PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher April 7 - April 13

Pat Isaac
04-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Good morning everyone,

Finally some the sun is shining and that will make it a little warmer today. I am leaving shortly for the studio. Hope to get a lot done as I only have one other day this week that I can go to the studio. On Thursday we are going to upper state NY for a surprise birthday party for my BIL. He will be 80...guess that is something to celebrate. My other sister and husband will also be there so it will be a nice family time.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Good morning everyone,

Finally some the sun is shining and that will make it a little warmer today. I am leaving shortly for the studio. Hope to get a lot done as I only have one other day this week that I can go to the studio. On Thursday we are going to upper state NY for a surprise birthday party for my BIL. He will be 80...guess that is something to celebrate. My other sister and husband will also be there so it will be a nice family time.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

Pat, Have a great time with your family!! It is always great to get together with family and enjoy yourself. As Louie Armstrong used to sing.."Grab your coat, grab your hat and leave your troubles on the doorstep..." as you leave!:thumbsup:

Hope the rash is dwindling so you can enjoy yourself!

Bill
:music: :heart: :music:

AngelaF
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi everyone, I don't know where last week went for me --I did get my taxes done, a futon couch set up in the studio room and a taboret for painting built from an old cabinet -- but still don't know where much of the week went!

I am glad to hear your rash was going away, Pat. I am sorry to hear about the problems with your studio group. The mural project had some huge controversary, too. Aflurry of e-mails and threats of lawsuits -- effected the opening of the project. I felt like I was back at work. One artist involved in the project stated "...trying to lead a group of artists anywhere, is like trying to take a litter of puppies with diarrhea (sp?) for walk.":lol: I don't think it is always that bad -- but thought it was a funny statement. Horse people groups are often not too much fun either due to all the politics -- I don't belong to any right now. All kidding aside, I really hope things get better.

I really don't know why I can't get on a better schedule -- feeling anxiety now that the mural panels are done -- don't know why -- but will just have to get over it and get to work, or that is get to work and get over it!

Have a Happy Painting Week Everyone! Angela

wabbitt
04-07-2008, 02:13 PM
is like trying to take a litter of puppies with diarrhea (sp?) for walk."

I had a good laugh at that!

Shirl Parker
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I wish I could send some heat up there to youse guys. It was 101 out yesterday according to my car gauge.

Pat Isaac
04-07-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd love to have some heat, Shirl. Actually where we are going in NY is warmer than here by 20 degrees according to my sister. Hope it stays that way. The sun only stayed out here for about an hour this morning and has been cloudy and raw the rest of the day.
:lol: :lol: , Angela.....that is too funny. I'll let you know what happens as the meeting is tomorrow night.
Thanks for the good wishes, Bill.
I did get a lot of work done at my studio today, midst people stopping by about tomorrow's meeting.
tomorrow I am going to lunch with some of the people that I graduated from college with. They try to get together once a month and I haven't been for several so tomorrow's the day.
Rash is fading.....:thumbsup:

Pat

Tracy Lewis
04-09-2008, 11:24 AM
We've had a funny old week, weather wise here in Wales. We've had sun, sleat, hail, snow, wind and rain. Talk about not knowing what to put on next!
I've been doing the household chores to enable me to get some art work done, but it looks like art's off for tonight again.

Pat Isaac
04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Wow, that is everything, how could the weather men go wrong? We have had 2 sunny days this week with temps in the 60s. Nice. However, it is going back to rain, cold and raw. Oh well, we are going away tomorrow for the weekend west of here and I think it is warmer there. Yea....
Hope you get some art in soon.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Rash is fading.....:thumbsup:

Pat

I.e., Scratch the rash??????:rolleyes:

Sorry, I've had kind of a blah week and can't seem to get motivated (does that ever happen to anyone else or just me??). Have been working on my "studio" conversion and even got one of my easels in there. Moved out most of the furniture and am going to hang adjustable shelving all around the room. When I get it done and not looking like a pile of boxes maybe I'll post a pic in the gusher and see what you think or if you have suggestions!

:( Need some motivation. Anyone got some spare???:(

Bill

Pat Isaac
04-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Motivation....:eek: :D :evil: Get out the Whistler.....oops too easy..I'll have to come up with something else...though Wendell sure has it covered.
I really do know what you mean, Bill and that happened to me for months last summer when we were thrown out of our space. i am glad that you are reorganizing...and it will help. Don't get too hung up on the plan, as i have found you have to live with it for awhile and see what works. Get out some OPs and do a few things.

I'll check in tomorrow before I leave.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks, Pat. :eek: Whistler!:lol: That seemed to cause a flicker, at least! You know, that is exactly part of the problem; I lie around or sit around "thinking" about how to perfectly organize everything (and, I'm sure you probably know enough about me to figure out that is NOT my strong suit!". In fact, that's why I moved the easel up there. I think tomorrow I'm going to just start putting the adjustable shelving around the room. I'm going to have it come down to about standing work height.

After that I think I'll just take the boxes with everything in it and get them off the floor. I've got a couple of Kooh-i-noor drafting boards I'm going to put on a table then I can have a plece to draw comfortably.

That was always the problem I had with my office. I put so much furniture in it trying to anticipate anything I might conceivably need I couldn't move around. Maybe this time I'll start with the desk I have, the easel, table and shelving and add things as I need them rather than trying to anticipate,

The other thing that drives me nuts is I have all these ideas about things I want to develop into paintings and get hung up trying to decide which to do!

Pat, thanks for the response. I have my ups and downs, but it always works out. I tend to work in spurts of activity, as recently, and then think I can keep that pace up all the time. I guess not all of us have the "vim and vigor" that you do, you bottomless pit of energy, you!:p :p

You probably NEVER get tired! (BTW, even if you just take notes, doesn't mean you can't tweak her nose a lttile. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: You are an :angel:, even if your halo tilts now and then. Just don't give Wendell any help; he's starting to pull out works that aren't even in my art history books!!

Bouguereau ?????? Geez, I hope the fruit flies aren't bad this year or I might end up doing Titian, Boticelli, and Bosch!!! That'll get me motivated. Let's see, "Birth of Venus" ala Van Gogh.... Now there's a thought!:evil:

:wave: :music: :heart: :music: :wave:

Se ya tomorrow,

Bill

Peiwend
04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Now Bill, don't think you can sneak the easy ones past me. And no "au Van Gogh" either.

For Springtime, the frivolity of Baroque would be a nice change. How about Fragonard's "The Swing". There's also Watteau's "The Embarkation for Cythera" or "Pilgrimage to Cythera".

For organization, a Canaletto would be nice. It would keep things in perspective. But then, trying to do a precise Canaletto in OP's might drive anyone insane.

The fruit flies are back but all the skies are done. Now what do I do about the voles in the backyard that ate most of the croci over the winter?

Have a nice trip, Pat.

_____________________________Wendell

Pat Isaac
04-10-2008, 07:52 AM
:eek: voles.....my daughter who is the biologist collected and studied those one summer as a project while in college, ugh. Our charming little chipmunks eat the croci here. You certainly are pulling out the works for Bill. I LOVE it. Now he has to get busy..
Energy....where...who...??. I often feel that it got up and went. Anyway I know what you mean about the ideas. That happens to me a lot..in fact I now have 5 paintings in the works and have 3 more that I want to do for the show. Whoa...I say finish these then start the others if you remember what they were by then..:lol:
I'm off for NY soon.

Have a great weekend everyone and I expect the studio to be organized when I get back.
Good luck with the fruit flies, Wendell

Pat :angel:

AnnieA
04-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone! The weather seems to be in that undecided state where I live, as I notice it is for Tracy. Yesterday, I woke to brilliant sunsine, but by the time I was awake enough to start wanting to do something to take advantage of it, the sky had already clouded over. :( This morning, it's foggy. Last week, it hailed. At least we haven't had snow! Oh well, in the middle of summer, when it gets way to hot, I'll look back on this weather and wish for it! :lol:

Angela: I sure can see where your week went - you were a busy lady and got a lot accomplished, from what I see! I'm so sorry to hear about all the conflict around the mural project. How disappointing. Did it still open eventually? I hope it all worked out in the end. No wonder you're feeling a little anxious. You'll probably do better once you apply all that energy you have to some OP paintings. :)

Shirl: Ugh! 101 is waaaay to hot! How do you stand it?

Pat: It's great that you were able to get a lot of work done despite the interruptions earlier this week. I'm very glad to hear that the rash is fading; that must be a relief! What happened at your art group meeting????? I hope all went well.

Tracy: That really is a lot of weather! It must have kept your head spinning! :eek: I hope your new set of OPs arrives soon! :)

Bill: I'd offer suggestions on how to overcome the blahs, but I haven't found anything that works that great for me. Extra caffiene, perhaps? :D Re: the studio: Pat's idea about living with things to see how they fit sounds like good advice. Given what your past experience with too much furniture, maybe you should start with a minimalist approach: what is the minimum number of things that you need in your studio to paint? Then you could add things in only when you find you absolutely need to. Once you start working on a painting in your new studio, that'll probably snap you out of the doldrums.

Wendell: You're a tough task master! I'm glad you got the skies done before the fruit flies returned. What are voles? You sure have some critter problems!

I do that thing of thinking about an idea for a painting, but then not getting around to it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Although my difficulty isn't because I get too busy with other paintings, as in your case, Pat - yours is a problem I would love to have. :lol: Maybe writing my ideas down is the way to go. Might be motivating too...thanks to you all for sparking that idea.

Pat: Enjoy your trip and you have a great weekend too! :)

Shirl Parker
04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Annie, I pray for the wind to blow, which it often does, and I stay inside a lot. These next few months should be my most productive period, artwise, as all my winter Texan friends will be gone back to Canada and Minnesota, etc., and I will have to amuse myself more with painting.

AnnieA
04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Shirl: Well, I sure hope you have reliable air conditioning! :)

Scarefishcrow
04-10-2008, 10:56 PM
:eek: :eek: No place to hide. He doesn't even need books. He's memorized every painting ever done. Whistler is starting to look better all the time!

Mercy, Master, Mercy! I'll trap the voles, swat the fruit flies and replant the croci, plus clean your brushes!!!!!!! No new assignments, I'm still trying to get the last ones done, kind Master.
Shoo, you fruit fly. Bad vole. Bad vole. Bloom lovely little croci!:angel: :angel:

Annie, thanks for the sympathy if not the cure. It really is getting my studio set up that is bugging me. I want it done, but can't be painting while I'm working on it!. Oh to have Pat's get up and go, even though she claims it got up and went:lol: :lol: I don't believe that for a minute.

I am doing exactly what you suggested, other than my desk and bookcases, I am lining the walls with adjustable shelving, putting up my easel, putting in a table for my drawing boards and getting to work.

Also will be going next week to North Carolina (Jerry's home store) for a week and since my wife will be at computer seminars all day I hope to do some serious sketching. Not going to take every thing that makes a color mark this time (besides, if I need anything Jerry's is just around the corner, :D :D ).

Perhaps that will get me moving again. I think part of it is I still have to clean out my office at work and the retirement ceremonies are May 1, so maybe there's just a wee bit of quesiness about the final severance of the umbilical to my job for the past 30+ years. However, all my OP forum friends have made a big difference in helping me with my transition to retired life and really been a shot in the arm. I am so glad for all the friends I've made here and to me there's little that's more important than family and friends (online or offline).

So thanks everyone for being a great support group! There's a whole world out there to paint and we have only just begun!

(Also going to the Art Inst. of Chicago in May for an exhibit with Hopper and Winslow Homer. That will cheer me up, too. Maybe I can find some of those artists for which that kind, generous and compassionate Wendell has provided me names!

(Wendell, is the sucking up working or am I just wasting my time. I absolutely hate to grovel unless it will be of some benefit and I have a substantial suspicion that excessive groveling may only spur you on, so give me a staus report:confused: )

Shirl, just keep cool. It can't stay hot forever! (Can it?)

Ciao

AngelaF
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi everyone,

Hope you have a great weekend, Pat.

Bill, I finally started an OP painting yesterday -- now I am wondering why I didn't start sooner. My studio set-up that I did along with the great room, etc. redo is 95% done. I plan to post some pictures soon in a thread that Jane started on studios -- I have it in my favorites -- but don't know how to link to it right now. I will go to my favorites and at least give you a litte more info. about it in a second post from this one. It would be great if we both could revive that thread.

Great to see you, Annie. You sound like you are feeling chipper now, hope so very much. What are you working on these days? Oil painting along with OP? No, the mural has not opened yet. Some panels from artists that dropped out in the controversary will have to be redone. I am still hoping for the best, yet. Many artists stayed in, best I can tell.

Even though I got a good start yesterday -- now I am going to a friends in anther town for the weekend -- long ago promised and scheduled. I do look forward to a productive week next weed!!!!

Have a great weekend all!!! Angela

Shirl Parker
04-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Bill, try the 5-minute plan. Whatever you're doing, take a break for 5 minutes and start a painting. After 5 minutes, put it aside and go back to what you were doing (if you can). Whichever one is more important to your subconscious will take priority, and don't worry about which it is.

As far as the heat goes, there will be little relief from now until October. Maybe I'll skip town.

Peiwend
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Annie, voles are like meadow mice or little field mice without the long tails. This year was bad because the snow cover came before the ground froze so they were digging and eating everything under the snow. To keep warm they made more voles. I noticed some cats in the backyard yesterday keeping the situation under control. Soon, hungry skunks and foxes along with crows and ravens will be around so that should take care of the voles.

Bill, grovelling will not impress me, but a beautifully done painting might! For motivation, I just look at the stack of bills that have to be paid. Then I have two choices; paint or declare bankruptcy. Painting is the easier choice but paintings done by unmotivated artists don't sell. That motivates me. That's my logic!

Angela, sorry to hear about the problems. The only thing you can do is stay above it.

Shirl, even after going through five months of winter, that heat sounds terrible. On a cool, breezy showery day last summer, I answered a question from a group of tourists and said what a pity that they came here and the weather wasn't hot. They replied, "We love this weather and it's what we came here for! We're from Texas.". Now, I understand.

Have a good weekend, Pat.

_____________________________Wendell

Scarefishcrow
04-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Wendell--:rolleyes: I didn''t figure that grovelling would cut the mustard with an old curmdgeon like you. Particaularly with the fruit files comming back to Wendell's capistrano and the voles munching your croci. Working on a Homer boat pic ("Catboat", watercolor version of similar work in oil called "Breezing Up". I'm anxious to do something with my oil sticks. Will probably have to get some advice on basic technique since I have never used them before.

glad you are getting your big cvanvasses done!

Bill
\

AnnieA
04-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Bill: I'm glad that the minimalist suggestion was helpful. :) That trip to NC sounds fun, especially the Jerry's part. :lol: I can understand how hard it would be to leave a 30+ year job, but am also glad that you've found such a satisfying and exciting substitute here at WC (and especially the WC Forum). :) I hope you'll report extensively on Hopper when you come back from the exhibit; he's one of my favorites. Speaking of Hopper, in some of the other online material accompanying the exhibit, there are downloadable screen savers made from details of Hopper's paintings (some are free; for other's there's a fee). I may have posted the link before (quite a while ago), but if anyone else is interested I'll hunt it down and post it again.

Angela: Great that you started a new OP painting! I'll be watching for how it's coming along. I didn't realize that some panels needed to be redone - whew, sounds like a lot of work! I hope that it's all resolved before the opening and that everything goes well. On my end of things, I started having problems with my neck, probably from drawing with the paper flat on the desk, so I have to get re-set-up with my easel, and haven't managed that just quite yet. :o (I have been doing some gardening though.)

Shirl: The 5-minute plan you suggested to Bill sounds like a good idea. :)

Wendell: Aww, poor little voles (I do understand though - I've got squirrels and blue jays who generally mess up my gardening efforts). I had to chuckle about your motivation method. Whatever works, eh? I'm with you about too hot weather (anything over 85 or so) - give me rain any day.

Hey Bill, from that last post, it sounds like you've got a bunch of paintings going now...congrats for breaking your doldrums spell! :clap:

Pat Isaac
04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am home now and have been trying to catch up...Thanks all for keeping everything in order. It was a great time and I'll post more tomorrow in the new thread.
Enjoy the evening.

Pat