PDA

View Full Version : Just to say Hi and introduce myself...

Shirley C.
07-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Hello WC folks!

I'm Shirley Cook, also know as jumpdogmom, and I'm a "transplant" from the ISGB forum. I've read bunches of stuff out here, posted a few comments here and there, and figured I should probably say hi to all. So hi! It's nice "seeing" some familiar faces, hope to meet some new folks as well. WC seems like a very nice place - glad to be here!

I've been buying glass beads and making jewelry since 1996, and making glass beads since April of 2000. In fact, I'm gonna go do that right now!

Here are a few things I've been up to lately:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2002/VaseAndCosmos.JPG

I'm off to the torch - see you later! :)

macbeth7
07-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Hi Shirley! :clap:

Beth

BlackDotMags
07-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Hi, Shirley! Thanks for doing an official intro, and sharing these great bead pics with us!

I really like the soft curves of the first bead...very sleek and feminine-looking! And the second bead, it's hard to tell on my monitor, but is the base color cobalt or black? The metallic spiraling really sets it off! Great beads! :clap:

Mags
~~~~~

macbeth7
07-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Oh yeah, cool beads too! :D

Beth

Laura Brito
07-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Ohhhhh Ahhhh what pretty beads! I really like them both, very nice coloring and interesting shape!

Welcome aboard! We are so hapopy to see you here!

And all the others out there who are Lurking! hehe, we see you you know! Come out, Come out, whereever you are! Come on everyone start your own introduction thread! So we can welcome you! If you don't we still welcome you here!

Laura

b2beads
07-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Hi Shirley! What great beads! Did you make the metallic spiral by first cutting out the shape and laying it on the marver and "picking it up" like that? Or do you have some other double secret method? I've been trying to come up with a way to do straight linear patterns in foil, and am about to try the above method - no idea if it'll work or not. I assume you have to case with clear pretty quickly or it burns off. I'd love to know more...

B2

Lara
07-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Shirley:

Rally cool beads. I too would like to know how you did the silver swirl, I'm guessing a punch out??

Lara

Shirley C.
07-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Thanks!

The base bead (on the right) is cobalt. The spiral is heavy silver foil, and yes I punched it out. I often get punchy. :p

I put it on my marver, then picked it up with the bead. Then I burnished it on before encasing it.

I'm just taking a quick torch break - had to change my oxy tank. Back to the flame - see y'all!

wildfirelauri
07-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Hi SHIRLEY, sHIRLEY, Shirley, ShIrLeY, sHiRlEy, Shirl, :clap:

Hey Guess what, I'm at Jiley's, torching. Sooo, call us dammit!

Glassy79
07-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by wildfirelauri
Hi SHIRLEY, sHIRLEY, Shirley, ShIrLeY, sHiRlEy, Shirl, :clap:

Hey Guess what, I'm at Jiley's, torching. Sooo, call us dammit!

Say hi to Jily for me.

Richard aka Dave's not here

margaretz
07-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the pics of both beads! the first bead... it's so voluptuous! (i'm also happy i get to use the word voluptuous, it's one of my favorites) And great colors on the second.
welcome. it's nice here, isn't it?

b2beads
07-05-2002, 07:08 PM
:evil: OMG! Jiley, Shirley & Lauri all in the same state (which, of course, is the state of confusion...)! Californians, stay in your homes, lock the doors and go to the basement or innermost room in your house (or beadmaking studio, but arm yourselves!) This is not a test. I repeat this is NOT a test....

b2 (who had noticed a slight imbalance in the solar system today...oh...opps, my fault, I forgot to take my meds...)

wildfirelauri
07-05-2002, 07:19 PM
Why is it that whenever I come out to torch with Jiley, I have to defend myself. I repeat...we ARE completely harmless. We NEVER instigate trouble. We ARE meek and mild. You must have us confused with some other Jiley & Lauri, as we just quietly torch away the time. I, personally am quite shy and I try to tell Jiley that she needs to come out of her shell. GEEEEEEZE! Shirley, tell B2 & Glassy to backoff cuz I'm soooo sensitive....going back to my hiding spot and calling my therapist....tsk tsk tsk
:evil: :p :rolleyes:

Rose Queen
07-05-2002, 07:56 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas, Shirley! C'mon into chat some evening so we can 'meet' you!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

ValorieCox
07-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Welcome Shirley, great to see a photo of the artist and those scrumptous beads!

I'm particularily fond of that blue one...everything about it, the shape, colors, details! Thanks for sharing them with us. It's inspired me to get some of my own photos together, and make my own introduction in the next day or two. Best, Valorie

Shirley C.
07-05-2002, 08:07 PM
Hey, folks, don't believe a word of it. Jiley & Lauri together... hell on wheels! I'm staying down here in the bay area where it's safe. :D

Are youse guys doing more collaborations? Will we get to see them soon? And Lauri, how long you gonna be around? Actually, when are you going to move out here girl? Eh? Maybe you can live in Jiley's studio - Bear would love it, I'm sure!

Nonie
07-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Hey there Shirley! Welcome to Wet Canvas! I love your beads. The're beautiful and I especially love the spiral on the blue bead.

Jiley
07-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Shirley C.
Hey, folks, don't believe a word of it. Jiley & Lauri together... hell on wheels! I'm staying down here in the bay area where it's safe. :D

WUS
:angel: :angel: :angel:

Shirley C.
07-05-2002, 09:36 PM
Now doesn't it just figure - Jiley's first post out here on WC is a smart-alec remark! ;)

(I guess I deserved it...)

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the beads - it has definitely brightened my day!! I sure needed it - I've been on the torch off and on since 11 this morning, and I think I've got a total of maybe 6 good beads. Some days are meant for doing other things, I guess.

Let's see more bead pix - I love looking at everyone's stuff!

Jennifer Geldard
07-05-2002, 10:27 PM
hey there Shirley :)

this is fun over here isn't it???
Way less political brewha! ... just fun. :)
I swear I'll get a reduction bead to you soon... as soon as I stop obsessing about sand blasting.... really.

Shirley C.
07-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Hey, Jen -
Yeah, much more comfy over here! And don't worry - bead doesn't have to get here for another month. So on August 7, you can start to panic! ;)

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-06-2002, 12:57 AM
Norm and I are on here but are still trying to walk through how to post pictures and other things. This is our first reply to see just what works. Can we be flies on Jiley's wall?????
Bobby and Norm

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-06-2002, 01:01 AM
OOPS forgot.....Shirley second bead on it's way and I am glad since we just got a lapping machine and guess where we will be playing for awhile......Bobby

Shirley C.
07-06-2002, 02:59 AM
Hey, Bobby, good to see you over here! I got your bead in the mail today, and it is yummy!

I spent a bunch of time after dinner tonight trying to redeem myself on the torch (had the worst bead day I've had since I started making beads - no joke!), and I did lots of reduction stuff. I am SO hooked on it right now, it's showing up everywhere in my beads.

Well it's midnight, and I'm beat. Nighty night...

Modesto
07-06-2002, 05:29 AM
Welcome to WC Shirley:clap:

I like your new photo much better:D

macbeth7
07-07-2002, 03:19 PM
...peering at the flies on the wall...

Hi Bobby & Norm, welcome to WC! :clap: Hope you figure out the pic thing soon so you can post some.

:cool:
Beth

macbeth7
07-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Oh, hi Jiley too! :clap: Hope you & Lauri didn't get into too much trouble!

:D
Beth

Anne Londez
07-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Hi Shirley,
I love those beads :clap:

And Hi to Jiley and Lauri too

I can't wait to see you all again.
Anne