo! Would not have thought of it! Wow. I'm going to have to try that as the topaz family are my best friends...

B2:clap:
(Still in her fur pajamas...)

Lara
07-06-2002, 02:11 PM
HMMM

I think the following would be interesting
periwinkle
transparent amethyst
lime green
lt grey

Lara

meesh
07-06-2002, 02:47 PM
beth, topaz/amber is my favorite! being a red head. i have to make sure things "match" my hair! ha! pink and red are NOT friends of mine!!!

BlackDotMags
07-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Okay, Lauri & Jiley, I'm going to suggest a really beautiful combination of colors:

White
Super Intense Black
Violet #272
Avocado Green

Mags :)

LLuvia Brito
07-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Hmmm I might have to drag my butt out to the torch, I've been sick the last couple days with no *motivation* :o LOL

But I'll add a Boro Combination,

Purple Luster
Nortstar Irid
Northstar light yellow
Amazon night

LLuvia Brito

Ann*S
07-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Lezlie and Meesh...Beautiful beads...wow to you both.
Lauri,
How about
nile green
periwinkle
lt lapis
transparent aqua.
I think you two get to have way too much fun.
Ann:angel:

b2beads
07-06-2002, 11:01 PM
So, dynamic duo...what is the winning combination???

B2 (who got so excited while torching she officially forgot to submit her official entry by the official deadline :crying: )

Ann*S
07-07-2002, 02:26 AM
hmmmm,
I wonder if they have to try them all out before they choose a winner. I'm telling you...they are having way too much fun. They get to go everywhere and play glass.
ann

wildfirelauri
07-07-2002, 01:21 PM
I'm sure you guys have stayed up all night waiting for the official weiner! So I sure don't want to make you wait any longer. The official pick of colors are........drum roll please.....
periwinkle
transparent amethyst
lime
light gray

This winning combo was posted by Lara. Lara please either email or private message me your addy and we will send you one of the beads...maybe more...made from your colors. Congratulations!

comments: next time we'll be sure to specify that the colors should look GOOD together...Rene and B2..what can I say...have you had your eyes checked lately? Or you just tying to have us waste some perfectly good glass. UGH! :cool:

Here's a couple of pics of the judging process. Beads will be torched later in the day and Jiley will post pics of those when done. Thanks guys!

wildfirelauri
07-07-2002, 01:26 PM
And another pic of the entries...

cankeep
07-07-2002, 01:43 PM
I tried Beth's color combo last night and Mags too, just for fun, haven't had time to try any of the others yet.
Beth's was definitely a challenge to get to look good without the rubino getting brownish (from touching the ivory) but with a little effort the beads are really nice (I think anyway) and they're colors that I would have never tried together!

Mags colors did some awesome stuff together in the flame and got a little metallic reduction thing in places too. I'm going to definitely try experimenting more with those colors together!

I made a note of the other suggestions to keep near the torch to try when I have a spare minute to play again.

I'll post pictures of the beads later on if anyone is interested.
I've had a ball with this! Really pushes you to step outside that comfort zone, especially for us one tone beaders who are most comfortable doing monochromatic sets....nice but kinda boring compared to playing with the crazy colors!! Thanks for starting this Jiley and Lauri! :)

b2beads
07-07-2002, 01:49 PM
Well, Lezlie, thank you very much! (Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah Lauri :p ) I actually thought those colors could look nice together, but would be very tough with that rubino problem. Can't wait to see them.

I think the judge was bribed to pick "easy" colors. He looks like he could be easily bought ;)

Can't wait to see Collaboration IV (or whatever number we are one - I can't remember...)!

B2 (who's vision does, in fact, suck...)

rightbrainbeads
07-07-2002, 02:03 PM
yes, lezlie-- post some pics! :clap:

lynne

Ann*S
07-07-2002, 03:38 PM
Lezlie,you are ambitious...
I tried mine and I love the combination...except I used a dark aqua transparent...Now I have to try the others. Great way to make us experiment.
Thank you guys!
Also, I want the dog.
ann

Lara
07-07-2002, 06:44 PM
HEY I WON :clap: I haven't won anything before. Cool. I'll e-mail by demographics to you. Never thought my color combo would be choosen, just picked the colors I happen to like at the moment.

Lara

Shirley C.
07-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Ann, if you get the dog you'll have to hide all of your socks. This guy steals 'em. Oh, and he plays baseball, too. Not to mention the fact that he takes up most of the bed - kinda hellish in the summer...

Lezlie and Ann - post bead pix! I want to see all these interesting color combos!

cankeep
07-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Here's the bead picture of what I did with Beth's color suggestion. It came out different than I thought it would, kinda Barbie goes Southwestern! :D

cankeep
07-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Here's what Mags color combo did. I love it! It did a little bit of a reduction effect so I added a few reduction frit beads to the set just to break up the color.

cankeep
07-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Here's a close up that's a little bigger so you can see the veiny thing the colors did together. I was amazed! I figured there'd be some reaction but not this drastic!

macbeth7
07-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Lezlie,

I love love love both of those sets!!

:clap: :clap:
Beth

wildfirelauri
07-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Ohhhh Lezlie,

Those are gorgeous. I'm heading for the torch soon and hoping not to fry the moretti.

Shirley C.
07-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Lezlie, those are beauties - all of them!

craftylady
07-09-2002, 04:57 PM
cankeep those beads are lovely. I like the Barbie beads. Laurie

ValorieCox
07-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Lezlie,
Wow, those are beautiful! I'm so glad to showed them to us...very inspiring. Better get back to the torch!
Valorie

b2beads
07-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Yowza, Lezlie!!! Those are magnificent! And Lauri said I needed my eyes checked....:p Barbie goes southwest is awesome, and I can't believe can't believe white, intense black, avocado and purple 272 did THAT - amazing! B2

margaretz
07-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Lezlie,
Fantastic job on both sets. I like the second best, though the barbie goes SW is really neat. Can't believe those colors produced that set. Again, great job!

cankeep
07-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Beth,
There's actually a little enamel added to your color scheme(though not much, just a touch of "new purple") and the bumpy beads were Rubino and transparent purple beads that I snagged from another set. They lightened up the look. I did a twisted heart in the same colors....to terrible to even take a picture of, especially after seeing your delicious "Jello" heart!
Lezlie;)

Janell
07-09-2002, 11:52 PM
I love the purple orange pink combo would have never thought of mixing those colors and I mix anything. I alos love the turquoise and amber combo, I tried it last night it is really pretty. I will post a picture when i get them cleaned. All of your beads are beautiful.
Janell