PDA

View Full Version : Th-th-th-tha- THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

tgsloth
04-05-2008, 09:41 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-05-2008/124239_Impossible_Flower.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Th-th-th-tha- THAT'S ALL FOLKS!
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Well that's not really the title of the painting. I call the painting "impossible flower", but it's my way of signaling that I've been posting every day or two since I joined in November and my library of images is now exhusted. And what a tremendous value I've received from all the thoughtful comments I've gotten from my new circle of cyber friends. I cannot thank you all enough.

New posts will track my actual output and that will constitute a rough 80% diminution in frequency.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I did this pastel on "clayboard" sanded panel and suggest that it's a pretty effective surface for pastel. I've had some difficulties with Sennelier "the card" because it's delicate and sometimes tears if you get too aggressive with drawing or blending.

Do you guys like my flower?

Spyderbabe
04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
zowie! BIG visual impact! Yes, like very much!
I didnt know you could use pastel (oil?) on clayboard. Gotta try it.
So now the pressure is on you to produce since we're use to a new TG every day.
One edge - (middle left) think it is a ruffled petal edge but might be a butterfly?
Call for TScottDove to come see this!

kathrynlovespets
04-05-2008, 10:49 AM
wow, incredibly beautiful
my favorite...

tgsloth
04-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Ruffled edge of petal is right. From the reference.
Jeez, still need to post every day or two. Hmmmm. What if I develop new 1x1 1/4" format?
It's dry pastel. The clayboard shpiel says it's good for that and it is. I've actually bought a set of oil pastels but have only sketched a bit with them. I've done a lot of dry pastel work. Like everyone else, I'm fond of Wallis paper but I think art spectrum is fine and they also make a liquid gesso+pumice concoction which you can slather on anything to create a pastel grabbing surface. Many pastelists like using toothy paper (cheap) but I just can't bear the way you don't get full coverage. It's sand paper for me. Sometimes I sand off some of my fingers but you've got to suffer for your art.

Dana Design
04-05-2008, 12:08 PM
tg, it's beautiful! I"ll miss your daily postings, drat! But post new work when you can. Or take some "in progress" work into the WIPs so we can watch it progress.

You're a gem!

Barbie Bud
04-05-2008, 01:40 PM
This is really lovely. You are a painting machine, I'm so impressed with how many paintings you post and all the different mediums you use. You're an inspiration. Barb

Corby
04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
TG! that is a fabulous Chinese Hybiscus!!! Not only beautiful but identifiable without being a botanical study. Whadayamean! Your out o paintings! Get busy my friend. paint for us! talk to us!

tgsloth
04-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Here's talk
Then I get back to the easel
The trouble with painting a Chinese Hybiscus is a half hour later you want to paint again.
And another bon bon to you who has helped me and others more than anyone else.

Dana Design
04-05-2008, 02:35 PM
:lol: Here's talk
Then I get back to the easel
The trouble with painting a Chinese Hybiscus is a half hour later you want to paint again.
And another bon bon to you who has helped me and others more than anyone else.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

billmahler
04-05-2008, 02:58 PM
painting a Chinese Hybiscus

Well, you must have had a YEN to do it!

I'll miss your rapid fire postings, but I hope we get to see your comments while you restock the inventory

MRSBB
04-05-2008, 04:46 PM
You know tg, this forum would not be the same without all your paintings. I also am impressed by all the mediums you use, and use well. You know there is an image library here on wet canvas with thousands of reference photos. So take the day off and download some more references. Your Hybiscus above is a smash. Love the colors and it really grabs your attention. Keep having fun with your art......Lenore

star7
04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
WOW, It is beautiful, nancy

cbcarnell
04-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Gorgeous hibiscus! Really enjoy your postings, and hope you keep showing us what you are doing.

zoropb
04-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Very Pretty Mr B.

Sergio

Clive Lutley
04-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Nice one. Looking forward to your comments and suggestions anyway which are always fun and "edgy". Give us the pleasure of seeing your new work as often as possible.