PDA

View Full Version : Oil-based primer for oil pastels?

Peiwend
04-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I was looking through some unfinished oil paintings that I had lost interest in. It occurred to me that it might be fun to rework them with oil pastels. They are thoroughly dry, smooth and, because of glazing, fairly shiny. They are on gessoed linen mounted on Masonite. Despite what they say about oil pastels being able to be used on any surface, they didn't work too well. It would be risky to use the acrylic-based primer over oil paint. I tried mixing some pumice powder with Winsor & Newton Liquin (an oil-based alkyd medium for oil paints) and tried it on a sample. It seemed to work and gave me some tooth similar to Colourfix primer. It is also semi-transparent so I can see the oil painting underneath.

Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't work over the long term? Do you have any other suggestions?

__________________________________Wendell

Shirl Parker
04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
The painting below was originally a soft pastel painting. I didn't like softies, so I shook it, bopped it on the back, brushed it, vacuumed it, rolled it with a lint roller, and then spread alkyd gel all over it. I could still see the outlines underneath, and then I repainted it in oil pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2008/113427-CorpseFlower.JPG

Peiwend
04-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Thank you, Shirl. That's a beautiful painting and I love the colours you used!

Mixing the pumice powder with the Liquin alkyd medium made it a bit more matte and gave it a bit of tooth.

For anyone interested, I got the pumice powder at www.danielsmith.com for $7.75 a pound. They also have some nice coloured gessos. I got the buff titanium, stone gray and white which, hopefully, when mixed should give a light warm greenish gray. I also got some of the metallic gold gesso and want to try it with the pumice and a bit of water mixed in. It might be interesting for a flower painting in oil pastel. Worth a try, anyway!

____________________________Wendell

Pat Isaac
04-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Beautifu painting, Shirl. I remember that one. I have just done some paintings with an oil glaze underneath and didn't seem to have that problem. It could be because they were on colorfix primed board. I don't see why that wouldn't work, Wendell. Thanks also for the info on the primer.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Beautifule painting, Shirl. What fascinates me is the background (not that the flower isn't great). Just the right amount of muted detail to give the impression of structure and the gradiation from the greens at the top to the darks at the bottom, then that little shy patch of pinkish just barely poking its head from behind some greenery!!!

Very nice.

Wendell--:eek: :eek: I didn't know there was anything you couldn't do with paint! Must have been bad paint! Just call it a bad paint day!!

Ok. Ok., I'm working on Homer, but these assignments are getting a little tougher, teach!

Bill
:music: :heart: :music:

Peiwend
04-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Pat, I think it should work. For oil paintings I put the gesso on with a knife and sand it very smooth before painting and glazing so it needs more tooth.

BILL! So this is where you're hiding out! Slacking off while teach is working hard before the fruit flies come back. I saw one yesterday but have only one more sky to do.

Maybe you need more homework, Bill. How about a nice Church? No, not an easy painting of a little church and steeple but a Frederick Church! "Heart of the Andes" will keep you out of mischief for a while along with Albert Bierstadt's "Among the Sierra Nevadas" with each leaf individually painted.

Now you've got me started.... a Bouguereau, perhaps? I could go on and on but I'll stop now.

_____________________________Wendell

Scarefishcrow
04-08-2008, 04:34 PM
:eek:Pat, I think it should work. For oil paintings I put the gesso on with a knife and sand it very smooth before painting and glazing so it needs more tooth.

BILL! So this is where you're hiding out! Slacking off while teach is working hard before the fruit flies come back. I saw one yesterday but have only one more sky to do.

Maybe you need more homework, Bill. How about a nice Church? No, not an easy painting of a little church and steeple but a Frederick Church! "Heart of the Andes" will keep you out of mischief for a while along with Albert Bierstadt's "Among the Sierra Nevadas" with each leaf individually painted.

Now you've got me started.... a Bouguereau, perhaps? I could go on and on but I'll stop now.

_____________________________Wendell

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: EEEEEEkkkkkk! This man has eyes everywhere. I'm still working on Winslow; Somebody take his art history books away before he kills me!!

But, PLEEEEEASE, no Whistler!!!! I'll do anything, just don't make me do "Arrangement in Gray and Black No. 1"!!!!!

I'll be good, I promise.

:angel: :angel: :angel:
P.S...Can I use my new set of Kama Oil Sticks??????? Got here a lot quicker than the EGOP's, security must be slippling!"

Bill
:music: :heart: :music:

Pat Isaac
04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
But, PLEEEEEASE, no Whistler!!!! I'll do anything, just don't make me do "Arrangement in Gray and Black No. 1"!!!!!

Aha, Bill, me thinks thou doth protest too much......be careful....:evil:

You have Kama oil sticks??? I'll be interested to see if they are very soft and creamy like my R&Fs.

Pat

Peiwend
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
No, no, no, Bill.....no Whistler! It's way too easy!

And none of those easy Bouguereaus either! "The Nymphaeum" done with Kama Oil Sticks should appeal to your academic side. Or would you prefer Bouguereau's "Nymphs and Satyr" or "The Birth of Venus". I'm sure Pat can suggest copies of other paintings to keep you out of mischief.

I'm glad you got the Kama Oil Sticks and look forward to hearing about your experiences with them.

______________________________Wendell