PDA

View Full Version : Vessels and sandblasting

Jennifer Geldard
07-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Wanted to show off a new vessel design, and also ask about
people's experiences with sand blasting.
I have a wonderful opportunity to have access to a great sand blasting cabinet and wondered if anyone had any experience or ideas they'd like to share. I've seen Diana East's wonderful work of course, and plan on emailing her as well, but anyone else???

-Jen

ps: Here's Diana's site if anyone hasn't seen her work yet...

http://www.diana-east.co.uk

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2002/vessel1.jpg

Aleta
07-06-2002, 12:15 AM
Hi Jen,

I wasn't able to access Diane's site. That's ok. I just wanted to tell you that you make the neatest scrolly things like the border around the lip of this vessel. Is there somewhere in one of these forums that describes this technique, or is this one of your best kept secrets:) Your color combinations never cease to amaze me as well.

Aleta

wildfirelauri
07-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Hey Jennifer, gorgeous as is all your work.
There was a post called "Adventures in Sandblasting" by Mags just a few days ago. I'll try to post the link, but either way, take a look for it if this doesn't work. ps. Jiley says "Hi."

Adventures in Sandblasting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48307)

b2beads
07-06-2002, 03:53 AM
Hey Jennifer - Another beautiful vessel! Mags is the lucky sandblasting queen right now, but I'm taking Diana East's class next month, and I believe Lauri and DonnaB are too! Join us!

B2

Laura Brito
07-06-2002, 06:35 AM
Your vessel is really lovely! I really like the lip on it and the flowers! It is just really yummy!

There is another thread about sandblasting below if you hunt for it, with examples. I haven't done much of it, only some but I liked it alot!

Laura

Jennifer Geldard
07-06-2002, 09:20 AM
Aleta,
The scroll effect is made by simply making a row of dots and then heat the point between them and make a twist there with the end of a cool stringer. I make a small stringer on the end of a short rod and snip it off to a couple of inches so that I have something more substantial to hold, and more control.
then you wait for the area to cool a bit and wiggle the stringer until it just snaps off. You can leave it like that, or I often dot the place I twisted with a contrasting color.
I hope that made sense.

Thanks for the link to the other thread Lauri! Hi Jiley!
Wild bead women, Make something miraculous !!!!!!

By the way, how do you make the jumping clapping guys???

LouisCamp
07-06-2002, 10:02 AM
Jennifer;

Very nice. I alway enjoy looking at your work.

Lou

wildfirelauri
07-06-2002, 12:02 PM
Hi again Jen. When you bring up the box to type your post, there are "smilies" just to the left. (Well on my screen anyways.) Just choose what you like and the smiley will be placed in the body of your post. Does this make sense? OH, and hi Lou...or is that LOU? Jiley is a bad influence on me

LouisCamp
07-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Hi Lauri;

Yeah, it's LOU. That Jiley......

Lou

BlackDotMags
07-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Hey, Jen! Your vessel is sooo beautiful!! Great job! :)

I'd be glad to help answer your questions about sandblasting. I am pretty new to blasting beads, so I sure don't have all the answers yet, but I'm willing to share what I do know.

It might seem to be kinda intimidating at first, but once you try sandblasting, you won't believe how fun and easy it is. Knowing how long to spray the abrasive is probably the toughest thing to learn, and that's not too hard to get the hang of with a little practice.

So ask away, either here, or PM me. :)
Mags
~~~~

Elankat
07-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Wow. Fantastic vessel!

macbeth7
07-07-2002, 04:45 PM
Wow, great vessel Jennifer! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beth

Jennifer Geldard
07-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Can I use contact paper as a resist? have you tried it yet?
It seems to me, that if i cover an area with contact paper I can make some precision cuts with an exacto and do some really cool ornate blasting. I'm just worried it won't stand up to the abuse.
I can't try this stuff yet because the cabinet wont be available for a bit, but in the meantime my head is going to explode thinking about it .

About the clapping guy.... I have all kinds of options for faces showing up, but nothing animated to chose from :( bummer.

macbeth7
07-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Hiya Jen,

Hmm, that's weird. Are you looking to the left side of the "your reply" box? That's where they are on my screen...not the ones on top under "message icon".

Beth

Jennifer Geldard
07-07-2002, 05:45 PM
Ooooh! There they are!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I had the option turned off somehow in my preferences.
Yay!!!!!!

macbeth7
07-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Yay!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers!
Beth

BAM
07-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Your work is always so wonderful. Do you teach?
Betty

Jennifer Geldard
07-07-2002, 07:36 PM
Thanks Betty,
No, I'm still learning so much on my own, I'm not sure how good a teacher I'd be. I've informally taught a couple of friends (kind of).
I have a very hard time translating what I want to say verbally.
maybe if I can come up with some sort of blackboard lessons, I could draw it :D
BTW... my son Max calls my mom "Bam".... he had a hard time saying "Gram" which is what she wanted him to call her, but kids make up their own minds don't they :)

BlackDotMags
07-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer Geldard
It seems to me, that if i cover an area with contact paper I can make some precision cuts with an exacto and do some really cool ornate blasting. I'm just worried it won't stand up to the abuse.
I can't try this stuff yet because the cabinet wont be available for a bit, but in the meantime my head is going to explode thinking about it .

I know what you mean about having lots of ideas!! :)

I haven't tried contact paper yet, but I was thinking the same thing you were. It's cheap, easily accessible, and cuts very well. I'm going to try it, and also try some model airplane masking tape. This stuff is kind of rubbery, so it should hold up well to the abrasive. Problem is I could only find it in one size...1/8" wide rolls.

I tried visqueen tape (cuts well, but falls apart in the blast, and not sticky enough) and regular duct tape, which industrial sandblasters use for a resist (sticky enough, holds very well, but has fibery edges that make it difficult to cut with an exacto, and it leaves a fuzzy edge on the finished decoration) However, I'm told that there is available a duct tape without the fiber backing. I'm going to try this, too!

3M makes a product called "Buttercut" which is supposed to be the cat's meow for a blast resist. I've got someone sending me some to try. Thought I'd sample it first because it's hard to find, and very expensive (one roll is like $70) Sure a roll would last a long time, but if I can find a cheaper alternative, I'd rather do that! ;)

Mags
~~~~

KFOrr
07-08-2002, 01:46 AM
There is a tutorial on sandblasting beads on Bronwen Heilmans web page http://www.ghostcow.com/ I want to try sandblasting, too. What equipment did you get? I have been looking at something called a micrograver.

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-08-2002, 02:28 AM
Mags

I have a friend that sandblasts gravestones with the 'buttercut' and he always has scrape left over. Couldn't take much of a very big piece for beads. Just a thought.

Bobby

WitchRoseamI
08-14-2002, 06:05 PM
And that is a very lovely peice you've done.
The scrolling is so sweet
:clap:

Stacylynne
08-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by WhiteHotGlassWorks
Mags

I have a friend that sandblasts gravestones with the 'buttercut' and he always has scrape left over. Couldn't take much of a very big piece for beads. Just a thought.

Bobby

Bobby, Mags and I were talking about that we have sandblasters and butter cut and I was going to send a few scraps to Mags but I keep forgeting!!!! Bad meeee Sorry mags.........StacyLynne

b2beads
08-14-2002, 07:02 PM
Diana uses PVC tape - works great. She also uses Cern paste or Liquid Lead (like in the stained glass painting section in Michaels, etc.) to paint a mask on certain areas. I found it to work pretty well, though not quite as well as the tape.

B2

Virginia Slawson
08-14-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer Geldard
It seems to me, that if i cover an area with contact paper I can make some precision cuts with an exacto and do some really cool ornate blasting. I'm just worried it won't stand up to the abuse....<clip>

Jen,

Yes, you can definitely use contact paper! Here's what I wrote in the first blasting thread started by Mags last week:

[I]We've used plain white contact paper (and only one layer if you're not cutting too deeply) and you can draw on it, too. ..<clip>

One thing that really helped us: Apply it, burnish it on the glass well, and then let the adhesive warm up for a good while (a few hours) under a swing-arm lamp, or photo reflector, etc...(and then let it cool down before cutting). The heat seems to relax the plastic and adheres it better. The burnishing and heat really helps to keep the resist from lifting in the blasting process.[I/]

Do your drawing after the burnishing-heating-cooling steps because the drawing usually gets smeared and/or distorted in the burnishing part of it. I use a very fine, permanent (Sharpie) marker. The #11 Exacto knife is my choice for cutting -- easy to make smooth, curvy cuts. (The glass dulls the blades quickly. The blades can be lightly "touched up" on a sharpening stone though--and it's worth it because you can go through a lot of blades with some intricate designs.)

Once you have made the cuts in the contact paper, lift off the resist where you want to etch. Then gently burnish the edges of the remaining resist. (if you have thoroughly burnished and heated in the first step, you shouldn't have to do too much burnishing the 2nd time around... just mostly where some edges might have gotten lifted as you pull the resist away.)

I can't emphsize enough how important the burnishing/heating step is. It makes all the difference.

"Buttercut" is neat, but expensive stuff. The thing is, it's really overkill for most glass projects; really indicated only if you wanted to do, e.g., deep relief carving in some plate or cast glass. If you want to obtain it, your nearest monument dealer is the best source.

Can't wait to see what you've done!:clap: :clap:

craftylady
08-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Wow :clap: :clap: :clap: I love that vessel.. your work really speaks for itself. I love to see your post. I hope to one day be able to do half the things you do. please keep posting:clap:

Jennifer Geldard
08-15-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks so much for the tips Virginia,
you're awesome!! I'll try the contact paper.

Thanks for the nice compliments you guys :)
::smoooooch::

Lynne Smith
08-15-2002, 02:46 PM
I love your work and your generousity with your knowledge.
I use a hairdryer to heat the contact paper when sandblasting.
Lynne

DonnaB
08-15-2002, 03:45 PM
I can't think of a thing to add that hasn't allready been said in this thread but I just wanted to say that I love that vessel Jennifer, and I *love* the way you make those leaves.

b2beads
08-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Cyclone is the brand of sandblaster we used in Diana East's class. You can order it online. Some days Lincoln, NE feels like Podunk, USA, and today is one of them. I've been to Home Depot and Sears looking for bench top sandblasters - nothing. Heck, they don't even carry Tool Dip (which you use to put a flexible plastic coating on the handles of tools and has potential use as a masking medium...) Grr.

So back to online shopping...

B2

craftylady
08-15-2002, 05:26 PM
I don't know anything about this subject other than what you guys have said. But I did get a sales paper with the cyclone listed on sale for 249.99. Side door opening blaster. there is also a Bench-top steel cabinet blaster 30 lb. Capacity. it sales for $140.00. If interested let me know. I have no idea of the prices so if there good I will help you out.:D :clap:

MadCatBeads
01-14-2003, 07:53 AM
My husband bought me a sandblaster for Christmas (he payed, I ordered..lol ). I ordered it from www.blasters.com They were wonderful. It cost $139 and I had them put a foot pedel onto it for controling the blasting verses doing it with a trigger. That was a suggestion from Nicki and Moontide Workshop. She said it is less wear and tear on your hands with using the trigger and then you can keep your hands free for blasting and holding the item. I have not used it yet, I have been going around getting other supplies I needed. Below is what I am going to use to hold my bead while blasting.

I also have to say a big thank you to Maggie for all your help with information about sandblasting. She is a wonderful soul.

marthagiberson
01-14-2003, 09:52 AM
Jennifer - gorgeous bead. Diana's work and her class is fantastic. I was lucky enough to take her class in Alexandria. She's teaching at Timberwolf Studios (Lawrence, MA) in November. I'm thinking of taking it again now that I have a more focused idea of what images I want to accomplish. - martha

NewCreation
01-14-2003, 10:43 AM
THERE ARE SO MANY POSTS ALREADY I FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO YELL!
JEN- YOUR VESSEL REMINDS ME OF MEXICAN POTTERY.
I THINK YOUR STYLE IS PERFECT FOR SANDBLASTING. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU DO WITH IT. I HOPE I CAN TRY IT SOMETIME TOO!

ok, done yelling over the din.

BlackDotMags
01-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Carol,
Hey, I like your idea of the tubing & clamps for holding the bead steady. Let us know how it works, okay? :)

~Mag

marthagiberson
01-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by BlackDotMags
Carol,
Hey, I like your idea of the tubing & clamps for holding the bead steady. Let us know how it works, okay? :)

~Mag

Diana leaves the beads on the mandrel. She uses 3 layersof the PVC tape and seals the bead in this, draws her image on, cuts with a scapel, sand blasts and then removed the tape, brings the bead up to temperature in the annealer and then fire polishes the bead in the end. Quite a process. She also recommends a tablet style bead over a round bead. Oh yes, she also seals the ends of the beads in tape so that the sandblasting material doesn't migrate and ruin your image. There is also a photo imaging tecnique that hopefully I'm going to experiment with in the very near future - martha

toozygoot
01-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Jennifer - I think the buttercut is too thick for beads, but you should be fine with contact paper adhere with heat and burnishing.

I have to admit this in front of all of you. If I could do any one thing with glass it would be sandblasting. It is a most gorgeous art. Of course I'm talking about cold glass here not beads. There I've said it. And I have access to a blasting cabinet this summer! YAY! I've only done one small piece, but want to do more. Just love the whole process.

pat

Jennifer Geldard
01-14-2003, 12:57 PM
This is so wierd...
I originally posted this in August :) It looks like Madcat bumped it up again.
And I did get a chance at the sandblaster, but with lame results.. it broke down and the friend who owns it hasn't fixed it yet, so
back to regular old flaming for me for now :)

Jeri
01-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Madcat - what is the tubing made of that you are using to protect the mandrel? Does it go all the way through the bead or just on either side? I am working on getting the hang of sandblasting and it is the resist part that is a struggle. I am working with both the photo imaging thing and the contact paper resist. Neither of which have actually gotten into a blasting cabinet yet! How to hole the beads is actually an important issue. Jeri

MadCatBeads
01-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi Jeri,

what is the tubing made of that you are using to protect the mandrel? Does it go all the way through the bead or just on either side?

It is a white plastic tube that I slipped onto one of my rods and it goes right up to the edge of the bead. I thought I would put the tube on each side of the bead to keep the clamps away from the bead. I have not had a chance to try it out yet. Will let you know how it works out.
CarolAnne
ps...Jennifer, Im a big fan of your work, it is so beautiful!

bjcohan
01-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Jennifer -

That is one GORGEOUS vessel. It has a lush Mediterranean look. Really pretty.

On the sandblasting of beads, you may also want to contact MaryAnn Williams. I know that she was blasting some of her fused pieces some time ago into really stunning art deco designs. She may have tried it with her lampworked beads as well and likely has some tips to share...

Thanks for the eye candy! Your beads never fail to elicit lots of ooohs and aaahs.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Barb