GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Poppies
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi everyone,<br><br>This is still WIP ... .. please stop by and give me ur comments and any suggestion of how can i improve it ..I've atached two images from different light and angles ..as u can see that changed the colors of the poppies too..in one of them the colors are more vibrant though it is still the same painting....Which one do u like more?<br><br><br><br>Amalitta<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am not pleased with the leaves ..i was thinking to add some orange color to it..What do u think?<br><br><br>Thank you very much!

MRSBB
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi Amalitta and welcome to the forum.......... I think you have a good start to your poppies and I definately like the 1st one as I feel it shows the true colors best. Actually I have these poppies growing up here in Colorado. When they first come up all you see is the green leaves and then they send up the buds on top of the greenery and in a few days they open up in full glory atop the greenery. So in my opinion you need to add more greenery if you are going for realism. Your leaves give the impression of being pretty true to form. Might want to add a little blue to the green mixture and highlight the leaves more. I'm sure others can advise you better on the flower, but I do like the painting. Keep having fun and will look forward to your next post. Lenore

cbcarnell
04-08-2008, 12:38 AM
This is lovely! Your blues work very well with the oranges and yellows of the poppies. If you are going for realism, I would like to see a little variation in your sky color - a bit lighter as it heads toward the bottom of the canvas would give this more depth. On your flowers, if you soften some of the edges of the petals and leaves - this will add to the sense of depth also. If all of the edges are hard, everything has a tendency to look flat. Can't wait to see more of your work!

eachimia
04-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I once heard that to achieve harmony one must put a little of the sky in the ground and a little of the ground in the sky

other than that, very beautiful rendering

Amalitta
04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Thank you all very much for your reply.I am going to keep in consideration your advice and hopefully soon i will present the updated painting.

Have a wonderful day!:wave:

Amalitta

gaensanger
04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Wonderful painting. Maybe the sky is too blue. A little bit more light would be good.

Amalitta
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Thank you gaensanger ...

Hello everyone,
This is my updated painting ..I have changed the sky and the leaves ..
I had lots of problems attaching the file...well..i hope the size is good enough for you to be able to view the painting and make an opinion.
Can anyone tell me if i should glaze over the entire painting or should i leave it as it is..So far i have applied glazing only on the flowers

Thank you very much for your time!

Amalitta

Corby
04-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Amalita! You have definitely captured the color and shape of these poppies. If I were to encourage you along a certain line of painting with this type of subject, I would encourage you to break away from the "bugs eye" view, where it is as if we were on the ground looking up at the flowers with the sky behind. It is a setting that one sees on seed packets and sometimes needle point...why not try a more human oriented composition?

MRSBB
04-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi Amalitta. Well for me I think you have improved the painting anthough I like the shape and color of the leaves better in the first one. This is a very nice painting.............Lenore

BRIDGES
04-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Sky is too blue tone down. thicken the poppies overlapping some. darken base of green leaves and foliage.Nice painting Bridges

Amalitta
04-17-2008, 09:28 AM
C.L.Magnuson, MRSBB, BRIDGES

Thank you very much for your advice

Amalitta